High end computer audio setup advice needed
Aug 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Peterk

New Head-Fier
I currently use HD595s plugged into X-Fi Titanium as my source to listen to electronica with Pandora, and gaming.  The 595 has clear mids and highs but lacks lows.  I just bought DT770s to try out and they have bass but it muffles the mids and highs so I will probably return these. 

What is a good upgrade path for me?  I wouldnt mind spending the money on something that'll last, at first glance I'm considering HD650 with either an HT Omega soundcard or headroom micro amp. 

Suggestions?

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I'm wondering is what is a (somewhat high end) computer audio setup?  I'm also considering ASUS Xonar Essence STX > some amp > HD650.

HD650 and STX play well togeather, STX also has a fine headphone amp.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I am considering an HD650 in the near future as well.  Even though I have an X-fi based card, I think my money will be better spent getting an external headphone amplifier (those little dot MKIII and IVs are really tempting!) before considering another purchase like the Xonar Essence ST or STX.  You could get an external DAC and take the sound card out of equation entirely as well. 

If the X-fi hooked up to the external amp still sucks, I'd then look into the DAC or new sound card.  If no external amps or parts are wanted, then the Xonar Essence would be the better way to go I think.   

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 6
The titanium is a gamers card, not an audiophile one and like all the other X-fi sucks.

The X-fi Elite Pro is a lot higher quality, and as older probably a bit cheaper. You can swap the opamps on the card for improved quality.
I use the Grado SR-125 albeit modified, and they sound a lot better when using an external amp (I use the Rotel RC-995).

With this setup the sound in games is stunning.

There are quite a few non creative cards out there still using the X-fi chip, so would be great for games.

Lots of options and lots of room for improvment.

sell that Ti while it is still in fashion, it is there for £30 headphones, not sennheissers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back