High latency and audio crackling (ndis.sys driver)
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MhanzABON

New Head-Fier
Hi, here I am again. These days I've noticed every 15 minutes or so I hear a crackle in my earphones, which otherwise have no problems. Searching I found it might a problem caused by high latency, and leaving LatencyMon running after various troubleshooting (still in course btw), it always comes down to this:
high latency.png

ndis.sys, the network adapter driver, seems to be the main problem. I can't just turn it off, since I need internet so I'm trying to find a workaround. For now I tried to:
- Updating the driver;
- Disenabling and enabling the driver;
- Unistalling the driver and rebooting;
- Checking for a BIOS update, my laptop is apparently up to date since it doesn't start updating on reboot after installing from the ASUS site;
- System file check through cmd.

I apologize if there is already another thread, it's late and I'll search with keyword around the forum too, I wanted to get at least a thread out of the way.
drivers page.png

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello again. I don't recall hearing any cases where latency caused crackling or popping here on Head-Fi. Interesting application, it even says that clicks or pops may occur because of buffer underruns. I don't think I can help much, but here are my results:
thing.jpg

I don't think this applies to laptops: I have the manufacturer app for the motherboard to see if things like the BIOS, audio drivers, network, etc. needs updating. I have heard many reasons why crackling or pops may occur, but I highly doubt they apply to you: hair vibrating on drivers, defective cable, defective drivers, and even magnetic interference due to someone having a stack of pennies on his desk.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Hello again. I don't recall hearing any cases where latency caused crackling or popping here on Head-Fi. Interesting application, it even says that clicks or pops may occur because of buffer underruns. I don't think I can help much, but here are my results:
thing.jpg

I don't think this applies to laptops: I have the manufacturer app for the motherboard to see if things like the BIOS, audio drivers, network, etc. needs updating. I have heard many reasons why crackling or pops may occur, but I highly doubt they apply to you: hair vibrating on drivers, defective cable, defective drivers, and even magnetic interference due to someone having a stack of pennies on his desk.
Weird no one ever had this problem, I do find a bunch of results online but they all seem pointless for now. I'll try searching an Intel app for that, but scouting the Asus app no important update I missed seems to pop out.
The only interference I could think of is the laptop cooler pad I rest my laptop on, but seems unlikely, yeah. If anything my laptop is a bit old (5 years) under heavy use, so I wouldn't surprise if that's a dead end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back