High Impedance Cans
Dec 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sp70

100+ Head-Fier
New poster here, wondering where to go on my headphone journey...

I currently own a pair of Grado SR80s, and have been generally happy with them. I just pulled the trigger on a Maverick D1 though, and since the gain is so high, I thought the Maverick might be better suited to a higher impedance phone.

The Grados are pretty good, but...When I first got into high end gear, I was raised listening to JBL 4311b studio monitors, so i'm very accustomed to that sort of neutral sound. The Grados are quite a bit different, not to mention, i've noticed the soundstage on the Grados to be a little strange.

I listen to mainly a wide variety of rock, from the quietest progressive rock, to the loudest power metal. I'm not so much worried about getting a phone that will have a colored bass or in-your-face sound, as much as i'm looking for a can that can reproduce it a bit more accurately while still retaining that toe-tapping feel that the Grados give me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have many requirements, I don't care if its open, partial or closed, though I would like to keep prices relatively low (~$200, though, if one might think there is a perfect can for me that does cost more than that, feel free to post it too.) Lastly, a smaller concern, possibly something that will be a bit more comfortable and look a bit better than the Grados, I often listen for long periods and the Grados require breaks for sore ears during long sessions.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance! This is such a cool forum.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 7
I guess i'm just looking for new cans that fit this criteria in general.

AKG K601s maybe?

My source is mostly FLAC / ALAC running out of a thinkpad via USB into the Maverick (when I get it, that is.
wink.gif
still on preorder.)

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 7
bump

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG Sextetts

Why? These are also a discontinued model which makes it harder to find. What characteristics do these have that fit my qualifications? Thanks.
k701smile.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 7
i like the akg 240m 600 ohm model over the sextetts and the 240df. its also discontinued but was prodeced until several yrs ago -so primo condition 240m's are out there.
these really sing with a proper amp and are a prime example of what a high impedance headphone can be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back