High End IEMs: If I bite the bullet, which way to go?
May 10, 2006 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

supersonic1414

100+ Head-Fier
I have been debating getting a pair of $200 to $300 IEm's, but really want either the sensaphonic 2x or U-10p. Can anyone who has these let me know if I decided to go this route, will I ultimately be pleased?

Or should I just pick up either the new Shure E500or ue-XXX? I will predominantly use my video ipod and nano with them, and maybe a hornet amp.....

May 10, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 16
Shure e5000? I must be behind the times, I'm still drooling over the e500
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to the e500 and they sound very full and big straight out of my Nano.

May 10, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersonic1414
I have been debating getting a pair of $200 to $300 IEm's, but really want either the sensaphonic 2x or U-10p. Can anyone who has these let me know if I decided to go this route, will I ultimately be pleased?

The sensas and the ue-10s are way above your $200-300 spending limit. Just so you know. I would try to get the e500 if funds would allow.
wink.gif

May 10, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 16
even the e500 will retail at $499 to start off. Perhaps you're better off looking at other lines, or in the headfi spirit increasing your budget

May 10, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Can anyone who has these let me know if I decided to go this route, will I ultimately be pleased?

Well, what do you like from your sound? It's hard to make a recommendation without more information on your preferences, as well as a better sense of how much want to spend and when you want to make the purchase.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 10, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 16
Sorry, my post was not clear. I am aware of the cost of the Shure E500's, Sensa's and Ue-10's is between $500-$1000. My initial thought was to spend around $200-$300, but than I figured why not save a bit and shell out for what I really want.

I listen to lots of indie and alternative rock, as well as country rock, etc...Like nice tight base, crisp highs, and balanced mids...Hope that helps.

May 10, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 16
Cool. Yeah, in the old days, before the E500, I would have recommended saving for the big guns, because I found myself upgrading anyway. I started with E5c and eventually got Sensaphonics 2X-S, and kinda wished in retrospect just going straight to the top.

Or another option is just going budget (Shure E4c/UM2/super.fi 5 Pro/Ety ER4P/S) and just stopping with these. These are fantastic preformers and great values.

With the E500 and XXX the equation changes. I'm not convinced, based on brief listenings at the national meet, that the E500 reaches the level of the custom IEM, as some have claimed. I did like it a lot though. But at the national meet, what I really wanted was to get a UE-10 Pro, as I found it does sound different from my Sensaphonics, and I'd like to have both sounds.

Well, where does that leave you. My advice - buy used. Buy a used UM2/E4c/super.fi 5 Pro/Ety or even Shure E5c. Then wait. Wait until the E500 gets out to more people who already own the custom IEM. Wait until the XXX is released. Save your money. Then when you're ready, sell your temp IEM (I love E4c with the nano, btw) and go for the big guns. This will also let you explore what you like about IEM sounds with your music, and make a more informed decision.

Good luck! Portable rigs are one of the most rewarding out there, and there is a lot of great product.

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: Heh, I know I'm a fan of the E4c, but out of all the IEM I've owned or had, I find with the iPod Nano (and less so with the Video) they do have nice tight bass, crisp highs and slightly exaggerated/forward mids. I also listen to alternative pop/rock and some pop-country.

May 10, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Or should I just pick up either the new Shure E500or ue-XXX? I will predominantly use my video ipod and nano with them, and maybe a hornet amp.....

I think that you should first decide if you want customs or universal fit IEMs. Customs would give you better isolation, comfort, possibly better sound, a nice feeling of exclusivity...
biggrin.gif
Universal fit headphones have a decent resell value, give you the ability to change tips, and may last longer.

If you want customs, then you can just get them now. If not, you need to decide whether you can wait several month before making a purchase. If you can, I suggest waiting till both E500 and UEXXX are available so that you can try them out and compare, or at least read enough reviews by others.

If you have to get something now, buying a budget pair as recommended by jjcha seems the best option.

May 10, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 16
I would skip right past the $200-$300 IEM's. I think all of them are flawed in some unacceptable way. The jump to the $399 E500's would definitely be worthwhile because the sound quality rivals full sized headphones.

May 10, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 16
$399 e500? I understood they were to cost $499.

And waiting for the used e4c's to show up in the marketplace might be a good idea. That's where mine will be.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 16
Two of the popular Headfi vendors have them for $399 Intro price (add to cart or email for price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back