High end on E3c and ER6i
Sep 13, 2004 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lingbrabus

New Head-Fier
I just got my e3c for 2 weeks and I'm a bit disappoint with the high end of e3c and considering returning it. I just want to know how the high end of e3c and er6i compare as I heard some people say that er6i has reduced high end when compare to the original er6 (never heard of both phones). And if the 6i has better high end than the e3c, is it so good to justify the cost of having to replace the filter periodically?

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 13
Have you played around with all the tips? The E3s have slightly rolled back highs, but imo, the balance is actually quite good. If you shove in the gray or clear tips in too far, you'll end up constricting the opening of the tip, and the highs will disappear. You just want to put them in deep enough so that when you pull on the earphones a bit you'll feel a little bit of suction. Personally, I like using the foam tips. However, you'll notice that the foam part extends farther out than the plastic tube. I've always been afraid that the excess foam would get scrunched in my ear canal and obstruct the opening. Therefore, what I do is I kind of push back on the opening of the foam tip so that the plastic opening is flush with the edge of the foam, and then I roll the tip between my fingers before insertion. Give that a try if you haven't already. If you still don't hear any highs, the er6i might be a good substitute.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 13
I've tried all the tips that are included with the earphones. I like foam tips the most and soft silicone tips are also okay for me. I still think that the high end is a bit lacking. A bit more emphasis in high end will make it a perfect phone. Anyone who has both the 6i and e3c, can you compare the high end of these two??

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 13
I currently own both the e3c and the er6i. My comment on the highs of er6i is that er6i does have more emphasis on the high end than e3c. And I must say that the er6i bass sounds a little better than the e3c. However, what I don't like about the er6i is that it seems like the vocal (and sometimes sounds of piano strokes or all sound in that frequency) sounds thinner and not as loud. On the other hand, e3c presents the vocals of a song very well. I'm still not sure which one to keep yet. I put both of them on ipod without an amp, and seems like er6i doesn't do much to improve the sound from ipod (neither does e3c). Here is a summary of my comments on er6i and e3c:

e3c: very solid construction, good selection of sleeves so anyone can get a good isolation, presents vocal well, bass is ok, it's there. High end is recessed, but not necessarily that bad.

er6i: emphasis on high end, very solid bass comparing to e3c. Retail price cheaper than e3c (although I managed to buy both at about $120). Vocals sound thin. Wires are too thin, easy to get entangled, overall its construction isn't as solid as e3c. Very limited selection of sleeves.

I'm no serious audiophile though, that's just the impression i got from listening to mostly songs (not music). Any comments to help me to decide which one to keep? Thanks!

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
I currently own both the e3c and the er6i. My comment on the highs of er6i is that er6i does have more emphasis on the high end than e3c. And I must say that the er6i bass sounds a little better than the e3c.

er6i bass is better. good.

Sep 15, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
I currently own both the e3c and the er6i. My comment on the highs of er6i is that er6i does have more emphasis on the high end than e3c. And I must say that the er6i bass sounds a little better than the e3c. However, what I don't like about the er6i is that it seems like the vocal (and sometimes sounds of piano strokes or all sound in that frequency) sounds thinner and not as loud. On the other hand, e3c presents the vocals of a song very well. I'm still not sure which one to keep yet. I put both of them on ipod without an amp, and seems like er6i doesn't do much to improve the sound from ipod (neither does e3c). Here is a summary of my comments on er6i and e3c:

e3c: very solid construction, good selection of sleeves so anyone can get a good isolation, presents vocal well, bass is ok, it's there. High end is recessed, but not necessarily that bad.

er6i: emphasis on high end, very solid bass comparing to e3c. Retail price cheaper than e3c (although I managed to buy both at about $120). Vocals sound thin. Wires are too thin, easy to get entangled, overall its construction isn't as solid as e3c. Very limited selection of sleeves.

I'm no serious audiophile though, that's just the impression i got from listening to mostly songs (not music). Any comments to help me to decide which one to keep? Thanks!

Finally! A balanced, honest sum-up of the pro's and con's for each, not just "this blows that away"

I haven't had experience with the 6i's, although I did refer my friend to buy from Paul Chua (iDealSound) so I might get a taster later in the week, but regarding your comment about the E3 handling vocals better, I'd say it's because the E3 has a slightly humped midrange as compared to the 6i, so they wind up sounding more forward (please forgive me if I am using the wrong words for description here).

