high or low gain for xonar dg?
Dec 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

fonmastersync

New Head-Fier
I just got my xonar dg yesterday. There were a few issues with the card I had to deal with.

1. The card made a buzzing sound when playing music. I found that whenever I used smart volume this occurs. I had to turn it off.

2. the Windows navigation sounds are how do I put this... fast forwarded? It only returns to normal while playing other sounds. I fixed this by setting my microphone to listen and muting it. Not an ideal solution but it works.

Hopefully this information helps whoever has this problem as well.
Lastly we come to this problem.
3. there's a slight buzzing noise when using my headphones. Now I'm using Sennheiser HD515's with 120 ohms impedance. The Xonar DG was listed with an amp for headphones up to 300 ohms, but apparently this amp isn't really an amp. It just increases the gain of headphones. There are 3 different modes. <32, 32-64, and >64 ohms. I set the gain mode to >64 ohms, but now there's buzzing. A slight one, but it's still there. I'm considering going back to the low gain option.

With the high gain option, the windows sound is at about 15%.
With the low gain option, the windows sound is at about 75%.
I've read that for amplifiers and speakers, it is better to set the windows sound to 80-90% and to adjust amplifier volume from there. This results in a more bit-perfect sound since the windows audio is digital. I'm not sure if this is the same with the Xonar DG since it is not a true amplifier. Should I use the high gain option or the low gain option? Would my audio quality be worsened by using the low gain option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back