High End DAC Recommendations
Dec 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

imp96

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a high end DAC. I am currently looking at Bricasti M1 or one of the Total DACs. Has anyone heard either one of them or preferably both of them? From what I seen on forums there is huge variance in opinions between all the high end DACs so I am not sure what to believe. These two DACs appear to be the most liked options.  Any one have any other suggestions.

EDIT: I think I am gonna go with either the M1 or D1 Dual, can any one weigh in on this choice

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 118
If your are set for a full size design and want to spent that amount of dough, then the following alternative is not going to do it for you... But since I am very happy with this little box, I point it out to you. I have a Teddy Pardo PSU added to it, as I didn't like the wallwart psu that came with my e20 DAC but honestly, I haven't been able to find any signaificant improvments.
And I perfer more to listen and enjoy the music than splitting hairs
wink.gif

Anyway, less than half of the $$$ of the Bricasti ...
http://www.exasound.com/

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 118
Good Morning,

As you are already looking for a DAC in this price range I think that you've had already the opportunity to give it a try. If not, please do it - it's the most important thing to do.

As I've compared some ESS Sabre DACs with the TotalDAC D1 with Reclocker, I can stipulate that the latter is way better then all Sabre DACs I've heard so far.

A lot of people in this forum, including purrin who has said a lot about DACs in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream

are of the opinion that the Yggdrasil from Schiit Audio can be a game changer, but I guess this DAC will be released during the next three months and is not yet available.

Hope this helps, Merry X-Mas!

Feuergeist

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 118
You heard any none oversampling DACs? I found it a revelation. I run an Audio Note DAC 4.1 with tubes. It is truly special, and sounds very different to the mainstream 'hifi' delta-sigma's. I would give them a look, it is very smooth, realistic and organic, no digital sound to it, just pure music. The kits versions can be had for 2K US for the 3.1 or 3.5 US for the 4.1. It will kill any DAC out there under 10k for sure - trust me.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 118
  You heard any none oversampling DACs? I found it a revelation. I run an Audio Note DAC 4.1 with tubes. It is truly special, and sounds very different to the mainstream 'hifi' delta-sigma's. I would give them a look, it is very smooth, realistic and organic, no digital sound to it, just pure music. The kits versions can be had for 2K US for the 3.1 or 3.5 US for the 4.1. It will kill any DAC out there under 10k for sure - trust me.

Hi astrostar, have you heard other NOS DACs like the MHDT Labs Havana or Metrum Hex before? Wondering how different they sound from each other and in comparison with the Audio Note DACs. The Havana is more affordable to me but they lack the balanced output. Presumably it won't really matter? thanks in advance.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 118
  I am looking for a high end DAC. I am currently looking at Bricasti M1 or one of the Total DACs. Has anyone heard either one of them or preferably both of them? From what I seen on forums there is huge variance in opinions between all the high end DACs so I am not sure what to believe. These two DACs appear to be the most liked options.  Any one have any other suggestions.

EDIT: I think I am gonna go with either the M1 or D1 Dual, can any one weigh in on this choice

You should wait for yggdrasil before you buy anything.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 118
  Hi astrostar, have you heard other NOS DACs like the MHDT Labs Havana or Metrum Hex before? Wondering how different they sound from each other and in comparison with the Audio Note DACs. The Havana is more affordable to me but they lack the balanced output. Presumably it won't really matter? thanks in advance.

Hi Rossliew
I looked at the MHDT Havana, but the parts quality looked a bit low to me, and the power supply and output stage is very basic. Just because it uses valves in the final stage doesn't mean it will sound great. I did read a few reviews where it was so so, a bit loose in the bass I read. The Audio Note DACs are much more advanced in the power supplies and output stage. It all affects the final sound quality a lot. I haven't heard the Hex, but I own the Metrum Octave MkII and it is nice for the money, but is miles behind my Audio Note DAC 4.1.

You know you can buy the DAC 4.1 as a kit for 3,500 US, which is a bit less than the Hex. OK you have to assemble it, but it is real easy. It took me about 10 hours. You then end up with a 10K DAC. Also you can (later) if you want, tube roll and change caps etc. That is not possible on the HEX or the Havana. It allows you to fine tune your final system. I am very happy indeed with mine in my system, lots of bass power, smooth treble, great vocals, sounds fabulous on Rock, Classical, anything I throw at it -  and I play loud!

