High-End DACs. Worth it?
May 29, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #46 of 53
Hi
I want to replace the AT&T optical connector on the back of my Bel Canto Aida. I would like to install a S/PDIF toslink panel mount. Anyone know where I could find one? I have Googled, Parts Express, Full Compass ect.
DSC02402.jpg

Thanks
Lemon

May 29, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #47 of 53
I honestly think you would do better with the optical connection. Do you have an AES/EBU output? I have found it to be the best sounding of all. If not, seek out high end fiber connections.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #48 of 53
I use an AT&T-branded ST optical cable between my transport and DAC. I forget the exact specifications that audio components use but it's just a plain jane ST-terminated fiber optic cable, I use similar cables in computer networking.

Aural Symphonics makes the most expensive one I have ever seen. I priced out their Optimism ST cable at $1200CDN... Audioquest makes one, much more reasonably priced.

I have done a lot of comparison between the ST cable and a Kimber Orchid AES/EBU XLR digital cable. The XLR is more extended in the bottom and top ends, and a little punchier, while the ST cable has a really great, intimate midrange presentation I can't get from the XLR. I generally use the ST cable for most listening these days.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #49 of 53
So Nomad - which did you get in the end?

I've also been researching PC as source and was similarly impressed by AMR's CD-77, until I read a read an opinion on Audio Asylum of tests they did on that vs a Wavelength Cosecant.

They rated the AMR transport higher than the Cosecant, which itself was higher than the AMR USB in.

Since I've not seen any cheap second hand Zanden 5000 mk.4's lying around, I've decided to take the plunge on a Wavelength Crimson since it is highly thought of by a few who have heard it over in Audio Asylum.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #51 of 53
Think Pico from Headamp for a I2S solution which sounds high end or reasonably so.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Nomad - which did you get in the end?

I've also been researching PC as source and was similarly impressed by AMR's CD-77, until I read a read an opinion on Audio Asylum of tests they did on that vs a Wavelength Cosecant.

They rated the AMR transport higher than the Cosecant, which itself was higher than the AMR USB in.

Since I've not seen any cheap second hand Zanden 5000 mk.4's lying around, I've decided to take the plunge on a Wavelength Crimson since it is highly thought of by a few who have heard it over in Audio Asylum.

Yeah Wavelength DACs are great. That Zanden would have been decent at least, possibly better.

Uhm you can't really even compare the HR micro dac to dacs of this level... there is at least 2-3 tiers in between
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #53 of 53
Computers as transports aren't nearly good enough for the TOTL models and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. Computers are much too noisy with the horrible switch mode powersupply's and other nasty things. Something like a Transporter, fully modded, will help a lot here and also give the smaller form factor.

With these high end products their flavor becomes much more of an issue rather then ultimate performance. You should read a thread over on Audiogon titled "High end DAC's" or something like that. The Zanden is very colored and if you like that it will be great for you.

Alright, I know this post is ancient, though it brings me to ask myself as to whether this noise could be mitigated (if not completely eliminated) by feeding a reclocked I2S signal directly into the DAC throughout a relatively short, well isolated cable (say, 30 Cm), the bridge itself being fed by its own separate power supply and the outputted raw I2S being, again, reclocked first thing after entering the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back