High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #736 of 881
for a tl:dr, ordered the Atlas Audio Mavros USB and didn't like it.

Full story:
I recently ordered a few Atlas Audio cables from Futureshop. Got the Mavros speaker cables, ethernet and USB cables, as I was curious to try out the Grun grounding system. also ordered the Grun grounding adaptor to plug into my power block.

still in testing phase for the speaker and ethernet cables. but I will be returning the Mavros USB cable as I prefer my other cables. Noise floor does seem reduced; very quiet background. unfortunately this seems like a double edged sword as this cable is very very detailed and slightly forward on the top end. it is also overall rather thin sounding; female voices have less body/meat and less lusciousness. on some songs, I get slight etchiness and rough edges, worse on poorly recorded songs. in addition, there is less low end extension and bass oomph/punch. what it does do well is imaging and depth. but that doesn't seem enough to keep it in the stable.

in comparison, the Mad Scientist Ultra USB (which I also recently obtained) seems like the opposite of the Mavros. swapping out for the Ultra, low end extends better and is much more satisfying in amount. vocals sound denser and top end is just slightly rounded. the Mad Scientist Ultra usb ranks quite highly on my fav cables. it has even more low end than the TWL Passion usb. I'm quite curious if their Gold USB will be any better. The Muon2 usb is also on the radar.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #738 of 881
for a tl:dr, ordered the Atlas Audio Mavros USB and didn't like it.

Full story:
I recently ordered a few Atlas Audio cables from Futureshop. Got the Mavros speaker cables, ethernet and USB cables, as I was curious to try out the Grun grounding system. also ordered the Grun grounding adaptor to plug into my power block.

still in testing phase for the speaker and ethernet cables. but I will be returning the Mavros USB cable as I prefer my other cables. Noise floor does seem reduced; very quiet background. unfortunately this seems like a double edged sword as this cable is very very detailed and slightly forward on the top end. it is also overall rather thin sounding; female voices have less body/meat and less lusciousness. on some songs, I get slight etchiness and rough edges, worse on poorly recorded songs. in addition, there is less low end extension and bass oomph/punch. what it does do well is imaging and depth. but that doesn't seem enough to keep it in the stable.

in comparison, the Mad Scientist Ultra USB (which I also recently obtained) seems like the opposite of the Mavros. swapping out for the Ultra, low end extends better and is much more satisfying in amount. vocals sound denser and top end is just slightly rounded. the Mad Scientist Ultra usb ranks quite highly on my fav cables. it has even more low end than the TWL Passion usb. I'm quite curious if their Gold USB will be any better. The Muon2 usb is also on the radar.
Was the mavros usb ran in? and how's the mavros speaker cables?
I'm using the mavros speaker cable, 2-4 config with expanding silvers at amp & speaker.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #739 of 881
Was the mavros usb ran in? and how's the mavros speaker cables?
I'm using the mavros speaker cable, 2-4 config with expanding silvers at amp & speaker.

I'd think it was decently run in. left it to play for a couple of days. was contemplating keeping it for a bit longer but I had some stuff to send back to futureshop and didn't think more time would change my impression of it. might do well in a very warm sounding hp system or a speaker setup, but sadly didn't do the trick in mine.

The mavros speaker cables have just only been put into my system but so far I am liking it. I bought it to go against my TQ black diamond speaker cables. Will chime back in after a couple of weeks.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #740 of 881
IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

I've had the Muon2 usb for several weeks now. Rob @ Network Acoustics sent out the cable and it took only 3 days to reach SG from the UK. As with all NA gear, it came in a well padded box and there is a soft suede pouch. the cable itself is built very well; really like the solid feel of the connectors on both ends, the split cable makes it seem quite pro, and the standard 1.5m length is generous.

I have a few other usb cables in my house right now, namely the Triode Wire Labs Passion, Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra, and the Pink Faun Interlink. I also had the Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, but it went to a new owner not long ago. I think I've had my fair share of experience with usb cables. other cables I've owned are mentioned in the last ranking list at the bottom. the other cables I owned were not particularly bad, but the ones I have now seem the best all rounders and suit my listening preferences. unfortunately, I have not tried any JCAT or Intona cables, and also not tried the FTA Sinope or Sablon Evo.. but for the purposes of this post, I'll stick to just the ones that I currently have on hand. Will preface by saying these cables are all top notch. Comments and comparisons are made for the sake of ranking (and whoever cares to read this long post), but however, in reality, the differences in sound are small. and of course, i am also susceptible to all the assumptions and biases plaguing non blinded tests.

IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0096.jpeg

I let the Muon2 usb run in for 2 weeks before taking down any notes. I had it in one of two configs, ie between the Innuos Pulsar and Meitner MA3, and between the Innuos Phoenix reclocker and Meitner MA3 (Pulsar as streamer). On day 1 when I first had a listen and thereafter till now, I wasn't sure if there was any breaking in effect; tbh it seems like it sounded identical on day 1 as it does right now. so much so I actually msged Rob to ask if this was the case with his Muon2, to which he replied along the lines of I'd have been good to go from day 1.

I guess in that sense, if you end up trying the Muon2, there's a high likelihood your first impressions of the cable will determine whether it's to your liking or not. OTOH, Rob also mentioned some users reporting fluctuations up to 4-500 hrs, but I honestly don't have that patience, and I think I'd really rather just stop analysing the cable and enjoy the music after the first few days.

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

I'll move on to comparisons and I'll rank the 4 cables I have on a few parameters. as the usual disclaimer, I'm a cable believer, but also aware I'm subject to all the usual and known biases out there. the differences in sound are small but I feel enough to make a note of.

Details and Speed
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. MS BM Ultra
The Muon2 is a detail monster. It's not bright or shrill, it doesn't create things that are not there, and it doesn't let u hear things u never heard before. but what it does do is it makes everything already there super easy to hear and pick out. The Muon2 seems like it has fine edge control to music. very sharp distinct leading edges, very fast transients. The TWL Passion seems the most neutral in terms of detail; nothing jumps out and nothing seems lost. Pink Faun takes a slightly laid back approach, and the BM Ultra another notch down; the finer softer details are still there but they're not as immediately apparent as the Muon2.

I grouped both Detail and Speed together as I feel they're both related and how one aspect is played out also determines the other. my rankings for the cable are the same for both. the Muon2 overall seems the "fastest".

Staging, Height and Width
  1. Pink Faun Interlink
  2. Muon2
  3. BM MS Ultra
  4. TWL Passion
The PF cable sounds the widest to me, with musical elements thrown the farthest out left and right. it was a toss up for perception of height but I think the PF edges out the Muon2. Of the 4, the Muon2 and BM Ultra seem the most natural in terms of staging width; I don't really like it when things seem thrown too far out to the point it seems unrealistic or artificial.

Imaging, 3d Placement, Front back depth
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. BM MS Ultra
The Muon2 places stuff really well out front and both to the right and left. it is really very believable that you're there in the music, and can picture exactly where the musicians are on the stage in front of you. With the Utopia 22, the layering and depth is even more apparent. Love the 3d feel with the Muon2; it is much less left right blobs and more directional/diagonal and natural sounding.

The TWL Passion comes a close second; slightly less front back depth, but side/side and diagonal placement is on par. PF Interlink is good, and the BM MS Ultra is the most "flat" of the 4.

Airiness, Space
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. BM MS Ultra
in tandem with the detail it offers, the Muon2 sounds the airiest and clearest up top, with the most space and black background in between the elements of the song. the clarity it offers is like an open window. Both PF Interlink and BM MS Ultra are slightly more analog/organic sounding, with a hint of blur at the edges.

Decay
  1. BM MS Ultra
  2. Pink Faun Interlink
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Muon2
probably related to speed, which is reflected in my ranking; the exact reverse. notes seem to linger on slightly longer with the BM MS Ultra. The PF Interlink and TWL Passion have the most natural decay imo, whereas the Muon2 sometimes seems like it wants to cut short the chase and move on.

Mids, Lush, Roundness
  1. Pink Faun Interlink
  2. TWL Passion/Muon2
  3. BM MS Ultra
It's hard to beat the naturalness and luscious sound of the PF Interlink mids. it is my main cable between sotm and rockna wavelight and it's lovely mids also translate into the innuos/MA3 combo. Full bodied at all times without sounding overly thick/bloated. I couldn't decide between the TWL Passion and Muon2; both sound "correct". comparatively, the BM MS has a bit of thickness and indistinctness in the mids with some midbass bloat and bleed both up and down the FR.