Sep 15, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 13
This is my first post here, though I've been reading for a long time. Go easy on me
wink.gif

I bought the E3c locally, then heard the reviews on the ER6i and ordered a pair from TTVJ. I've had both for about a week now, and I know a lot of you have been waiting for comparisons.

Some background- my collection has some rock, some jazz, and a whole lot of classical. For about 10 years now my only real pair of phones have been my trusty Grado SR60 and I love 'em. I know everyone says Grados are for rock, and yes they have that warm midbass and bright top end. But to me the top end on the SR60s is bright but never harsh, and I am very, very easily bothered by harsh highs, especially with solo violin.

The E3c is a weird 'phone. As someone else mentioned in the other thread, when you first stick 'em in your ears they sound pretty awful for a few minutes. They have a very pronounced upper midrange. People complain about the weak bass and rolled off top end, but actually I think it's just the overwhelming prominence of the upper midrange that dominates the balance. If you listen carefully, the bass is there- not great but not worse IMO than the ER6i or ER4P.

So first impressions not great, but here's the thing- if you listen to them for a while they are actually quite tuneful. I really can't describe it, they have a certain "bloom" that the Etys lack. It can create a sense of spaciousness and air, even if it is false. I find they are really great for chamber music. The boosted upper midrange brings out the woody overtones of string instruments, while the comparatively soft treble keeps violins from sounding too metallic. On other types of music they aren't so great. The balance is all wrong for rock IMO, and jazz is not much better. Before I got the ER6i, I listened to the E3c next to a friends' ER4P. The ER4P is much more neutral, but just a little too crisp up top for my tastes. Balance is more like my Grados, but somehow the Grados sound much more warm, sweet, and involving to my ears.

Next I got the ER6i. These are pretty decent. Balance is neutral like the ER4P, but softer at the top end. I agree with dkskywalker, these are not any more detailed than the E3c, probably less. Bass is pretty similar, but since it isn't hidden by that crazy midrange hump, it probably sounds like there is more bass. Rock sounds better on these, but chamber music sounds very lifeless and sterile compared to the E3c. You just get a sort of "tone" from string instruments, it feels like some of the overtones are missing.

In the end I think I will keep the ER6i because I'll still use the Grados at home and they are cheaper than what I paid for the E3c. But I dunno, I'll miss the Shures for some music. They are kinda love hate, but they kinda remind me of when I was young, listening to records of chamber music on some Sennheiser HD414s at a music library, didn't know anything about audio but just enjoyed the music. On the whole, I'm pretty disappointed with the choices at this price point, seems like you should be able to do better.

I think if you want decent bass at a decent price and are alergic to shill highs, get the ER6i. If you can try the E3c and like them, get those. And if you value a crisp top end and neutral balance, go for the ER4.

Peter

Sep 17, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for all the useful info so far on E3c vs ER6i. Here's my question:

I use the E3c as my "active" canalphone (unamped), for when I am out and about, or in the gym, etc. I have found it very easy to maintain a seal no matter what I am doing, which I have been pretty impressed with. I think it has to do with the side-angle design and the behind the ear cord placement. The cord noise of the E3c is also next-to-nothing, which is important when moving around a lot.

How does the ER6i compare in terms of these criteria (seal maintenance and cord noise)? I know the seal depends on each person's ears, but any input on this would be appreciated.

I haven't been entirely thrilled with the E3c sound quality (for the same reasons others fault them) and am keen to try the ER6i if they are suitable for moving around a lot.

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 13
In my experience the cord microphonics on the ER6i aren't too bad, but the E3c is definitely better. The cord on the E3c is also thicker and much, much shorter. In terms of seal/comfort, I find the E3c more comfortable and I like how you can wear them two ways- either straight in like an Etymotic or around the ear. I've tried both and they sound exactly the same.

I can't really comment on the seal. I get a good seal with the tri-flanges on the ER6i, but they do feel a bit big in my ears. The third flange is kinda bulky but doesn't seem to actually be involved in the seal. On the Shures, I have only tried the medium soft-flex sleeves because I wasn't sure I was going to keep them. I like the material- it is very soft, thin, and effective. It's easy to just pop them in your ears and they make a good seal. But after using them for a while I noticed my left ear started losing the seal once in a while. If I kept them I'd experiment with the larger ones.

In terms of sensitivity, the ER6i and E3c are about the same, whereas the 4P is significantly less sensitive. Between the 6i and 4p, if you are a detail freak you need to go for the 4P. My problem is that I don't really love either one of them, so blowing $129 on a headphone I don't love is better than $199.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back