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 118
  Hi Rossliew
I looked at the MHDT Havana, but the parts quality looked a bit low to me, and the power supply and output stage is very basic. Just because it uses valves in the final stage doesn't mean it will sound great. I did read a few reviews where it was so so, a bit loose in the bass I read. The Audio Note DACs are much more advanced in the power supplies and output stage. It all affects the final sound quality a lot. I haven't heard the Hex, but I own the Metrum Octave MkII and it is nice for the money, but is miles behind my Audio Note DAC 4.1.

You know you can buy the DAC 4.1 as a kit for 3,500 US, which is a bit less than the Hex. OK you have to assemble it, but it is real easy. It took me about 10 hours. You then end up with a 10K DAC. Also you can (later) if you want, tube roll and change caps etc. That is not possible on the HEX or the Havana. It allows you to fine tune your final system. I am very happy indeed with mine in my system, lots of bass power, smooth treble, great vocals, sounds fabulous on Rock, Classical, anything I throw at it -  and I play loud!

Many thanks for the impressions! Really appreciate it. Now I can make more informed decisions and strike out those not making the shortlist :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 118
No problem! PM me if you want more info. I did the DAC runaround for a number of years and bought and then sold. I have now (from buying the 4.1 2 years back) have stopped as am finally happy with digital replay.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 118
The Auralic Vega is a very well received and commonly used component in reference level headphone listening. I would strongly recommend that as the highest end DAC under $4000.

Auralic regularly updates their Vega with the latest firmware as well.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 118
  The Auralic Vega is a very well received and commonly used component in reference level headphone listening. I would strongly recommend that as the highest end DAC under $4000.

Auralic regularly updates their Vega with the latest firmware as well.

After my comparisons and research I would put the exaSound e22 DAC up there as well. Astounding sound quality, especially with DSD.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 118

After my comparisons and research I would put the exaSound e22 DAC up there as well. Astounding sound quality, especially with DSD.

Having heard the ExaSound e22 DAC, I would have to agree, and it also comes highly recommended (and made in Canada too). Although, I find the ESS Sabre 9018 to be overrated, there are applications of it done so well, it exceeds most expectations :)

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 118
Thought it best to be posting the difference I find between my K-01 and the CH-Precision C1 DAC after that audition on this thread, but for now I've been informed from the CH-P UK Distributor ( Wilson Benesch ) that their price for the C1 is £18,500, and £1,500 for the needed USB board which includes VAT on both, yes still not cheap, but less than I was expecting.
Assuming I prefer the C1 to the K-01, enough to want one, then I'll be selling the K-01 to help get to the £20,000 needed sooner. I'll be saving quite a lot though before selling the K-01.

Astrostar59 and myself have plans on auditioning an Audio-Note DAC5S with my 009/BHSE, but with that DAC having tubes, I'm not keen on the idea of a DAC with them, so I'll still more than likely be saving for the C1, but it should be interesting to hear how the 009/BHSE sound with that DAC5S.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 118
Hi David
I am getting excited now as well. R-2R gets so close to the music IMO, it gets rid of all the processing and computer guessing, the filtering and oversampling, and all the noise rejection crap they designed in since the world went Delta-Sigma mad,all the technical BS and specs to convince both the guys that built those mega bucks DS DACs and the people that buy them. They contain IMO tons of unnecessary circuit correction and features, filter, noise shaping, EQ, it is ridiculous.

Keep us posted dude.

I have had an exciting day as well, besides it being my birthday, I fitted some upgraded I/V transformers into my AN Kits DAC 4.1. The 496 I/V trans are fitted to the Audio Note UK DAC 5 special (factory). I bought mine second hand from a nice chap in the Netherlands. They have really opened up the soundstage even more, the detail and decay, I can touch it.... plus the treble, even though it is more energised than before the change, is still silky and smooth. IMO the DS DACs (the top flight ones) do have this same incredible transparency and detail, BUT it is full of digital edge and glare due to the filtering and computer up sampling going on. If you get pure RedBook converted direct to voltage with R-2R you get the master tape in your face - no garbage or artefacts. And add tubes,,,agh but that is another subject.

I have been playing some tracks I know really well that we heard on your K-01, and I can hear the same decay and mega detail, the texture, the dynamics, but my R-2R is so clean and smooth, you can lay in it! Yes, the 009s are mega mega resolving, BUT to get the last depth of that resolution and anjou it (not turn into an ear bleed) you need a top class source with really clean digital. That is the quest. I hope I have found mine. BTW ANKits is releasing a new mega R-2R tubed DAC, the DAC 5.1. I think it will go live on the site next week according to Brian.

Hmm, how much have I got in the Piggy Bank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back