Forwardness of the Mids/Aggressiveness
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. BM MS Ultra
  4. Pink Faun Interlink
Muon2 has the most presence in this regard. Vocals take center stage and it is a strong central image. Very focused sounding, very clear, lip smacking sounds. The TWL Passion sounds just about right in the placement of the mids. PF Interlink mids are slightly drawn back and sounds the least aggressive.

Bass Amount
  1. BM MS Ultra
  2. Pink Faun Interlink
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Muon2
BM MS Ultra delivers the most bass of the 4. It is occasionally boomy, and does have some bass bleed into the lower mids. PF Interlink bass sounds like a very right amount, TWL could do with just a tad more, and Muon2 has the lightest bass of the 4.

Bass Punchiness
  1. Muon2
  2. BM MS Ultra
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Pink Faun Interlink
despite having the least amount of low end, the Muon2 has a heck of an eardrum kick. there is a generous amount of slam and immediacy to the low notes. On some songs, i had to dial back the knob a bit just to reduce the impact. BM MS Ultra also delivers a generous amount of punch. the focused pressure at the eardrums is comparatively less with the TWL Passion and PF Interlink.

Bass Detail/Textures
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. BM MS Ultra
The low level detail on the Muon2 is very very good. I surmise due to its lesser amount of bass, and it's detailed nature, the breathiness of bass notes and the textures of drum sounds become more apparent. BM MS Ultra low end is generally enjoyable due to the amount it delivers, but it misses out on delivering some information/details. bass head listening comes to mind, and the most discerning of listeners may be left wanting.

Warmth
  1. Pink Faun Interlink
  2. BM MS Ultra
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Muon2
PF Interlink and BM MS Ultra are definitely warmer sounding than the other two. TWL Passion is probably the most neutral in terms of warmth. the Muon2 borders slightly on analytical due to its overall sound characteristics. thankfully, that does not translate to fatiguing. in fact I did not find any of these cables fatiguing (unlike the Atlas Audio Mavros, Phasure Lush^2 and WireWorld Platinum Starlight).

Build Quality

1. Muon2
2. Pink Faun Interlink
3. TWL Passion
4. MS BM Ultra

The Muon2 USB connectors are beautiful and solid with a nice heft/weight. The cable is extremely easy to route and twist/turn, however, not a big fan of the separated cabling (three separate cords running the length of the cable). I do prefer the look of the braided cord of the PF Interlink, but do note the chunks of housing at the ends of the cables can be cumbersome especially when the used ports on the devices are close to each other. Also, on one of my PF USB cables, on the A side, the metal portion is slightly bent in relation to the chunky housing. TWL Passion is a nice flexible cable but the sheathing/covering at both the USB A and B sides can get loose and slide both ways along the cable. Mad Scientist Black Magic is the stiffest of the 4 cables and can be a bit hard to bend and route in tight places, in part also due to the very stiff sheathed portion near the ends. It’s also hard to “flip” the cable the right side up to slot into the USB ports especially after routing the cable.

IMG_0101.jpeg

Note on Muon2 Usage with Innuos Phoenix USB

Half of my listening so far was done with USB cable in between Pulsar and MA3 dac, and the other half with the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker in between. I did note some difference with the Muon2 usb placement. I much preferred the Muon2 cable between the streamer and reclocker, rather than from reclocker to dac. If the Muon2 was placed between reclocker and dac, i ended up with a rather thin and soft sound overall. I’m not sure why this is so. At present, my current configuration is Pulsar -> Muon 2 -> Phoenix -> TWL Passion -> MA3.

Music Preferences

For vocals, jazz, acoustics, I'd go with Muon2 and TWL Passion. Rock and metal, I'd choose TWL Passion. For pop, mainstream, Pink Faun Interlink.

Muon2 is great for vocals and jazz. female singers sound like they're next to me in the room. the transducers seem to disappear leaving just the empty background/room and the music. have had many long nights just listening to my favourite albums in these genres. TWL Passion has an uncanny knack for sounding really dynamic and I find it perfect for rock and metal. and lastly I find the Pink Faun suits pop, electronic, mainstream quite well, mainly for it's low end and pleasant top range.

