High fidelity Hip-Hop recommendations
Oct 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
Hip-hop is often known for it's dirty-gritty feel, but many times that's attributed to a poorly recorded or mixed album.  A lot of Soul and Funk music (which Hip-Hop is mostly derivative of) has been recorded very well and benefits from being played on vinyl or ripped to lossless.  But, a lot of Hip-Hop (which largely samples from those genres) does not.  Many times I don't care if the Hip-Hop song I'm listening to is 128 kbps or .WAV because it's so compressed and poorly mixed that it doesn't matter... until recently.

The latest People Under the Stairs album Highlighter, is being offered in 24-bit HD AAC, and I man I'm glad it is.  Not only is it a great album, but it's sonically superior to anything they've released thus far.  There are many other artists that are putting out well recorded Hip-Hop albums that benefit from being played on high end headphone and speaker gear, such as:
The Roots
Kno
Pete Rock (recent works)
CunninLynguists (recent works)

This may spark some debate, but what else have you found in the Hip-Hop genre that you would consider being a "well recorded album?"

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 12
Subscribed, I've been trying to get Highlighter but couldn't find that pre-paid gift card I use for online shopping. 
triportsad.gif
 "How I Got Over" by The Roots feels very nice to my ears, especially the first minute of "A Peace of Light".

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Highlighter is arguably their best album to date.  Their other albums had a couple of amazing tracks, but the entire album felt lacking to me.  Highlighter is the first album that plays great from start to finish; Some tracks better than others, a few show stoppers, but as a whole simply amazing.  Obviously, I'm a big fan.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Oct 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 12
The great thing about good hip hop is that the mixing and mastering often reveal all kind of great touches. The only hi-res hip hop album that comes to mind immediately is a DVD-Audio of Outkast's Stankonia. Damn good album that sounds damn good DVD-A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back