High end Single Ended,SS Headphone Amp/No DAC still exist?
Apr 11, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 44
Thanks man. Holy smokes, just tried an extra Tara "One" in my box and yes much better. All this time I was ruining my sound....Darn! I have plenty of beter small amps than that. I did not mean that small. The Cullen is 10"x16"x5". Not bigger than that. I think I am going to get the Pass. Balanced is fine and I have more than a few but for Z1R and PS2KE I find it most be a complete SE topology and also Solid State. YMMV but this is kind of known already. I could be happy with what I have but you know Audiophiles always want new gear. Rudistor "looks" better but I prefer not to wait for it. I can have the Pass in 3 day's and let Y'all know how it sounds. If not better or different than ones I have oh well. I do not return things but will sell $350 off on Audiogon, Ebay. I kind of doubt it sucks though. I mean honestly at a minimum the Benchmark DAC3 is "okay". I have much better than that here so I am not hurting lol. I am going to try different dac's too with it. Like MSB Select and Modified Directstream. Yes, I did the Directstream after 2 days HAHA. It stood for improvement and received it. BTW, ever notice real high end dac's do not have a headamp? HMM.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 44
If you didn't decided yet (My Top 3)

-The Dark Star Headphone Amp

-HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 Balanced Headphone Amplifier

-MSB Reference Headphone Amplifier

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 44
I have the first one Ray Samuels, it is among the best. I need something more compact here. I am using a great amp but there are other sounds to be had. The Rudistor is much different don't know the Pass. I did not even know MSB made a headphone amp. Also not SE. Otherwise very good top 3. I think I am heading toward the Pass. Have among others the P750U but also does not meet all my criteria for this room.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 44
Ask me specific questions about the Pass if you'd like.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #20 of 44
Well I hope it is some form of warm,liquid,good separation and imaging and fast. I hope so because I just ordered it lol. I did not see this first. It may or may not be better than other amps, mainly different at that level but I am nearly positive it will be better than Sony's little Amp/DAC. A lot of Amps are I am finding. It is not a fair comparison though the Sony is a consumer oriented product not niche market. It just so happens recabled Z1R. and yes SE is a very good headphone worthy of whatever I can throw at it. I have the MSB select 2x powerbases dac but did not know they made a Headphone Amp. I am going to use this with DAVE because he is the only guy that will fit in here. Sideways of course :)

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #21 of 44
I can only compare the Pass to the Bryston BHA-1. With the 800S the Pass is noticeably warmer and more liquid with about the same separation and imaging. I don't think anyone could outright dislike the Pass. Hope it's to your pleasure!

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 44
But ever curious, where are any impressions or reports on the XI Audio amp? I can't seem to find them after a quick search. Thanks.
There aren't very much reviews that compare it with some of the best amps on the market. You find these comparisons in the french thread that i posted. Other than that, you have :

(review)
https://audioprimate.blog/2018/02/12/xiaudio-eleven-audio-formula-s-power-and-clarity-sublimated/

Other suggestions :

Bakoon HPA-21
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bakoon3/1.html
Rudistor RP3K-SS

Hybride Amps :

Riviera AIC-10
Rudistor RP8K-VT

I'm also searching for a "good" amp.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 44
I can't recommend ECP enough. I used to own a SP SDS-XLR and the ECP amps are just as good as well as requiring a lot less space. Doug knows his stuffs and I can't recommend him enough.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #24 of 44
ECP, is DIY,no? I am now pretty disabled and also is not right to keep asking people favors. It does look good. Years ago I helped pioneer simple circuits often better than complex ones. I mean in like 1950's lol. that was computers though. it applies to audio. A straight signal path often better than something complex.

It looks like there are 5-6 to choose right now. Remember when all there was is SE?

I preferred the RP3k but did not want to wait for Rudi to build it. He builds on order, does not have stock. Good idea quite frankly. I will get 030 but Am also considering a AT-HA5050H. Hybrid is okay I just do not want power rectifiers. Full valve sounds great often but I am currently most interested in PS2KE and Z1R.

