High-end soundcard shootout
May 30, 2005 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lordgibbness

100+ Head-Fier
I think we need a big review comparing the EMU, M-Audio, ESI and Onkyo soundcards as it is quite difficult to know which one is better.

If anyone who owns or has heard any of these cards could leave some comments comparing them to any of the others that would be a great help.

The cards of most interest are:
- EMU 0404
- EMU 1212m
- M-Audio Audiophile 192
- ESI Juli@
- Onkyo SE-90
- Onkyo SE-150

You don't need to recommend any other cards - any cheaper and the Revo 5.1 is the best card around, and any more expensive and they are just too expensive! So please, just these cards only!

I will be building a jukebox sometime soon to connect to a Rotel RA-03 amp and some nice speakers and want to compare the cards above.

Thanks!

May 30, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 4
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...io+0404+review

A very thorough and well visited test of the EMU line and some other older favourites.

Having the M-Audio 192 and the EMU's compared to the Onkyo line is of course what everyone is waiting for.
icon10.gif

A test would, however, IMHO, yield an even farther reaching result and depth if a few outsiders (in sound charracter that is) were included. Like a Terradec and a RME. They might put the well known cards in a different perspective, good, worse or just different
tongue.gif
. The used prices are within the budget of the others.

Anyway, a good initiative. I am looking forward to your findings.

May 30, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 4
excellent idea - I assume it would be comparing these cards' analogue outs.

Think it would be good to insert in there a custom breakout for the 0404 -- not really an expensive upgrade and I don't think the rubbery stock dongle (cheap, cheap, cheap and UNshielded) can be taken too seriously.

Would be good to also drop in the M-Audio Audiophile USB -- it's in the same price range and still a popular option.

I for one am still torn between:

0404 with custom breakout
M-Audio 'phile USB

.... going through thread after thread leaves me more confused....

May 30, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Just a shame that that review didn't compare the phile192 and revo5.1 instead, as the phile2496 and revo7.1 aren't quite as good.

From reading a number of reviews I'm not sure the EMUs are what I am after - I think I prefer the sound of the ESI Juli@ and Audiophile 192. Also, I'm sure it would make more sense for me to get a card with RCA outputs rather than buying additional interconnects, so maybe I need comments on the Juli@ and the Onkyo cards.

Has anyone heard both the phile192 and Juli@ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back