High frequency hearing fatigue? how do I know?
Nov 19, 2011 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

matmal

Head-Fier
Hey all, just got HD598's and i really enjoy them so far.  But even before them with my hd212's I have been very sensitive to treble for awhile now.

I listen at very very low volume (always at my computer) because the high frequencies are just too harsh for me (with any headphone I have used) and it seems i cant really enjoy the music at this low volume.

My question is, what should I do if this is hearing fatigue, should i not listen at all for a few days? I have already turned down the treble through my EQ.  (which seemed to help)

Maybe i just have sensitive hearing?  I just want to be smart here, i have been careful with my ears for the past 10 years (im 26) never listening to loud volumes and always using earplugs if needed, i went to 1 or 2 concerts when i was younger without earplugs, and i hope i wont pay a price for that..

I do have ringing in my ears at night time when its quiet and I'm falling asleep but it is very faint and it almost seems normal to me?

Anyway any tips or advice is welcome thanks!

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 14
Some songs are harsh independent of the headphones used.

Next time try to buy headphones that are described as warm, have recessed treble/upper mids, or even go as far as veiled headphones.

Maybe even neutral headphones are too trebly for you.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 14
Very possible.  I was doing this online frequency test for hearing, i can hear up to 17000hz but even at the lowest volume that freq is so obnoxious!

Question, in my sound cards EQ it only goes up to 8,000hz, if i roll that down does it automatically roll higher frequency to that level?

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 14
That depends, but probably not. Try the frequency test again with the EQ, to see if higher than 8000Hz are affected in any way.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 14
You might just have sensitive ears.  My girlfriend has good hearing, but she always listens to music with the volume knob barely turned above silent otherwise it causes her a lot of pain.  I know other people who test very well on hearing tests who listen to moderately loud music, though, so it's probably how you're tuned.

Fwiw, nature has given you a good fuse box :)

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Hey all, just got HD598's and i really enjoy them so far.  But even before them with me hd212's I have been very sensitive to treble for awhile now.

I listen at very very low volume (always at my computer) because the high frequencies are just too harsh for me (with any headphone I have used) and it seems i cant really enjoy the music at this low volume.

My question is, what should I do if this is hearing fatigue, should i not listen at all for a few days? I have already turned down the treble through my EQ.  (which seemed to help)

Maybe i just have sensitive hearing?  I just want to be smart here, i have been careful with my ears for the past 10 years (im 26) never listening to loud volumes and always using earplugs if needed, i went to 1 or 2 concerts when i was younger without earplugs, and i hope i wont pay a price for that..

I do have ringing in my ears at night time when its quiet and I'm falling asleep but it is very faint and it almost seems normal to me?

Anyway any tips or advice is welcome thanks!

What's the rest of your gear/setup that is giving you this treble harshness?

And yes, some people are treble sensitive (myself am an example) and that's why I tend to go for darker headphones. Incidentally, the HD212 has really dirty treble and I couldn't stand it either. The HD598 is also a bright headphone and has strong treble.

again, what other headphones have you sued that give you the same problem? And what are your upstream components? What music are you listening to?

As for your ears I am sure you have taken good care of them, the tinnitus you are hearing is fine, that's normal, you probably don't have anything other than the usual "sound of silence" people hear when things are quiet. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
again, what other headphones have you used that give you the same problem? And what are your upstream components? What music are you listening to?  

Fixed

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for all the replies guys, yes the hd202's had very dirty treble.. lol.

I am currently using my HD598's on my computer powering them just through my 2003 Creative Audigy 2 Platinum sound card. i listen to oldies, rock, 60's and 70's stuff. Rolling Stones songs can have too much treble for example.

My brother has sennheiser PC151's hooked up to the realtek onboard audio in his computer, i would say i can listen to them a little louder, but the highs do still bother me. not as bad id say though.

my 598's were just bought on amazon a week ago, i feel like i can just EQ the highs down, but should i consider buying something else?

thanks for the replies (mochan ty for making me feel better about my ears at night :))

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 14
The best audio player is foobar, in which there is a good graphic EQ with 18 bands from 55Hz to 20kHz under DSP manager. I personally prefer to listen to music untainted, but you can try this. There are many plugins available for foobar too.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 14
i take you get annoyed with electronics as well cause i get so annoyed with high frequency pitches out my modem and some monitors. i assume as well you listen to most modern songs with horrible dynamics? lack of dynamics will easily cause listening fatigue no matter what. i have that issue myself with lot electronic music i love. i only would suggest headphones with more modern day rolled-off highs will help lot and always make sure there open pair as well to allow the treble energy to escape. you actually get much less listening fatigue from open headphones compared to closed due to less treble energy being trapped and bouncing around.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Yes, many high frequency sounds bother me.  My ears are definitely sensitive to any sound but highs are the worst.

I do sort of wish i got a darker headphone, id love the hd650's... But I also think my creative sound card adds punchier highs to music, I have always felt this ever since I started using it, with any headphone.

So I will probably test my headphones out in the Panasonic 5.1 system we have, or my Kenwood stereo and see the difference.  Maybe a DAC and Amp are in my future.

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 14
I have a very similar situation as you. Generally, the most resolving headphones aren't treble recessed so I compromise by using a highly resolving EQ and shelve down all frequencies from the upper mids. Sometimes I do another shelf from the midbass so the treble really does not bother me. Sometimes when I'm really sensitive, the treble is -20db down from the other frequencies. Linear phase EQs w/ oversampling work best.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 14
running the 650's out the soundcard directly? yea i would try something else cause creative sound cards are weird i think. by kenwood stereo you mean a receiver or separates like preamp,power amp combo? if so i would try the kenwood first. if it is amp i would hook the kenwood up to the soundcard and try it that way as well. anything other then your soundcard will probably power it better as well since they do have a 300ohm impedance.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 14
Rex, I am using 598's now.  I was saying i might enjoy the 650s more as they are darker.  But IF i got them, i would get an AMP/DAC for them.

the Kenwood is just a stereo with a 1/4th headphone jack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back