So pass be here Wednesday or Thursday. Quick gratification. Well Musicdirect has most things in stock but I needed something small in this room. Downstairs I will add something else in a few months.

You know, this bedroom is not huge but not tiny either. All the electronics in here. It is 43 outside. The closest furnace zone is on 70. It is 89 in here due to all the electronics! That is an issue too because I sweat and can't sleep.
On the first floor that room has AC pumped in and it is 38x52 so big difference. It stays steady at 68. I need too cool our bedroom like shut some things off lol. Do not want to open a window.
Anyone else have this problem with a ton of gear in small room? Good incentive to stop buying stuff!

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #25 of 44
ECP, is DIY,no? I am now pretty disabled and also is not right to keep asking people favors. It does look good. Years ago I helped pioneer simple circuits often better than complex ones. I mean in like 1950's lol. that was computers though. it applies to audio. A straight signal path often better than something complex.

It looks like there are 5-6 to choose right now. Remember when all there was is SE?

I preferred the RP3k but did not want to wait for Rudi to build it. He builds on order, does not have stock. Good idea quite frankly. I will get 030 but Am also considering a AT-HA5050H. Hybrid is okay I just do not want power rectifiers. Full valve sounds great often but I am currently most interested in PS2KE and Z1R.

So pass be here Wednesday or Thursday. Quick gratification. Well Musicdirect has most things in stock but I needed something small in this room. Downstairs I will add something else in a few months.

You know, this bedroom is not huge but not tiny either. All the electronics in here. It is 43 outside. The closest furnace zone is on 70. It is 89 in here due to all the electronics! That is an issue too because I sweat and can't sleep.
On the first floor that room has AC pumped in and it is 38x52 so big difference. It stays steady at 68. I need too cool our bedroom like shut some things off lol. Do not want to open a window.
Anyone else have this problem with a ton of gear in small room? Good incentive to stop buying stuff!

They are made to order. He also have prototype amps that you may can purchase without any wait time and some discounts. I have auditioned more than 5 ECP amps and all are remarkable. I suggest you contact Doug and buy the ECP DSHA-3. Tell him your headphones requirement though.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #26 of 44
Darnit, the Pass was like 3600 grand shipped. The ECP is like $1,600 I think. It is the value of one guy Vs. a company. I have no idea which I would like better though. I need another one like a hole in the head but that is a good price. Well, let me break in and listen to the Pass first.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 44
Okay, I am ready to order. Which do you guy's think is better? I do not mean sound, that only I can tell but rather the build quality and topology.

I am looking between the Pass Labs HPA-1 and Rudistor rp3k-ss. The Rudistor is $600 less and do not need preamp but want whichever is better. Plus the size of these is perfect as I am out of room and same size as HP Amps I am using now so just set it down. Of course I will get top quality feet.

I already have stuff this good and tubes and balanced but I like all the different sounds I can get. Good SS is not sterile. It imho is more resolving and faster. I am sure many agree. Some not. I like the Blue Hawaii on SR009 but those headphones offset the amp. This sony needs the best SS it can get. I am not sure these are better but both companies(Moon) have return policies. These are obviously good amps either one.

You Guy's pick one. Hopefully hear from at least 3 people to break the tie. Otherwise I think I will pick the Pass just because it is already in America. Long wait on Rudistor. So that is a deciding factor as well.

I'll give it today and say at like 5AM Tomorrow I am placing my order regardless of if anyone chimed in :)

Thanks' guy's I appreciate it.
Which one did you go for? Rudistor is more accessible to me but I don't know. Right now I'm not even sold on whether or not I should update my equipment or wait a bit longer and save more money for a bigger investment.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #29 of 44
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #30 of 44
Yeah, thanks from me too.

Dude, yes in Serbia you going to get it faster than in the US. Here I get the Pass in 3-4 days. I got the Pass. I have better already but I wanted kind of small and just a different sonic flavor on hand. It looks good. Let's hear it and I will tell you. Remember it is subjective anyways. I mean like Tyll and the Z1R lol. He is not really a pro though. Did you ever read stereophile or TAS diss anything period? Well, I would not call that professional either but whatever. Why I always say listen for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back