High-performance PS2/XBOX component cable?
Jan 1, 2005 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys. This idea has been in my mind for quite some time now. Would there be a way to construct a DIY PS2 or XBOX component video cable? All I see is Monster crap out there; it would be really cool to make my own with good wire and plugs. The only problem is; I can't find any male connectors for my PS2, nor is there a pin-out diagram for connecting the pins to wire.

Jan 1, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 21
Dude, it's not worth it. Just the official component cables. They are out there. With hardware like the PS2 and Xbox I'll be stupified if you can notice the benefits of better cables.

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 21
Really? I'd think that you would be able to notice significant difference; if not to resolution then at least to colour. Plus the official cables are cheaply built; I want something that will last.

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 21
there is nothing wrong with trying to squeeze better A/V performance out of any componant even a lowly gaming platform.

In fact i remeber seeing somewhere a person had gotton hold of the buss pin designations and ran an external DAC/headphone amp/power amp buffer and reported great results even using the platform as his CD Trnsport.

I get a chance i will see what i can dig up but not today folks,i am still wobbly from last night
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 21
I'm going to eventually do this for my Xbox. Here's a pinout. Pain in the butt, it looks like, but could be fun.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 21
I'm with HD-5000, great gaming boxes they are but it would be the same as using silver cable with a $30 Akai cdplayer. Money is better spent on a larger screen or on the games. All R&D in these units go into performance of the actual graphic chips and processors simply because the average consumer doesn't care.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I'm with HD-5000, great gaming boxes they are but it would be the same as using silver cable with a $30 Akai cdplayer. Money is better spent on a larger screen or on the games. All R&D in these units go into performance of the actual graphic chips and processors simply because the average consumer doesn't care.

Have you ever A/B'd composite vs. component video? I don't care how crappy your DVD player or TV is, there is a noticeable difference between the two. You get a nicer TV and the difference becomes even more evident. The 'R&D' of the graphics chips (at least for the Xbox) subsists of an off the shelf nVidia GeForce.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Have you ever A/B'd composite vs. component video? I don't care how crappy your DVD player or TV is, there is a noticeable difference between the two. You get a nicer TV and the difference becomes even more evident. The 'R&D' of the graphics chips (at least for the Xbox) subsists of an off the shelf nVidia GeForce.

I think he means between quality (or in this case DIY) component and generic component. I'm only aware of the Sony/MS branded cables and their Monster Cable counterparts...good luck finding an A/B test between the two though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 21
Well, technically, it's not exactly an off-the-shelf GeForce. IIRC, NV2A (Xbox GPU) = NV20 (GeForce3) + an extra vertex shader. Also, weird clocks.

This is nitpicking, though. Your point is still perfectly valid: there's nothing so horribly substandard about console hardware that it can't benefit from at least decent-quality ICs. I'm not really a great believer in the power of ICs, myself, but I will say that the branded cables have awful build quality in many cases. At the very least, it's pretty easy to argue that you want to spend an extra few bucks just to get something that will last longer and look better. Performance differences just sweeten the deal.

Using exotic fancypants cables with an Xbox or PS2 is another matter entirely, of course, but I doubt that's what null had in mind.

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 21
if i am understanding null he is just looking to get the most he can out of what he has and THAT my freinds is what DIY is all about.

It is not just the new design or scratch build but also improving on a product in areas the manufacturer had no choice to cut corners to get the product out at a certain price point.

would anyone ridicule someone modding a $45 DVD player ?

A $50 sound card ?

Putting better parts on a marginal quality headphone amp ?

so why would this be different.Better Video and superior Audio is a goal we all seek or why bother with this forum at all ?

I'll look into that pinout now and get back but I'll tel you guys : If a product is made and enough sold someone somewhere has founfd a way to make inprovements and most of those for cheap.

DIYers are mostly a budget conscience bunch exept for those who will pay big bucks for a jack not because it is superior in operation but because it "looks cool".
i personally fall on the :biggest bang for the buck" side of things and if I can spend $1 to achieve a thing NO WAY am i willing to spend even $1.50 !
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDA
Well, technically, it's not exactly an off-the-shelf GeForce. IIRC, NV2A (Xbox GPU) = NV20 (GeForce3) + an extra vertex shader. Also, weird clocks.

Well, yes. Custom made. I was in a hurry and didn't want to dig up links.

Quote:

This is nitpicking, though. Your point is still perfectly valid...

Agreed
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'm not really a great believer in the power of ICs, myself, but I will say that the branded cables have awful build quality in many cases. At the very least, it's pretty easy to argue that you want to spend an extra few bucks just to get something that will last longer and look better. Performance differences just sweeten the deal.

Precisely. It's like why I want to build my own guitar cables - I know any sound differences will be minute, (proper shielding will probably help more than anything) but mainly I want them to be bulletproof, and look cool while doing so. Black heatshrink (or red, perhaps, to match my bass...) with Chrome TechFlex oughta do the trick.

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Precisely. It's like why I want to build my own guitar cables - I know any sound differences will be minute, (proper shielding will probably help more than anything) but mainly I want them to be bulletproof, and look cool while doing so. Black heatshrink (or red, perhaps, to match my bass...) with Chrome TechFlex oughta do the trick.

I never understood how so many are willing to pay big bucks for a cable because it looked cool but performed the same or in fact was IDENTICAL to the high ticket one except for some "makeup",the "window dressing".

But DIY i say hell yes !

even though two cables may use the same exact "wire" the dressing up is a more self expressive art and one that can be great fun.

kinda puts an "E" into DIY (Do E xpress Yourself)

BTW-have not given up but i can not find anything on this yet and I have dug into some of my more "ricks super secret links" files.

I never quit though so..................
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back