Closing Comments

So where does this leave me? they're all very nice cables, each with their strengths and weaknesses. without a doubt, the most bang for buck in my opinion is the Triode Wire Labs Passion USB cable. Pete is a pleasure to deal with and his products are priced very competitively. the Passion USB isn't as highly priced as a lot of the other options out there, but delivers very well and is overall an enjoyable reference cable.

The Pink Faun Interlink USB is a very organic sounding cable, free of any digitus whatsoever, with a superb mid range, agreeable high frequencies and enjoyable bass. despite it's girth, the PF usb is very soft and easy to route. the only physical issue I have with it is the large white cylinder housing at the USB A side which may be tricky to squeeze into tight spots.

Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra USB is a fun easy going cable with lots of low end. I'd take this if bass/low end was my main priority.

Muon2 delivers a whole lot of detail. I think of the 4 cables above, it is the most transparent and revealing. probably the least coloured too. seems like it just doesn't get in the way between the streamer and the dac. gun to head if I could only choose one, and if money was also not an issue, I'd go with the Muon2, even though I do think it could do with a bit more low end. in any case, if I did want to get a sound more in line with my preferences, i would find it easier to start with a detailed and transparent cable like the Muon2 and dial in a low end shelf to get more bass. I think it is much harder to adjust upper mid and high frequencies to get more details, for example if I wanted to with the MS BM Ultra, and I think I would end up doing more harm than good.

Overall Ranking
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. FTA Callisto
  5. Sablon 2020
  6. Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra
  7. Tellurium Q Silver Diamond
  8. Mad Scientist Black Magic non Ultra
  9. Phasure Lush^3
  10. Phasure Lush^2
  11. WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7
  12. Atlas Mavros
  13. AQ Carbon
Take from this post what you will. Just my thoughts and 2 cents. Non cable believers feel free to ignore and carry on with your lives.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #741 of 881
IMG_0100.jpeg
IMG_0099.jpeg

I've had the Muon2 usb for several weeks now. Rob @ Network Acoustics sent out the cable and it took only 3 days to reach SG from the UK. As with all NA gear, it came in a well padded box and there is a soft suede pouch. the cable itself is built very well; really like the solid feel of the connectors on both ends, the split cable makes it seem quite pro, and the standard 1.5m length is generous.

I have a few other usb cables in my house right now, namely the Triode Wire Labs Passion, Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra, and the Pink Faun Interlink. I also had the Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, but it went to a new owner not long ago. I think I've had my fair share of experience with usb cables. other cables I've owned are mentioned in the last ranking list at the bottom. the other cables I owned were not particularly bad, but the ones I have now seem the best all rounders and suit my listening preferences. unfortunately, I have not tried any JCAT or Intona cables, and also not tried the FTA Sinope or Sablon Evo.. but for the purposes of this post, I'll stick to just the ones that I currently have on hand. Will preface by saying these cables are all top notch. Comments and comparisons are made for the sake of ranking (and whoever cares to read this long post), but however, in reality, the differences in sound are small. and of course, i am also susceptible to all the assumptions and biases plaguing non blinded tests.

IMG_0097.jpeg
IMG_0096.jpeg

I let the Muon2 usb run in for 2 weeks before taking down any notes. I had it in one of two configs, ie between the Innuos Pulsar and Meitner MA3, and between the Innuos Phoenix reclocker and Meitner MA3 (Pulsar as streamer). On day 1 when I first had a listen and thereafter till now, I wasn't sure if there was any breaking in effect; tbh it seems like it sounded identical on day 1 as it does right now. so much so I actually msged Rob to ask if this was the case with his Muon2, to which he replied along the lines of I'd have been good to go from day 1.

I guess in that sense, if you end up trying the Muon2, there's a high likelihood your first impressions of the cable will determine whether it's to your liking or not. OTOH, Rob also mentioned some users reporting fluctuations up to 4-500 hrs, but I honestly don't have that patience, and I think I'd really rather just stop analysing the cable and enjoy the music after the first few days.

IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0092.jpeg

I'll move on to comparisons and I'll rank the 4 cables I have on a few parameters. as the usual disclaimer, I'm a cable believer, but also aware I'm subject to all the usual and known biases out there. the differences in sound are small but I feel enough to make a note of.

