High-end headphones in the Seattle/Portland area?
Jun 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

meemorize

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I'm planning a trip to Portland/Seattle in late August and since my home country (New Zealand) doesn't have any decent audio shops that carry high-end headphones I thought I'd try to audition a few high-end models while I'm there.

Early web research however hasn't yielded a definite answer regarding what's the shop to go to in either area so if anyone could give me some recommendation on where to go that would be much appreciated.

Headphones I'd really like to audition and buy one of (in order):

• Audeze LCD 3 (and perhaps also the LCD 2 for comparison)
  • Beyerdynamic T1
  • Beyerdynamic T5p
  • Hifiman HE-6
  • Hifiman HE-500
  • Fostex TH900

The first 3 are the ones I am really excited about while the 4 - 6 ones are more appealing to my curious side but are not a priority.

Any recommendation would be fantastic,
thanks.

Jannis

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 14
http://www.aloaudio.com/

Pre-arrange an appointment with ALO Audio in Portland. It is the company headquarters and not a standard hifi store for walk-in customers. But they are extremely accomodating.

They stock the majority of those listed. Bought my LCD-3s from owner Ken Bell. Good people.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 14
Hey Jones,

thanks for the suggestion will email ALO Audio to arrange something, would definitely be the perfect setup to listen to their range I'm sure.

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Echo Audio in Portland says they have a wall of headphones. And you can bring your gear to drive the test units. Do a web search, they have a good website.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for suggesting Echo Audio but according to their website they don't feature any of the brands of the headphones I'm looking at in their store.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for suggesting Echo Audio but according to their website they don't feature any of the brands of the headphones I'm looking at in their store.

That's too bad. They need to expand their selection. How about Chelsea audio? I'll look up a couple other places and get back to you.

What brand are you interested in?

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
That's too bad. They need to expand their selection. How about Chelsea audio? I'll look up a couple other places and get back to you.

What brand are you interested in?

Specifically:

• Beyerdynamic T1
  • Beyerdynamic T5p
  • Hifiman HE-6
  • Hifiman HE-500
  • Fostex TH900

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Specifically:

• Beyerdynamic T1
  • Beyerdynamic T5p
  • Hifiman HE-6
  • Hifiman HE-500
  • Fostex TH900

Good to know. I'll check.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 14
Found one for you -

Fred's Sound of Music
3760 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Portland, OR
503-234-5341

Have plenty of headphones to try from what my friend told me.  Not sure of the brands but at least you have a start.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Found one for you -

Fred's Sound of Music
3760 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Portland, OR
503-234-5341

Have plenty of headphones to try from what my friend told me.  Not sure of the brands but at least you have a start.

I doubt Fred's would have any TOTL headphones. IMO, it would be a waste of time to visit. Unless spending an afternoon in the hippie district of Portland floats your boat.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 14
Jannis, just a thought.....

If you are returning to NZ through Hong Kong and have a day or two lay over, get to one of the several King Stereo stores. I visited the Hong Kong island Central store and saw damn near everything that you read about here on Head Fi. Have been told that the Kowloon Mong Kok store is even better stocked.

http://www.headphone.com.hk/

Great place to audition many TOTL headphones, side by side. I would look elsewhere to buy if living in NZ.

Good luck on your quest!

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
I doubt Fred's would have any TOTL headphones. IMO, it would be a waste of time to visit. Unless spending an afternoon in the hippie district of Portland floats your boat.

My including the phone number was so he could call FIRST. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Jannis, just a thought.....

If you are returning to NZ through Hong Kong and have a day or two lay over, get to one of the several King Stereo stores. I visited the Hong Kong island Central store and saw damn near everything that you read about here on Head Fi. Have been told that the Kowloon Mong Kok store is even better stocked.

http://www.headphone.com.hk/

Great place to audition many TOTL headphones, side by side. I would look elsewhere to buy if living in NZ.

Good luck on your quest!

By the way, do you know of any other places in Portland or the Couve that may have some to listen to? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back