High quality cables for UM3X RC/SM3 V2
Dec 5, 2011 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

miow

Member of the Trade: X-Elite (Headphone mods)
aka dimitri42.
Hi everyone,

Can you please recommend me the best cables for my UM3X RC or SM3 V2, that really make a difference on sound quality? I'm willing to invest on better cables. Do they really make a difference, for eg. like tips do? Which ones do you recommend the most?

Thanks.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks alot eclipes. Will try the Silver Dragon. They are made for Westone wich is great for my UM3X RC, but any idea if it works on the Earsonics SM3 V2?

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 14
not sure about the SM3, you have to check on that. The other 2 cables I've actually tried on my um3x so its good. I think sm3 has the same plug too i think.

Quote:
Thanks alot eclipes. Will try the Silver Dragon. They are made for Westone wich is great for my UM3X RC, but any idea if it works on the Earsonics SM3 V2?

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 14
definitely, its 2 completely different sound signature. Silver dragon is more spacious sounding, deeper bass and larger soundstage. DHC is more forward like, more dynamic, improve all frequencies. Silver dragon is more laid back, natural to the ears and less fatigue. I really like both cables but when it comes down to ergonomics, silver dragon is much better. I have to commute for 4 hours a day so the cable has to work well or else i get aggravated by it. I wear glasses so the Silver dragon had a much thinner cable going around my ear and it held in place without any memory wire. Its black and thin which is more low profile. DHC, a very nice looking cable, sturdy but thicker than usual cables. Does not like to bend around my ears and making it loose and awkward with my glasses as well, overall not as comfortable especially for 4 days a day. Much thicker, heavier and requires more effort to store such as using Pelican cases or something larger. Very high profile, attracts a lot of attention (could be plus or minus for you, I don't like attention for my audio gear.)

Hope this helps, also check out the IEM cable thread by average_joe, impressions are pretty similar to mine. You might like the other cables being reviewed as well.

Quote:
Did you notice any difference from the Silver Dragon IEM to the DHC 's?

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 14
When you say that DHC improve all frequencies what do you notice exactly on bass? More quality or quantity? Or both? Doesn't this happen with Silver Dragon? I'm particularly interested on the bass improvement, since it is, IMO, the SM3's weakness. But I would like to see all frequencies improved as well. SM3 has great dynamics, but wish I could get some more. This ultra high quality cable thing is getting interesting ; )

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 14
yes bass does improve with the DHC. There is definitely more tight bass in the DHC compared to the silver dragon. However Silver dragon has a much DEEPER bass, more depth in the spectrum.

Quote:
When you say that DHC improve all frequencies what do you notice exactly on bass? More quality or quantity? Or both? Doesn't this happen with Silver Dragon? I'm particularly interested on the bass improvement, since it is, IMO, the SM3's weakness. But I would like to see all frequencies improved as well. SM3 has great dynamics, but wish I could get some more. This ultra high quality cable thing is getting interesting ; )

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 14
I read that with the DHC cables you can hear things you couldn't before. Does this happens with the silver dragon as well? I'm starting to believe that the DHC is more transparent, more detailed... Don't know if I got the wrong idea or not.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 14
both cables are high quality and capable of doing that. It all comes down to the sound signature you prefer. DHC is indeed very transparent and neutral. I prefer the silver dragon more details.

Quote:
I read that with the DHC cables you can hear things you couldn't before. Does this happens with the silver dragon as well? I'm starting to believe that the DHC is more transparent, more detailed... Don't know if I got the wrong idea or not.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 14
sorry for asking this, but i was wondering if anybody knew the difference between a silver cable and a gold plated copper cable. Is there a noticeable difference between these two materials? Also which one would be the better cable?

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 14
there is no definite answer to this. Both has its advantages for sure. Gold plated or Silver plated copper cables are usually best of both worlds, meaning no harshness from the silver but while maintaining the fast dynamic sound. However if a silver cable is properly designed and well made, it is much more superior imo. Poorly made silver cables usually are really harsh, thin and cold sound.

Quote:
sorry for asking this, but i was wondering if anybody knew the difference between a silver cable and a gold plated copper cable. Is there a noticeable difference between these two materials? Also which one would be the better cable?

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 14
So in other words, would the gold plated copper be better overall due to the fact that it does not oxidize compared to just a silver cable? Also lets say that both types of cables were gold plated, then silver would beat the copper.
Quote:
there is no definite answer to this. Both has its advantages for sure. Gold plated or Silver plated copper cables are usually best of both worlds, meaning no harshness from the silver but while maintaining the fast dynamic sound. However if a silver cable is properly designed and well made, it is much more superior imo. Poorly made silver cables usually are really harsh, thin and cold sound.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 14
if I was investing in a new cable, I would choose a well made silver, which is better in the long run... more durable, sounds better and definitely worth the price.

Quote:
So in other words, would the gold plated copper be better overall due to the fact that it does not oxidize compared to just a silver cable? Also lets say that both types of cables were gold plated, then silver would beat the copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back