Details and Speed
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. MS BM Ultra
The Muon2 is a detail monster. It's not bright or shrill, it doesn't create things that are not there, and it doesn't let u hear things u never heard before. but what it does do is it makes everything already there super easy to hear and pick out. The Muon2 seems like it has fine edge control to music. very sharp distinct leading edges, very fast transients. The TWL Passion seems the most neutral in terms of detail; nothing jumps out and nothing seems lost. Pink Faun takes a slightly laid back approach, and the BM Ultra another notch down; the finer softer details are still there but they're not as immediately apparent as the Muon2.

I grouped both Detail and Speed together as I feel they're both related and how one aspect is played out also determines the other. my rankings for the cable are the same for both. the Muon2 overall seems the "fastest".

Staging, Height and Width
  1. Pink Faun Interlink
  2. Muon2
  3. BM MS Ultra
  4. TWL Passion
The PF cable sounds the widest to me, with musical elements thrown the farthest out left and right. it was a toss up for perception of height but I think the PF edges out the Muon2. Of the 4, the Muon2 and BM Ultra seem the most natural in terms of staging width; I don't really like it when things seem thrown too far out to the point it seems unrealistic or artificial.

Imaging, 3d Placement, Front back depth
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. BM MS Ultra
The Muon2 places stuff really well out front and both to the right and left. it is really very believable that you're there in the music, and can picture exactly where the musicians are on the stage in front of you. With the Utopia 22, the layering and depth is even more apparent. Love the 3d feel with the Muon2; it is much less left right blobs and more directional/diagonal and natural sounding.

The TWL Passion comes a close second; slightly less front back depth, but side/side and diagonal placement is on par. PF Interlink is good, and the BM MS Ultra is the most "flat" of the 4.

Airiness, Space
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. BM MS Ultra
in tandem with the detail it offers, the Muon2 sounds the airiest and clearest up top, with the most space and black background in between the elements of the song. the clarity it offers is like an open window. Both PF Interlink and BM MS Ultra are slightly more analog/organic sounding, with a hint of blur at the edges.

Decay
  1. BM MS Ultra
  2. Pink Faun Interlink
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Muon2
probably related to speed, which is reflected in my ranking; the exact reverse. notes seem to linger on slightly longer with the BM MS Ultra. The PF Interlink and TWL Passion have the most natural decay imo, whereas the Muon2 sometimes seems like it wants to cut short the chase and move on.

Mids, Lush, Roundness
  1. Pink Faun Interlink
  2. TWL Passion/Muon2
  3. BM MS Ultra
It's hard to beat the naturalness and luscious sound of the PF Interlink mids. it is my main cable between sotm and rockna wavelight and it's lovely mids also translate into the innuos/MA3 combo. Full bodied at all times without sounding overly thick/bloated. I couldn't decide between the TWL Passion and Muon2; both sound "correct". comparatively, the BM MS has a bit of thickness and indistinctness in the mids with some midbass bloat and bleed both up and down the FR.

Forwardness of the Mids/Aggressiveness
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. BM MS Ultra
  4. Pink Faun Interlink
Muon2 has the most presence in this regard. Vocals take center stage and it is a strong central image. Very focused sounding, very clear, lip smacking sounds. The TWL Passion sounds just about right in the placement of the mids. PF Interlink mids are slightly drawn back and sounds the least aggressive.

Bass Amount
  1. BM MS Ultra
  2. Pink Faun Interlink
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Muon2
BM MS Ultra delivers the most bass of the 4. It is occasionally boomy, and does have some bass bleed into the lower mids. PF Interlink bass sounds like a very right amount, TWL could do with just a tad more, and Muon2 has the lightest bass of the 4.

Bass Punchiness
  1. Muon2
  2. BM MS Ultra
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Pink Faun Interlink
despite having the least amount of low end, the Muon2 has a heck of an eardrum kick. there is a generous amount of slam and immediacy to the low notes. On some songs, i had to dial back the knob a bit just to reduce the impact. BM MS Ultra also delivers a generous amount of punch. the focused pressure at the eardrums is comparatively less with the TWL Passion and PF Interlink.

Bass Detail/Textures
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. BM MS Ultra
The low level detail on the Muon2 is very very good. I surmise due to its lesser amount of bass, and it's detailed nature, the breathiness of bass notes and the textures of drum sounds become more apparent. BM MS Ultra low end is generally enjoyable due to the amount it delivers, but it misses out on delivering some information/details. bass head listening comes to mind, and the most discerning of listeners may be left wanting.

