High-end smartphones vs Dap's?
Jan 23, 2016 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Drazalas

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there ! I have one simple question here : Is there really a difference between high-end smartphones and Dap's when it comes to sound quality? I know mine can recognize / read "hifi" files ( I have a LG G4) but I like the idea of owning a Dap if I can get more fun out of my music.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Buy yourself a mojo. No joke everyone here and their mom did.

I buy whatever tickles my fancy

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 4
The simple answer is Yes. Even a cheap DAP like the $99 FiiO X1 will sound better than a flagship smartphone. The reason for this is they are not wafer thin. They're kinda bulky, and packed full of pure audio components.

Smartphones never stand a chance. Their design and usage philosophies prohibit truly great sound quality.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazalas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there ! I have one simple question here : Is there really a difference between high-end smartphones and Dap's when it comes to sound quality? I know mine can recognize / read "hifi" files ( I have a LG G4) but I like the idea of owning a Dap if I can get more fun out of my music.

If your smartphone has no software issues that EQs the response or anything that adds noise, and your IEMs are well over 100dB sensitivity, you're not getting to a point where distortion is easily audible on the smartphone. If you're using a headphone with a much lower sensitivity - note that 3dB is a lot - then even a Fiio X1 would likely be a huge improvement over the smartphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back