High End Headamp / Preamp?
Dec 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #76 of 107

Quote:
Well I'm considering Maggies as well as the Monitor audio speakers. It'd be fine for the Monitors, but no way would it be enough for the Maggies. Gotta audition them both first, of course.

Definitely looks nice though...

i dont know if you posted your room size. My main listening room was 13.5 wide X20.5 deep. The Maggies were 4 ft from the rear wall and 4ft out from each side wall.  Toed in toward the listening position and they are 48 in hih by about 36 inches wide. Big but not that big in that room. The Outlaw 2150RR put out 190W into the 40hm MMG. It was a good match and sounded better when i threw the CSP2 in as the preamp. The reason I sold them was because I was not listening much in that room anymore. I do miss them but the wife is kind of used to not having a system in that room anymore. One thing I will say they competed and sounded better than many expensive floorstanders I owned over the years. If I ever went back to a floor stander it would be a Maggie speaker again using a vintage Big Pioneer rig to drive them

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #77 of 107
Man if you're talking that kind of space I definitely don't have it. 

I'll give a few different Maggies a listen when I go to demo the 1.7, but if they need that kind of space I may never own a pair. 

Any guess on how the MMG would match up to the Monitor RX8? 

Quote:
i dont know if you posted your room size. My main listening room was 13.5 wide X20.5 deep. The Maggies were 4 ft from the rear wall and 4ft out from each side wall.  Toed in toward the listening position and they are 48 in hih by about 36 inches wide. Big but not that big in that room. The Outlaw 2150RR put out 190W into the 40hm MMG. It was a good match and sounded better when i threw the CSP2 in as the preamp. The reason I sold them was because I was not listening much in that room anymore. I do miss them but the wife is kind of used to not having a system in that room anymore. One thing I will say they competed and sounded better than many expensive floorstanders I owned over the years. If I ever went back to a floor stander it would be a Maggie speaker again using a vintage Big Pioneer rig to drive them

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #78 of 107

Quote:

I'll give a few different Maggies a listen when I go to demo the 1.7, but if they need that kind of space I may never own a pair. 

what size is your room?   Even a 13 X 20 room is suspect.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #81 of 107
Treatment isn't an option here but probably would be in my next place. Like I said I'm trying to spend as much as I can manage right now and worry about smaller upgrades over the years rather than new speakers. If the Maggies are the best (sounding) choice I'll probably go with them so they can sound even better as my space improves (because strangely enough moving to a new place is a lot cheaper than buying new speakers). 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Well you could still do it but the bigger the room the better.    Perhaps get some acoustic treatment. room tunes, tube traps.   

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #82 of 107
No, I wouldn't say that. While quiet, it's not anywhere close to the best in that regards. Now, to provide context, I had my ear next to the speaker. From even a short distance it's not noticeable

However, for the price i can't complain.

I have bought the Rega DAC and is pursuing the Brio-R to complement it to be used as headphone rig. Looking forward to hook my phones to this combo. 

Would you say the Brio-R is "a dead sllent" amp with "black background"? 

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #83 of 107
It is a huge mistake to think that room treatments are a small upgrade - the room and speakers are equally important, believe it or not.  $1k speakers in a properly treated room will run laps around $1M speakers in a non-treated room, regardless of any other factors such as size

Quote:
Treatment isn't an option here but probably would be in my next place. Like I said I'm trying to spend as much as I can manage right now and worry about smaller upgrades over the years rather than new speakers. If the Maggies are the best (sounding) choice I'll probably go with them so they can sound even better as my space improves (because strangely enough moving to a new place is a lot cheaper than buying new speakers). 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #84 of 107
Oh no I totally understand. If it were an option at all in this place it'd be done already for my 4301Bs.

Quote:
It is a huge mistake to think that room treatments are a small upgrade - the room and speakers are equally important, believe it or not.  $1k speakers in a properly treated room will run laps around $1M speakers in a non-treated room, regardless of any other factors such as size

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #85 of 107
Room acoustics are more important than the gear in the speaker world.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #86 of 107
I've heard speaker systems that sounded really nice without much room treatments. What's important is to avoid standing waves and have adequate absorptive materials like carpet or rug on the floor and on the walls to minimize reflections. As important if not more is the placement of the speakers, how far apart they are and how far they are from the rear and side walls. And toe them in towards the listening area.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #87 of 107
Room treatments don't have to be erecting large plastic tubes or installing big wooden panes. Even if such means are required, they can be built into the design. Carpets and rugs you mentioned are also good ways of room treatment.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #88 of 107

Quote:
Room acoustics are more important than the gear in the speaker world.

Whenever I sat down in an edit suite to mix in NYC the first hour was getting used to the room acoustics of that particular suite.  Not so much the equipment but the room response.  Once my ear adjusted the room it was smooth mixing from then on.  Many suites my ear was familiar with so it didn't take more than a few minutes but I also worked freelance for 9 of my 24 years and that meant being in different rooms more often than not.  One thing that happened a lot was to start a mix one day in one room and then because of scheduling conflicts have to finish up in another room the next day with completely different acoustics.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #89 of 107

Quote:

I have never heard the Monitor RX8 so not sure how they would match up but in regards to the MMG I owned they did well against the Revel F30 I owned but I needed a sub to get the bass close to the Revel. There is a forum on audio asylum where you will get input on Maggies in smaller rooms. Many are using them with success. I had considered the Monitor RX7 but went Maggies for that room. Check out the AA and ask questions regarding your room size.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #90 of 107

Quote:
It's plenty long, but not wide enough. 

Rough measurements (8 foot measuring tape, oh boy) are 13 (Wide) x 25 (Long)

Your room is big enough. See if the dealer will let you demo them in your room. I know my dealer Overture in Deleware lets me take home gear for home auditions as I did with the Revel F30 and Genesis V I owned. That way you know your going to be happy. Many dealers will let you do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back