Warmth
  1. Pink Faun Interlink
  2. BM MS Ultra
  3. TWL Passion
  4. Muon2
PF Interlink and BM MS Ultra are definitely warmer sounding than the other two. TWL Passion is probably the most neutral in terms of warmth. the Muon2 borders slightly on analytical due to its overall sound characteristics. thankfully, that does not translate to fatiguing. in fact I did not find any of these cables fatiguing (unlike the Atlas Audio Mavros, Phasure Lush^2 and WireWorld Platinum Starlight).

Build Quality

1. Muon2
2. Pink Faun Interlink
3. TWL Passion
4. MS BM Ultra

The Muon2 USB connectors are beautiful and solid with a nice heft/weight. The cable is extremely easy to route and twist/turn, however, not a big fan of the separated cabling (three separate cords running the length of the cable). I do prefer the look of the braided cord of the PF Interlink, but do note the chunks of housing at the ends of the cables can be cumbersome especially when the used ports on the devices are close to each other. Also, on one of my PF USB cables, on the A side, the metal portion is slightly bent in relation to the chunky housing. TWL Passion is a nice flexible cable but the sheathing/covering at both the USB A and B sides can get loose and slide both ways along the cable. Mad Scientist Black Magic is the stiffest of the 4 cables and can be a bit hard to bend and route in tight places, in part also due to the very stiff sheathed portion near the ends. It’s also hard to “flip” the cable the right side up to slot into the USB ports especially after routing the cable.

IMG_0101.jpeg

Note on Muon2 Usage with Innuos Phoenix USB

Half of my listening so far was done with USB cable in between Pulsar and MA3 dac, and the other half with the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker in between. I did note some difference with the Muon2 usb placement. I much preferred the Muon2 cable between the streamer and reclocker, rather than from reclocker to dac. If the Muon2 was placed between reclocker and dac, i ended up with a rather thin and soft sound overall. I’m not sure why this is so. At present, my current configuration is Pulsar -> Muon 2 -> Phoenix -> TWL Passion -> MA3.

Closing Comments

So where does this leave me? they're all very nice cables, each with their strengths and weaknesses. without a doubt, the most bang for buck in my opinion is the Triode Wire Labs Passion USB cable. Pete is a pleasure to deal with and his products are priced very competitively. the Passion USB isn't as highly priced as a lot of the other options out there, but delivers very well and is overall an enjoyable reference cable.

The Pink Faun Interlink USB is a very organic sounding cable, free of any digitus whatsoever, with a superb mid range, agreeable high frequencies and enjoyable bass. despite it's girth, the PF usb is very soft and easy to route. the only physical issue I have with it is the large white cylinder housing at the USB A side which may be tricky to squeeze into tight spots.

Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra USB is a fun easy going cable with lots of low end. I'd take this if bass/low end was my main priority.

Muon2 delivers a whole lot of detail. I think of the 4 cables above, it is the most transparent and revealing. probably the least coloured too. seems like it just doesn't get in the way between the streamer and the dac. gun to head if I could only choose one, and if money was also not an issue, I'd go with the Muon2, even though I do think it could do with a bit more low end. in any case, if I did want to get a sound more in line with my preferences, i would find it easier to start with a detailed and transparent cable like the Muon2 and dial in a low end shelf to get more bass. I think it is much harder to adjust upper mid and high frequencies to get more details, for example if I wanted to with the MS BM Ultra, and I think I would end up doing more harm than good.

Overall Ranking
  1. Muon2
  2. TWL Passion
  3. Pink Faun Interlink
  4. FTA Callisto
  5. Sablon 2020
  6. Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra
  7. Tellurium Q Silver Diamond
  8. Mad Scientist Black Magic non Ultra
  9. Phasure Lush^3
  10. Phasure Lush^2
  11. WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7
  12. Atlas Mavros
  13. AQ Carbon
Take from this post what you will. Just my thoughts and 2 cents. Non cable believers feel free to ignore and carry on with your lives.
Damn one hell of a comparison, thx Roasty!

