High pitch screech from AV-710
Jan 20, 2008 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I tried to search on this but didn't get anywhere.
I have an AV-710 that about every 5th time I turn my Dell Dimension 2350 on it emits a high pitched squeal,screech, tone...whatever you want to call the ear shattering abomination that comes out of my speakers. I have to reboot in order to get it to stop but it seems to be getting worse. I just had to reboot 5 times! Any suggestions...please? I'm at wit's end and am about to revert to the crappy on board card.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 9
is it only when you have no other sound coming through? also, is it on headphones?

as I understand it, a lot of times a card in the pci slot can emit this soundand there's nothing much that can be done besides moving it to another slot and hoping for the best.

I'm not sure (assuming headphones) if putting an amp in between will help, or if any particular equipment will stop it. I actually was going to ask this in my own thread but instead I'll see if it gets answered here since you are wondering as well... that is, is there equipment that will both improve quality and stop this noise? (I'm thinking headphone amp).

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 9
sell it to me, i'll fix it

have you tried other comps?

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 9
I had this issue with Audigy2 on one PC. I am using AV-710 on a PC right now and X-Fi on another and get none of that screeching anymore. I think it is a mb compatibility issue. Could be due to bus hogging or something like that. Fooling around with PCI latency might fix it.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be due to bus hogging or something like that. Fooling around with PCI latency might fix it.

Any way you could translate that for an old biologist?
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkweg
Could be due to bus hogging or something like that. Fooling around with PCI latency might fix it.

Can anyone translate this for an old biologist?

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 9
*shrug* remove AV-710 and put it in a different PCI slot, reinstall VIA Arena 4.73b drivers.

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 9
i thought that my card must be broken

mine only does it from cold boot

to get rid of it I require another boot

then i never get it until my pc has been completely off for a while then im very likely to get the noise.

It has been alot less with the lastest drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back