High end DACs assistance
Jan 9, 2012 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gabrielisc

Head-Fier
Hey guys

Basically wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to figure out why choose one DAC over another
For example, Audiolab M-DAC vs Rega vs Arcam vs Woo Audio new DAC.
I read a lot of - HELP ME BEST ~$1000 DACS but the general answer is different DACs sound different, but there is no real indication of which dac sounds like what in comparison. Listening to multiple dacs is possible but before I do that I want to know the real differences between the DACs

I have the HD800s and plan on going for a tube amp later on.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Hey guys

Basically wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to figure out why choose one DAC over another
For example, Audiolab M-DAC vs Rega vs Arcam vs Woo Audio new DAC.
I read a lot of - HELP ME BEST ~$1000 DACS but the general answer is different DACs sound different, but there is no real indication of which dac sounds like what in comparison. Listening to multiple dacs is possible but before I do that I want to know the real differences between the DACs

I have the HD800s and plan on going for a tube amp later on.

You choose a DAC on the basis of its sound performance. You choose the one, that matches your system. I have been looking for a DAC and having already bought the perfect headphone/ amp pairing I decided that when buying a DAC I need to buy one, that will not alter the pairing I already have as it is ideal for me. In general people will tell you, that it is the best idea to buy a neutral DAC, that does not colour the sound becaue it is the headphone and amp that will do that for you.

That is just my opinion based on my very limited experience and research.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, I appreciate your response.

The thing is I am fairly newish to the headphone world and all I could say from trying all the main headphones (HD650s/AKG K701s/Beyer 880s/990s/770s/T1s Audeze LCD-2s) that I loved the HD800 the most, So I am happy with them.
Now I want to run them to their potential, but I really wouldnt have a clue what the difference between the Cambridge audio DACmagic plus vs the audiolab m-dac is, different dac chips im assuming? what makes an expensive dac... expensive?

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Choosing a DAC is also an exercise in system matching, while picking one with the features you want and need.

Technical factors to consider (that affect price as well)

1) quality of the power supply. (battery > linear PSU > switching PSU)
2) input options - spdif (coax, optical, AES), I2S, USB, FireWire. (quality and quantity)
3) DAC chip implementation (several popular chips, with different ways to use) {"quality" of the sound can be determined here}
4) output stage (tubes, chips, coupling caps v transformers) {"sound" of the Dac easily shaped here}
5) output option - single ended (RCA) balanced (XLR)

Obviously it would be best to hear the DAC first, but if you look at the components in the DAC, you will start to see similarities, especially at the different price points.  The new Sabre chips can sound very different depending on setup.USB implementation can also vary from the ubiquitous USB 1.0 (16/44only, but easily recognized in almost all computers) to the XMOS based systems which can be individually programmed by the DAC maker. Some of the DAC chips are almost household names here on HeadFI, and have their own proponents and detractors.

Then you get into NOS (not over sampled) and over sampled DAC. Different sounds, depending on the set up.

Lastly, most of the newer DACs include digital filtering, trying to remove artifacts left over from the D to A converting.

I am currently using the well reqarded Wyred4Sound DAC2, and will be building a tube based AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1over the next couple of months. (I am a slow builder) Other than a quality PSU in each, they are at either end of the technology spectrum, with the DAC2 consisting of some of the newest technology, and the DAC 4.1 having a brute force simplicity of NOS, power supply, and tubed/ transformer output all using some of the highest quality components.

I hope to present some thoughts on the sounds of both this summer.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you very much for your comment, after seeing your post I have looked up the W4S DAC-2, seems pretty well esteemed.
I will have to try to listen to the difference between the wolfson and sabre chips.
Are there any thoughts as to what source input is "best" ? usb/toslink/coax ?

I think that if the Audiolab m-dac came out as a version without the built in headphone amp (and therefore reduced the price) it would be the product I would purchase :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 8
I got the StageDAC, and it sounds really good, I think the StageDAC & Benchmark DAC-1 are on par, both great, though I preferred the StageDAC, and its a steal at $700.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Trust me, I would love nothing more than getting a stagedac + classic, but people were saying its not a good match for the hd800, i could get the stagedac itself for $800 but for that price might as well get a rega or audiolab m-dac

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 8
Some great information from Bones.  My experience with DACs (and I auditioned the W4S Dac2 in my system) tells me he is spot on, with special importance being on the analogue output stage.  In my simple opinion that is the most important, and a distinct difference.  Instead of using an op amp, discrete parts, whether tube or solid state, and their implementation (short signal paths, preferably point to point wired) makes an audible difference.  As in amplifiers, Class A (SET for tubes) vs Class AB, B or D makes an audible difference, and the topology can account for a significant difference in cost.  Since a DAC only needs to pass a small signal there is no good reason not to have a good analogue stage (and the W4S website gives good information on the subject)

Something well worth reading about (and there are LOTS of posts out there) is how the DAC operates if using a computer as your source.  The W4S, Wavelength and many others use asynchronous system, meaning simply that the DAC controls the clock so that the computer feeds it data as the DAC requires, not vice versa.  I have also auditioned the Benchmark DAC (and own their A to D converter) but it uses a very different scheme, where the computer controls the timing of the data, but the DAC reclocks itself to manage.  Ayre prefers firewire, which is isochronous, since firewire is a dedicated transfer protocol, but similar to asynchronous in USB speak. 
I cannot say enough good things about the W4S Dac2.  In my system it was almost splitting hairs with my Ayre C-5xe, at several multiples of its cost (and no digital input).  Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back