High-end open headphone suggestions?
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #46 of 68
All depends on preferences ~ the old Dacmagic is well loved for $500-ish over here, it offers balanced inputs but I prefer the
Arcam rDAC for the same money even though that DAC is less than perfect too. Cambridge Dacmagic is a little too 'digital'
sounding IMHO.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #47 of 68
Again, it isn't "bad."  

Everything, ultimately, comes down to subjective judgments, just like the current OP's dissatisfaction with his current set-up.  The Titanium does not sound as good as some other soundcards, for example, and not nearly as good as a good quality modest DAC such as the DacMagic.  My bet, without checking, that there are reviews that state pretty much the same if you need such reassurance.

As a point of reference, I use a S/PDIF out of my DAW to a Grace M902 with HD600 for initial editing of classical recordings. 

So you're comparing a $429 external DAC to a $139 internal sound card?

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-Digital-Converter/dp/B001QFOG58
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Titanium-Internal-SB1270/dp/B0041OUA38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319768817&sr=8-1

I'm planning on getting an external DAC, just not right now.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #48 of 68

Quote:
Oh, I assumed you had real data, not impressions.

What "real" data would you rely on?  What specification informs you as to which DAC sounds better?  All DACs sound different.  I have quite a number and no two sound the same.  Yet, all competently designed DACs test well. 

For example, the M902 v. the Benchmark DAC1.  What test specification explains the difference in sound and allows you to predict which is "better?"  Do tell.
wink.gif

Of course, if you are happy with the sound of a consumer sound card stick with it. I do not mean this unpleasantly, we all have our preferences and limits.

Quote:
So you're comparing a $429 external DAC to a $139 internal sound card?

Yes, as the discussion is improving the headphone listening experience.  While every component in a system is important, a system cannot sound better than its source.  There are many cost effective options.  You seek "spacious sound stage, deep, powerful bass, fast response, and an overall engaging sound."  Your equipment chain is significantly held back by the soundcard.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #49 of 68
Quote:
What "real" data would you rely on?  What specification informs you as to which DAC sounds better?  All DACs sound different.  I have quite a number and no two sound the same.  Yet, all competently designed DACs test well. 

For example, the M902 v. the Benchmark DAC1.  What test specification explains the difference in sound and allows you to predict which is "better?"  Do tell.
wink.gif

Of course, if you are happy with the sound of a consumer sound card stick with it. I do not mean this unpleasantly, we all have our preferences and limits.

Placebo.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #51 of 68
Quote from the OP: "I'll pass on electrostatic for now, I want to use the amp that I already have."

This isn't even getting into how the SR-009 costs $5,000+, sans the required electrostatic amp.

As nice of a headphone as it is, the cost to entry is too high for most people; for that matter, so is the SRS-2170 system (SR-202 + SRM-252S), the current "entry-level" of the Lambda line.

I think he should still try Stax at some point, but his desire for impactful, slamming bass makes me uncertain (especially without EQ).

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #52 of 68
Yes, as the discussion is improving the headphone listening experience.  While every component in a system is important, a system cannot sound better than its source.  There are many cost effective options.  You seek "spacious sound stage, deep, powerful bass, fast response, and an overall engaging sound."  Your equipment chain is significantly held back by the soundcard.

Isn't upgrading part of the fun? :) I didn't say I'll take my X-Fi with me to my grave, I'm just posting the gear that I have right now. I'll probably buy a Bifrost in a few months. Would you like to recommend other external DACs in that price range which accept Toslink as a digital line-in?

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #53 of 68
I'd suggest keeping the X-Fi if you need the gaming features and using its S/PDIF output to feed an external DAC if you wish to go that route...and given your insistence on Toslink input, it sounds like you do.

For that matter, is it really justified to spend $300+, even $1,000+, on an audiophile DAC? (Others have said that if DACs could be made of money, everyone on Head-Fi would agree that it's the best.) I know it's wise to improve the source, but at what price range do the improvements stop being technical (more resolving/detailed) and start being more subjective (sound signatures)?

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #54 of 68

Quote:
I didn't say I'll take my X-Fi with me to my grave, I'm just posting the gear that I have right now.

Absolutely reasonable.
Quote:
For that matter, is it really justified to spend $300+, even $1,000+, on an audiophile DAC?

An excellent question.  It depends on the listener, the associated equipment, etc.  For most people and purposes the current crop of high quality DACs below $500 are sufficient. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:
You are fortunate if unable to distinguish a meaningful difference between a consumer soundcard and a good quality external DAC, yet remain delighted with the sound.  This makes for an exceedingly cheap system.

There are advantages to being a cheap date.
tongue.gif

I appreciate the compliments, but they don't help validate your claims.

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #57 of 68
I just want to mention that if the OP is concerned about the HD800 being too bass shy the AKG K-70x is NOT, I repeat not the headphone for you. The 70x has even less bass than the Senn. You have the Ed8, which is not a neutral can, so the Senn may indeed sound bass shy. That said, I think with a proper setup the HD800 has great impact that's very tight. I'm not sure if your amp is up for the task but the HE500 is a terrific headphone that offers both a good soundstage and great bass.

Subjectively (read- in my opinion and experience) I believe the DacMagic to be a sizable step above your sound card. I think it's a great DAC. Especially for the money. Not to mention it allows the user to run a fully balanced rig if they so choose.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #58 of 68
I'd suggest keeping the X-Fi if you need the gaming features and using its S/PDIF output to feed an external DAC if you wish to go that route...and given your insistence on Toslink input, it sounds like you do.

Is it possible? You answered my thread regarding this issue, but I want to be sure before I take the plunge :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #59 of 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An excellent question.  It depends on the listener, the associated equipment, etc.  For most people and purposes the current crop of high quality DACs below $500 are sufficient. 

Right now, I'm running an Auzentech X-Fi Forte in my main desktop (and an X-Fi Prelude in another), and they do the job for now...but ever since I got my Stax Lambda setup, I'm curious as to whether or not it would reveal any benefits of higher-end DACs.

Quote:
Is it possible? You answered my thread regarding this issue, but I want to be sure before I take the plunge
smily_headphones1.gif

It should be. There's already been a confirmation by another user that CMSS-3D Headphone works over S/PDIF output, and EAX effects in games should work fine since that's a function of the DSP before it hits the outputs.

I just can't confirm it myself because I lack a good external DAC. I've found the FiiO D3 at a mere $25, but I doubt that would be a legitimate improvement over sound cards several times its price. I don't have the money for anything on the level of, say, the DacMagic, either.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #60 of 68

Quote:
I appreciate the compliments, but they don't help validate your claims.

Neither compliments, nor an attempt to validate.  I never argue with another's report of what he can hear or not hear. 

You report you do not hear differences between DACs, including between an inexpensive soundcard and a well designed external DAC.  No one is arguing with you that this is your experience: if you hear no difference you hear no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back