High-End Sound Card VS USB DAC/AMP
Aug 13, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 23
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I don't have an image of the card with the power caps replaced, but here's a couple images, which show what I did with the line-level signal. I was using the kX Project drivers, which resulted in my using the rear channel as my main 2ch output.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #19 of 23
Great question but does not appear anyone's really done any in-depth comparisons between the external dac/headphone amps and internal soundcards.

I have always had internal soundcards from Creative, pretty much majority from each series and can say the AE-5 is an excellent all rounder but you have to enable Direct Stereo mode. If you fail to enable this mode its like the AE5 is just using the fancy special effects which takes away from the original audio. The AE5 soundcard delivers crisp, clean detailed music and movie sounds way more better then the Soundblaster Z or previous cards I have owned.

Never owned an external dac or headphone amp so can't compare sadly, but from what has been said around the net the new crop of sound cards the AE5, Nusoundcard and upwards are very good and comparable and some say better even.

One nice aspect of internal soundcards I prefer is they don't take up desk space and less wires and clutter to deal with.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #20 of 23
My MSI motherboard has a dedicated audio layer on the motherboard and is 24/192 capable. Sounds awesome to me and I've had plenty of external DAC's too. Do have my PC on a UPS so that may condition/filter mains power better.

Sounds great with my KEF LSX speakers or my Audeze Mobius Headphones. I use Shure SE846's with portable players but not tried with the PC.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 23
My MSI motherboard has a dedicated audio layer on the motherboard and is 24/192 capable. Sounds awesome to me and I've had plenty of external DAC's too. Do have my PC on a UPS so that may condition/filter mains power better.

Sounds great with my KEF LSX speakers or my Audeze Mobius Headphones. I use Shure SE846's with portable players but not tried with the PC.

Definitely, incoming power is one of the stepping stones to your listening experience. At one time, I built a dedicated listening PC, and I had recapped the PSU, motherboard, and sound card, using great quality capacitors, and it had equivalent sound to my current DAC/Amp combo. You just have to create a good combination of parts to see great results.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 23
I have always had internal soundcards from Creative, pretty much majority from each series and can say the AE-5 is an excellent all rounder but you have to enable Direct Stereo mode. If you fail to enable this mode
its like the AE5 is just using the fancy special effects which takes away from the original audio. The AE5 soundcard delivers crisp, clean detailed music and movie sounds way more better then the Soundblaster Z or
previous cards I have owned.

I have an older soundcard in my PC... definately thinking about an AE5.... although im running USB from the benchmark DAC, and that is very good, especially in FPS gaming..... id like to try the AE5... to compare. switch over to optical from dac to the PC soundcard.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #23 of 23
I have always had internal soundcards from Creative, pretty much majority from each series and can say the AE-5 is an excellent all rounder but you have to enable Direct Stereo mode. If you fail to enable this mode
its like the AE5 is just using the fancy special effects which takes away from the original audio. The AE5 soundcard delivers crisp, clean detailed music and movie sounds way more better then the Soundblaster Z or
previous cards I have owned.

I have an older soundcard in my PC... definately thinking about an AE5.... although im running USB from the benchmark DAC, and that is very good, especially in FPS gaming..... id like to try the AE5... to compare. switch over to optical from dac to the PC soundcard.

The dacs pretty good on the AE5, SABRE32 Ultra dac the same found on many high level headphone dac/amps the ones going for £300-500+. As with anything you kinda need both units to blind test if the audio really is any better off or not, but I did enjoy the AE 5 sound card while I had it. Creative do have the G6 external usb amp which is meant to be better at similar price tags though and also the new X3 which is also impressive.

I think I prefer internal soundcards also, you don't get any usb audio lag and internal cards tend to be more stable with the right software use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back