High end confusion
Sep 25, 2008 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
I been bragging about the DT48A's ever since I got them. I truly believe they are special. Would anyone rate them as truly high end? I know they are not made for listening to music, so maybe thats not a fair comparison, but in some areas it trumps every 'hi end' headphone I had/have minus the K1000. After auditioning the K1000's, I'd actually put them in that class. Is that being too premature.. I'm sure their detail is on par with the Qulias or even better, & has other qualities that I feel can compete with the true hi fi elites.. I assume more people have to compare them with the elites before being put in that class, which won't happen, since they are not made for music, & the rubber gets uncomfortable after a hr of listening. But the E models are for musical applications, not sure which is better. A or E. Seems like the DT48A is stuck in a quagmire
confused_face.gif

I think this is unique:
The matched transducer elements are carefully selected to achieve a maximum frequency response deviation of 1 DB.

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Does it matter?
I have never heard or touched the DT48A myself, so no idea how they stand up. Sound, build and design wise that is.

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 10
I can tell you got a few hits of the DT48 crack.
wink.gif

Yeah, I'd put the DT48 up there with the best of what I've heard. The K-1000 and HP-2 have more range with more music, but neither of them nail acoustics and vocals like the DT48. I've been a musician for 25 some years now and regularly listen to my ribbons and AMTs - there is something very "right" about the DT48's sound. It is criminally overlooked in my opinion.

Though it seems a few more of us own the DT48 now and I'm taking my pairs to the LA meet in a few weeks. I'll work on everyone to take a listen. And they're going to the International Meet next year, too.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you got a few hits of the DT48 crack.
wink.gif

Yeah, I'd put the DT48 up there with the best of what I've heard. The K-1000 and HP-2 have more range with more music, but neither of them nail acoustics and vocals like the DT48. I've been a musician for 25 some years now and regularly listen to my ribbons and AMTs - there is something very "right" about the DT48's sound. It is criminally overlooked in my opinion.

Though it seems a few more of us own the DT48 now and I'm taking my pairs to the LA meet in a few weeks. I'll work on everyone to take a listen. And they're going to the International Meet next year, too.

Yes, I have. Not sure I can go back to my other headphones, even though they sound better for music. I might buy the 48Es since they seem to be more 'musical'.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where is the confusion ? I hope you wouldn't start to dislike them just because others may not consider them "High-End". In the end all that matters if you enjoy them.

If they are are "High-End" to you...what else does it matter.

You totally missed my point.

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have. Not sure I can go back to my other headphones, even though they sound better for music. I might buy the 48Es since they seem to be more 'musical'.

I think you maybe could just source the earpads for the E, I've heard that changing the pads helps the bass response.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you maybe could just source the earpads for the E, I've heard that changing the pads helps the bass response.

True. But I still think theres a difference since the E's are made for music applications & the A's are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back