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #742 of 881
Take from this post what you will. Just my thoughts and 2 cents.
Thanks so much for taking your time to compare, and then share your thoughts.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #743 of 881
Upgraded from audio sens copper xlr to cardas cygnus clear XLR. Running it in, tho its a great upgrade.
Think next I got to upgrade to better power conditioners and power cables

Attachments

• 1698659643050.png
    1698659643050.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1698659662392.jpeg
    1698659662392.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #744 of 881
Upgraded from audio sens copper xlr to cardas cygnus clear XLR. Running it in, tho its a great upgrade.
Think next I got to upgrade to better power conditioners and power cables
Clear Cygnus seems to be a sweet spot in the Cardas lineup.

It's a little more forgiving than clear or clear beyond. I'm actually running clear cygnus in my system at the moment.

I recently did a serious reconfiguration of my system that didn't allow for my DAC to connect to one of my amps. ALO Studio Six. Before that I had it connected with a .5M RCA cable, the Cardas clear reflection. I loved that combination.

As I grew and expanded my set-up to include a 300B amp I went and bought all new clear cygnus cables for line level signals. The clear cygnus for me is a sweet spot in the Cardas line-up. I did audition the clear but not the clear beyond(due to price). The clear cygnus are more forgiving than the clear. But they still might be too revealing for my ears in the end. I might go back and get a full set of clear reflection for line level. I have a huge amount of transparency already with my DAC and my amp uses silver-plated copper in the internals. I also run a very revealing pair of Elrog 300B MOs. I think I need to tame some of the energy and I'm sure a set-up of clear reflection will do that. You know it's all a balance.

Cardas are one of the best. I really believe that. Happy to hear you've got the clear cygnus. Looking forward to hearing how it works in your system. Expect, nearly 400 hours for these to relax and break in. I'm sure you'll be smiling all the way!

Keep us posted!

:k701smile:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #745 of 881
What's the signature of Clear Reflection interconnect?

Some observations (the Cygnus cable)
-the singer imaging. Vocals with vibrato, it rolls from front to back. lol, previous cable was side to side.
-the bass texture is much better defined.
-it sounds rolled off, i think its revealing the power cable's flaws.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #746 of 881
Clear reflection has an inner glow and warmth. It's extended at both ends but maybe tames a little bit of upper frequency energy. It uses 2 conductors. It also adds some nice weight and heft to the music. Exceptional bass performance.

Clear Cygnus uses 4 conductors and is a little more forgiving then Clear. The only other cable in the Cardas line that uses 4 conductors is the flagship Clear beyond. The cygnus is more revealing then the clear reflection but not as revealing as the clear. It also has amazing bass performance but it has more of a bass wallop versus the clear reflection that has more heft and bass weight.

I really like the cygnus but the issue with my system is that I have too many revealing parts. I think in maybe in December or January I may get some clear reflection cables as I think that's what my system needs to tame it down a little.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #747 of 881
@Roasty what power cord is powering your Phoenix USB reclocker?

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #748 of 881
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #749 of 881
...Muon2 delivers a whole lot of detail. I think of the 4 cables above, it is the most transparent and revealing. probably the least coloured too. seems like it just doesn't get in the way between the streamer and the dac. gun to head if I could only choose one, and if money was also not an issue, I'd go with the Muon2, even though I do think it could do with a bit more low end...

I've had the Network Acoustics eno IV USB cable for a few months now and my impressions are very similar. Very transparent and uncoloured, great sound stage and "honest" bass. You hear the bass in the recording, no more and no less. I was hesitant to spend that much on a USB cable but now that I have it I'm very glad I did.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #750 of 881
So I was wrong. The cardas cygnus is actually outstanding! I spent this week not listening but playing music though my rig. Huge difference. And admittedly I've got a new amp and new 300B tubes and then these new cygnus cables. Everything is really coming together. The hard edges have smoothed out.

Regarding the cygnus specifically, they are a beautiful balance between being transparent and having the weight and texture and tonal density that I desire in a copper cable. Clear reflection is definitely more dense but one does slightly sacrifice transparency. The cygnus sit right in between. It's like a chef that seasons the food. Not too much but deftly done with a tasteful touch.

I'll report back if things change but at the moment this is right where I want to be. Folks, if you're after a copper cable, I think Cardas make one that will suit you. IMHO they are about one of the best!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back