High End headphone suggestions
Aug 2, 2010 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ninjikiran

1000+ Head-Fier
I am currently working on a list to work on and save up for, just something to be excited about as I pinch pennies.  I already have a DAC in mind(well two different but that is another story for another day) but when it comes to headphones and electrostatics there are just too many out there with different properties to even begin thinking.

Closed, or Open.  Not much a concern for me, though I am usually in a louder environment so I tend to gravitate towards the closed headphones.  I enjoy detail, but don't need them to be completely flat.  I enjoy a little thump and oomph to my Bass, the kind where you only feel it when the song wants you to.  Not the cheap kind where everything bumps in the night. 

Really I am not all that picky, and I would obviously be picking up an amp that matches these phones.  Price is not really a concern granted they are not insane, so I guess anything within the $2000 range(less is fine or a little more is fine) would be ok.  Remember the price higher is relative to $2000 which i already consider a bit of cash so I rather get my moneys worth than pay a little less.  This is for the headphones alone, its going to cost more with the amp but a matching amp I doubt is going to be that much more than the headphones.

Pretty sure any combo is going to be a gradation above what I currently own now,
$300 DAC/Amp Combo (in terms of how I upgraded it)
$250 DT770 Pro/250ohm
$200 Bit-perfect sound card turned transport.

What I plan on upgrading to over the next 2-3 years
Benchmark DAC1 HDR
-Headphones/Amp Unknown.

Anyway thanks for patiently reading my thread, and any suggestion is appreciated.  Sorry if my grammar is sometimes awkward, I seem to have forum-grammar-itus.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 7
Bit over your budget, but ATH-L3000 is worth considering.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 7
A fully modded Denon 7000 aka LA7000 might be just the thing. It's basically a closed phone, has the excellent bass you're looking for, and FWIR looks and sounds great too.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Here are 2 reviews of the LA7000 that you might find useful:

HeadphoneAddict's review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/438255/review-lawton-audio-la7000-formerly-markl-mods-modded-denon-d7000#post_5905741

Erikzen's review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/435763/review-lawton-audio-la7000

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 7
I second the Lawton Audio headphones. I heard a set in Stockholm and they sounded excellent to me.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Whiplash Elite Reference X recabled HD650s or HD800s if you prefer dynamic.

Stax Omega 2 Mk.1 or 2 if you prefer electrostatic.

Sony MDR-R10s if you're insane like me...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back