High-end NEUTRAL amp/DAC
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RustA

Aka: Banned member MHOE/MetalHOE.
I am currently extremely happy with my desktop O2/ODAC combo and not looking for spending money anytime soon since the synergy with LCD-2 rev2 is absolutely perfect to my ears...

However, I am still interested to have a look at some high-end deadly-neutral amps/DACs with ultra low distortion - simply the best options from the technical perspective.

Are there any better options than O2/ODAC or Benchmark DAC1? It must be neutral, solid state and as I said - technically absolutely excellent.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:
Do you need it for music enjoyment or pure objective measurement?

The Fostex HP-A8 is a good realization of "transparency". So is the HP-A3, but since you want the best, the A8 is Fostex's flagship.

Thanks, will look into it!

Quote:
Why? The O2/ODAC is already transparent. You won't get any audible benefits from, say, the Benchmark DAC1. That's the whole point of the O2/ODAC.

Because I am curious to study the specifications, learn about the design, additional features, try them somewhere...

Benchmark DAC2 HGC looks interesting, for example...

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 26
Something cheaper than the DAC1 would be the Yulong D100, I hear it's very neutral and highly detailed, and it's also recommended among other head-fiers.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
Something cheaper than the DAC1 would be the Yulong D100, I hear it's very neutral and highly detailed, and it's also recommended among other head-fiers.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 26
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
It sounds like you would love the Concero. This is an extra special DAC... Very neutral and clean, musical, and detailed.

This one?

http://resonessencelabs.com/concero/

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 26
I don't believe it gets much better than a Benchmark DAC1. I prefer my DAC1 USB to a Lavry DA11, Rega, and a few others in the price range that I have heard. I admit I have not heard $2000+ DACs, so maybe they are better. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
I don't believe it gets much better than a Benchmark DAC1. I prefer my DAC1 USB to a Lavry DA11, Rega, and a few others in the price range that I have heard. I admit I have not heard $2000+ DACs, so maybe they are better. 

They aren't. Good transparent DAC's are $100-200.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

After going through specs of the amps/DAC mentioned, I am only interested in DAC2... But still, I don't expect it to be much better at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back