High(ish) End Replacement for IE80
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cricketbaby

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser IE80s. I've owned 2 pairs of the IE8s and 1 pair of the IE80s which unfortunately were recently stolen. I've been getting by on my HD25-1s for commuting but I don't think I can last much longer! 

I definitely don't want to go down the Sennheiser route as the previous IEMs I've owned have been fraught with problems and I can't afford to even consider the IE800s! 

I've got a (very) vague shortlist at the minute consisting of Shure SE315, UE Triple Fi 10, Sony XBA3iP or XBA4iP. 

I definitely want to keep things bass orientated coming from the IE80s but I never thought there was enough high end on them for my liking, this seems to be the perfect opportunity to address that and I'm curious to try a multi BA driver setup. 

Can you offer any advice to the above options or suggest anything further? I realise there's quite a price difference between the SE315 and the XBA4iP but as with everything sound-related, it it's genuinely worth it I don't mind! 

Thanks in advance!

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Multi BAs aren't a necessity to be honest but the other options all are. I think I'll rule Shure out full stop. Going to look into the Sonys in a bit more depth. I think I'll probably go down that route.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 11
The sound quality of XBA-4(0) is very good. It has rich bass and very detailed high-range. But you should wear this straight down the cable and it causes significant microphonics. I can't bear the noises.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 11
cool.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Hi guys, 

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser IE80s. I've owned 2 pairs of the IE8s and 1 pair of the IE80s which unfortunately were recently stolen. I've been getting by on my HD25-1s for commuting but I don't think I can last much longer! 

I definitely don't want to go down the Sennheiser route as the previous IEMs I've owned have been fraught with problems and I can't afford to even consider the IE800s! 

I've got a (very) vague shortlist at the minute consisting of Shure SE315, UE Triple Fi 10, Sony XBA3iP or XBA4iP. 

I definitely want to keep things bass orientated coming from the IE80s but I never thought there was enough high end on them for my liking, this seems to be the perfect opportunity to address that and I'm curious to try a multi BA driver setup. 

Can you offer any advice to the above options or suggest anything further? I realise there's quite a price difference between the SE315 and the XBA4iP but as with everything sound-related, it it's genuinely worth it I don't mind! 

Thanks in advance!

Dude... if u ldont like the ie80 treble and love the bass yet need the same amount of details...... i wouldn't go for a XBA4... ( this suck since its very source dependent 8ohms) Shure SE315 is not your cup of tea, its more of a mid- oriented iem but its very underrated among head-fiers due to its price ,,, which i think its not a huge issue considering its built quality and sound Sig... 

What u can give a try is the new JVC FXZ200's which is amazing in my view...  a great bass oriented iem, with amazing highs and mids.. ( IF not the best bass driven iEM ever made) .. give it a try or look upon a pair of TF10s ( highs are great but everything elz is not even par with IE80's )     .... im not a sennheiser fan boy here, yet i believe the real capability's of IE80's are more vast and way better than some great Top Tier iem's.. ( with the Tape mode ; its even better than a pair of Westone 4's or a pair of sm64's ) 

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 11
What are the differences between the 4 and the 40? Can see the 40s are available as a Jap import on Amazon.com for about £160

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Both XBA 40 and JVC FXZ 200 are in the same level. Both have strong bass but the Sony is a little more detailed in the highs and more soundstage. I have both and prefer the Sony. JVC is a little dark for my taste. Use them with Fiio E11.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I went for the XBA-40 after reading the ways in which Sony have improved over the first gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back