High End Multimedia & Desktop Replacement Notebook PC Options?
Oct 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #31 of 36
I finally visited Xoticpc.com and I chose the Sager NP8690. They have a lot more options that can be configured to my desires. If I choose the same exact configuration as found on the Sager Notebook website, then I could save about $130.00 USD if I pay in cash off the sub-total price. Xoticpc does not charge New Jersey sales tax and shipping fees are similar. Basically, I am looking at $4,250.00 USD before shipping fees between Sager Notebook or Xoticpc.

It is really quite incredible to see all of the extra options that Xoticpc offers. I could purchase a Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi wireless streaming audio modification and up to three external LED monitor support among other tantalizing options.

I will be do business with Xoticpc. Thank you for the tip.

This will be my primary usage notebook PC. I will give my ASUS N61JV-X2 to a family member after I take delivery of my new Clevo W860CU laptop.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #32 of 36

thank you for correcting me. I forgot that it all boils down to clevo.

Quote:
Actually, Sager isn't the ODM. Everyone like Sager resells Clevo notebooks. http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp

If you search by the Clevo model number you should be able to turn up even more alternative 'manufacturers'. Clevo have sewn up the market for high-end gaming notebooks, but they are still consumer machines. Personally I'm not a fan, as I think if you think you need that much power in a luggable (and bear in mind you're not even close to a desktop, especially in terms of nVidia GPU horsepower), you're making way too many portability compromises and are better off with a) a Shuttle or b) a proper desktop + subnotebook. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #33 of 36
From my own personal experiences, I chose XoticPC mainly because of their reseller ratings, and the owner visits/posts on forum.notebookreview.com (a great laptop website, FYI).

another favorite of NBR is powernotebooks.com (owner also posts on NBR)

give them both a look, and feel free to email them any questions, they both are great.

Quote:
I finally visited Xoticpc.com and I chose the Sager NP8690. They have a lot more options that can be configured to my desires. If I choose the same exact configuration as found on the Sager Notebook website, then I could save about $130.00 USD if I pay in cash off the sub-total price. Xoticpc does not charge New Jersey sales tax and shipping fees are similar. Basically, I am looking at $4,250.00 USD before shipping fees between Sager Notebook or Xoticpc.

It is really quite incredible to see all of the extra options that Xoticpc offers. I could purchase a Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi wireless streaming audio modification and up to three external LED monitor support among other tantalizing options.

I will be do business with Xoticpc. Thank you for the tip.

This will be my primary usage notebook PC. I will give my ASUS N61JV-X2 to a family member after I take delivery of my new Clevo W860CU laptop.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #35 of 36
I actually did a ton of research last year when I needed a new laptop that was beefy enough to be a desktop replacement. My 2nd hand Toshiba was dying on me and it was too noisy and runs too hot, so I had no choice but to buy another laptop. I ended up choosing the Sony VAIO FW390 series, since it had a large screen with high resolution desktop (very important to me since I do lot so visual and audio work so I need all the screen real estate I can get), a sleek and elegant design, was powerful enough to run the apps I need to run, and was priced fairly. I don't know what are the most recent VAIO models but I suggest you take a look. I've been quite happy with mine. The one downside is that There's a lot of stuff installed with most big brand laptops and you'd have to uninstall them if you don't want them. There are quick solutions for that on the web--just google for them. People have developed one-click solutions where all that crap is removed for you without you having to dig through stuff.

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #36 of 36
I am updating my thread to ask if any Head-Fi members here own the Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T410S with nVIDIA Optimus. It retails for $1,699.99 USD directly from Lenovo. I want to limit my budget to up to $2,000.00 USD. While it would be nice to get a notebook PC designed for gaming, I am afraid that I would never use it for that purpose as I do not play computer or video games whatsoever. I am looking for a secondary computer that is smaller, lighter, and much more powerful than my current ASUS N61JV-X2. I do need a discrete GPU and I do prefer the nVIDIA brand along with their Optimus technology, but I do not need a GPU designed for gaming the latest titles. A minimum of 512 MB of VRAM is sufficient.

The Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T410S with nVIDIA Optimus outperforms the Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q890 and Origin EON18 along with my ASUS N61JV-X2. Its PCMark Vantage score is a blistering 11,264. Its 3DMark 06 score is 3,761. Mine has a PCMark Vantage score of 5,841 and a 3DMark 06 score of 5,997. Here are some of the professional and user reviews available about it:

http://www.testfreaks.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t410s/

What do you guys think about this choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back