High-end USB-powered DAC+Headphone amp
Aug 3, 2023 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Belbo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a portable usb-powered (no power supply needed) high-performance DAC (that also potentially works as a Headphone amp but I would be OK if it was only DAC), to be used with my Mac. I'm currently using an Arcam rDAC which I'm not happy with (I don't find its performance particularly good and it sounds very harsh to my ears), so I'm looking for something that is not harsh but rather dynamic yet musical and not overly aggressive. I don't mind spending more for something that truly is high-end in-terms of performance,

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 13
For something powered by USB, Schiit Fulla or Schiit Hel.

Aug 5, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Pardon me for saying so, but "High-End" doesn't go with the rest of your requirements. All of them - portable, USB-powered, and combined DAC/amp - reduce performance from anything really "High-End."

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 13
Pardon me for saying so, but "High-End" doesn't go with the rest of your requirements. All of them - portable, USB-powered, and combined DAC/amp - reduce performance from anything really "High-End."

Thanks for your answer, I was suspecting that. What if we define it more broadly as "Portable": is it possible to achieve high-end performance with portable equipment and what that might be?

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for your answer, I was suspecting that. What if we define it more broadly as "Portable": is it possible to achieve high-end performance with portable equipment and what that might be?

Chord Hugo 2 comes to mind.

After that, take your pick from the flagship high-end DAPs from Astell&Kern, Cayin, Luxury&Precision and Ibasso.

All of them feature USB-DAC mode. Look into it.

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Chord Hugo 2 comes to mind.

After that, take your pick from the flagship high-end DAPs from Astell&Kern, Cayin, Luxury&Precision and Ibasso.

All of them feature USB-DAC mode. Look into it.

Thanks a lot. So you're saying that a music-only source can make a difference (vs a phone or a computer). You haven't included Sony on your list of DAPs: wouldn't you put the flagship Sony at the same level oas Astell&Ken, etc.?

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks a lot. So you're saying that a music-only source can make a difference (vs a phone or a computer). You haven't included Sony on your list of DAPs: wouldn't you put the flagship Sony at the same level oas Astell&Ken, etc.?

Ahh yeah, I forgot about the Sony flagship DAP. I think it has USB-DAC mode too. And yes I would definitely include it in the list.

There shouldn’t be a difference between playing files locally from a memory card on a DAP vs playing tracks from your laptop via USB-DAC mode with the same DAP.

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Ahh yeah, I forgot about the Sony flagship DAP. I think it has USB-DAC mode too. And yes I would definitely include it in the list.

There shouldn’t be a difference between playing files locally from a memory card on a DAP vs playing tracks from your laptop via USB-DAC mode with the same DAP.

But shouldn't the DAPs have better performance given that they are designed for music? Is it only their digital conversion that makes a difference?

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 13
But shouldn't the DAPs have better performance given that they are designed for music? Is it only their digital conversion that makes a difference?
The DAP manufacturers would love for you to believe that, yes - and many people do. In practice a DAP for most is more about convenience and having everything music-related in a single device.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 13
Yes, I would also suggest a dongle, like Cayin RU7 or the LP W4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back