High End iPhone IEMs
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jadawgis732

100+ Head-Fier
So I've just created a listing for my UE 600Vi IEMs on Amazon, ($99.99 takes it for the shameless plug) and I'm trying to decide on a new pair. The problems with the UE's were with the design (reasons at bottom). The sound quality is great though. I love armature drivers ever since switching and won't go back.

At this point I am considering:
Phonak PFE 132
Klipsch 10i
VSonic GR07
Fischer Audio DBA-02 (not sure how the iPhone headset will work here, but I'll finagle a fix)
UE Triple.Fi 10vi (I'll buy the 10's and purchase of the cable because I'm a cheap person.)

Any suggestions?

I'm not a fan of Westone's or Shure's design and the Etymotics scare me with the deep insertion and also I've read horror stories about one of the three flanges on the tips getting lodged in someones ear. At that point I'd probably go into Van Gogh-mode if I had even the slightest inkling that there was something in my ear (really sensitive about this).

(UE 600Vi Complaints)
1. The 90 degree angle plug sticks up about 1cm away from the iPhone's port, and the shorter of the two ends (perpendicular to the plug) is only a few mm. I'd much rather they'd have gone with a straight plug than something like that.
2. The microphone placement is awful. Only about 1" from the Y, it sits with the microphone port to your breastplate and is just terribly positioned.
3. The microphone's feedback. I have had two sets of these (just received 2nd from RMA two weeks ago) and they both come through on calls. Not just come through, mind you, but are loud in calls. The isolation is great so I've been in a parking lot on a call, and heard what I thought was my caller's car alarm going off, took off one bud and found that it was in my parking lot.

PS Also going to sell my removable cable modded ATH-M50's with the Sync by 50 microphone cable. Waiting until I get back to my dorm so I can take pictures, but pm me if interested. They're the ones in my avatar.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 13
You can replace the 3-flanges tip with less "horrific" tips such as comply foams or monster gels, or cut the first flange to make it less deep inside your ear canal.

Actually, the 3-flanges tips provide the best isolation for me, just need to get over the horror the first few times you put it in. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 13
If I ever owned the HF3 (the ones I'd most likely own) I would never use the triple flange design. I cannot stress how much the idea of them lodging in my ear scares me. Enough that if it happened, I'd be speeding on the way to the hospital trying to calm myself down, sounding like I have multiple personality disorder.

"Just take it easy, it's going to be okay."
"NO ITS NOT, THERES SOMETHING STUCK IN MY EAR CANAL!"
"Just breathe. Think happy thoughts."
"DO I LOOK LIKE PETER FU**ING PAN? ****!"
"Watch for the pedestrians, one step at a time."
"BUT THERE'S SOMETHING IN MY EAR!!"
"Watch FORTHELAMPPOST!"

Dead, but at least the ear tip no longer concerns me.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 13
Take a deep breath bud.

As someone that gets tips stuck in my ear daily, it is really easy to remove them. I have a set of 6 year old Etymotic Er-6i IEMs, and I use the bi-flange tips. I used to use the tri-flange, but the bi-flanges work better for me. For whatever reason, the tips ALWAYS come off in my left ear. When that happens, I just put the tip of the connector in the hole of the tip where it would slide onto the IEM and dig it out that way. You could also use tweezers. Bottom line, you aren't going to need them to be surgically removed.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 13
You have discounted the best iem because of one story that you read...

The next choice is going to pick an iem that has lesser isolation.

There are many others that fall into that category.

Good Luck with your search, Jim

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 13
Seriously, get an Etymotic IEM, and a pair of Shure Olives. They fit so tight and sound so good that they'll never come off the IEM in your ear, and you'll never want to take them out of your ear.

Quote:
Some people are scared of spiders, some of heights. I'm scared of things lodged in my ear canal. Even the phrase "surgically removed" made me shudder.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Okay, I'm going to find out if they come with the comply tips. But if anyone needs a pair of the triple flange PM me and I'll send them to you for shipping costs. Else they're going in the garbage.

Seems they do come with foam tips. Too bad you Google HF3 and see that they are $120 in the results page (which would've led to an instabuy) only to click the first link and be shown $170. I have a Firefox plugin called Camelizer which shows the price over time of Amazon items. It still has them for $120 from Amazon, so I guess they just went up very recently.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 13
Look how close the FR graph is between the SE535 UE 600Vi's and the HF3. I think another part of why I want to trade up is to experience something new. I wish headroom had the TF10 to compare, but I'd like something armature based (preferably dual or greater, maybe something TWFK-based). But still, I think both the HF3 and my UE600 are too close to consider it "new." Plus I am not sure I am a fan of "analytical" or "cold" not having ever listened to IEMs with such a signature. But I think music should be fun to listen to. It's art...

PS I'm also a closet basshead, and reading the huge IEM review thread (244 and counting (why has he still not added the TF10 to the list)) it suggests that the HF3 may not be for me. Specifically he says, "[t]hose familiar with other Ety models will not be surprised to learn that the low end of the HF5 will do little to satisfy a basshead." That said, the HF3 have almost the perfect Apple controls/microphone placement and style that I can imagine.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Make sure you use a LOD cable with the iphone - the headphone jack is horrible! Of course if you need the mic and volume controls you're forced to use the port :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Yeah, saw that. I would probably take drastic measures to ensure I didn't have to use the 45 degree plug. Does anyone know why you cannot get to the UE TF10 from within Logitechs site? You have to google Logitech TripleFi to get to the product page.

Thought you were talking about the HF3 plug. I've never had a problem with the iPhone jack. Though I did install a line out dock in my car today, and guess what I found out? You can't use the iPhone to make calls with the line out dock! Such convenience, but utterly unusable for me.

Also, not to be rude but why would I request iPhone IEMs (presumably with a mic and apple buttons), and then get a LOD which nullifies them?

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 13
It's becoming discontinued.
Quote:
Yeah, saw that. I would probably take drastic measures to ensure I didn't have to use the 45 degree plug. Does anyone know why you cannot get to the UE TF10 from within Logitechs site? You have to google Logitech TripleFi to get to the product page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back