High End Bookshelf or Near-Field Speakers (seeking advice)
Jan 30, 2011 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gu Sensei

500+ Head-Fier
It would be wonderful if some of you kind head fi members could take a moment and help me with my speaker purchase.

I am looking for a high-end pair of bookshelf speakers to be placed on shelves on a large desk for near-field and usually low to moderate level listening. They would be driven by my Leben CS300X.

My listening habits revolve around the likes of Beck, Macy Gray, PJ Harvey, Zappa, Bjork, Talking Heads, The Roots, Nirvana, Prince, and 80’s New Wave.

Amazing (and prominent) bass is a must. I am willing to try a subwoofer also if that is really the best way to go. I generally prefer headphones labeled ‘fun and musical’ around these parts. The D7000s being a representative example. Full body, prominent but defined bass, clear treble, rich tone are key features I reckon.

I am pretty happy with the sound signature of the pair I have been using, Denon SC-A77XG, but suspect I can get a decent upgrade. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be sold outside of Japan so they will not serve as much of a reference for others.

My price range is around $2,000 but I will be delighted to spend less. I plan to buy used and should be able to audition first.

I suspect most models available elsewhere are available here, but here a list of manufacturers that I often encounter: B&W, Dali,  JBL, Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, Focal-JM lab, Spendor, Tangent, Tannoy, Vienna Acoustic, Fostex, Klipsch, KEF, & the usual Japanese brands.

Any recommendations or ideas would be most welcomed. Also, if there is a good no-nonsense site for reviews, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 32
In the monitor world I would recommend what I am using, ascend's sierra 1s. You can get a pair for under $1000 which leaves you plenty of money for a subwoofer. More information and reviews can be found both using google and over on AVSforums, the headfi of speakers. They reach very deep and when crossed around 80 Hz to a subwoofer they are excellent. They are not extremely efficient at about 87 dB 1 watt/1 meter if I remember correctly, but they get plenty loud with my onkyo rc 180 receiver. I strongly recommend an audition.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 32
Harbeth P3ESR and Leben work well together, and the harbeths are one of the best mini monitors out there. I've heard them with your amp, and with several other amps in desk top nearfield systems and they always impressed the heck out of me. Enough that  i bought two larger model Harbeths. (SHL5 & M40.1)  

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 32
^^^

I second the P3ESRs. I own them and have demo'd them with Leben (300 and 600) amplification in my small-room system. They were a superb match with both Lebens and I imagine would be even more so in a nearfield setup. Other possibilities might be the upcoming revision of the ProAc Tablettes. But the Harbeths are extraordinary small speakers, unfailingly musical and highly informative across a wide range of genres.

best,

o

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 32
Harbeth P3ESR for sure. I spent about 5 hours yesterday listening to Harbeth HL5, P3ESR, and Compect 7-ES3 and they are phenomenal. For that price point, the P3ESR is an insane deal. I would kill to have them on my desk. They will match perfectly at 15W per channel from your Leben amp. Go for the rosewood finish, it's killer.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 32
Check out the Dynaudio Excite X12.  I would really go through Stereophile and check out mini-monitors.  The Dynaudio is top of the list I believe but there have been a number of others the past year as well.  Take advantage of some of the new drivers that have popped up on these.  Good luck!

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
erm if you want big and prominent bass why do you want standmounts, wouldnt floorstanders make more sense?

That would leave out desk top system.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 32
Cool. Thanks for the input. I will check out your recommendations for sure.

Quote:
Harbeth P3ESR and Leben work well together

Actually, I briefly had an old pair of HL-P3s based on a some reviews about them being a good match with Lebens. They were good but just not quite what I was looking for- I really want something with a little more bass presence and warmth. Also, the upper mids seemed a bit too forward in comparison to the Denons that I have. I will read up on the P3ESRs though and certainly give them a listen if I can. Harbeth is pretty popular in Japan so they will not be hard to find.

Quote:
erm if you want big and prominent bass why do you want standmounts, wouldnt floorstanders make more sense?

Yeah, I am limited by space. I am working with a small rectangular room with my table desk centered and pushed against one of the short sides. There is just no way to do anything but keep the speakers on the table.

I have research and reading to do, but if anyone has any ready-answers to the following questions or other thoughts and recommendations, they would be most welcome.

These little monitors make me nervous about bass output though. Anyone using a 2.1 system? Does it matter if the sub is made by a different manufacturer? Fostex is readily available here with monitors and matching subs.

Are any of the bigger speakers, like B&W 805’s, suitable for near-field placement?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 32

As I understand it, one of the biggest issues for a desktop system with the speakers near the wall, is unwanted bass reinforcement. In your case, this may not be a bad thing. Most monitors sound their best when some distance from the wall. Also, most speakers are bass reflex designs with ports in the rear, making their use near a wall problematic. Make sure that any bass reflex speakers have their ports in front. Sadly, I think that makes the Dyn’s previously suggested not a good choice.

In your case, a sealed monitor may make a great deal of sense. They roll off slowly and the nearness to the wall can be used to reinforce the bass. ATC makes a couple. I think Silverline may have a sealed speaker. I think the Spica TC50 may also be sealed. GR Research has a diy option called the Neo 2. (US based).

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the input. I will check out your recommendations for sure.

Quote:
Harbeth P3ESR and Leben work well together

Actually, I briefly had an old pair of HL-P3s based on a some reviews about them being a good match with Lebens. They were good but just not quite what I was looking for- I really want something with a little more bass presence and warmth. Also, the upper mids seemed a bit too forward in comparison to the Denons that I have. I will read up on the P3ESRs though and certainly give them a listen if I can. Harbeth is pretty popular in Japan so they will not be hard to find.

Quote:

Yeah, I am limited by space. I am working with a small rectangular room with my table desk centered and pushed against one of the short sides. There is just no way to do anything but keep the speakers on the table.

I have research and reading to do, but if anyone has any ready-answers to the following questions or other thoughts and recommendations, they would be most welcome.

These little monitors make me nervous about bass output though. Anyone using a 2.1 system? Does it matter if the sub is made by a different manufacturer? Fostex is readily available here with monitors and matching subs.

Are any of the bigger speakers, like B&W 805’s, suitable for near-field placement?

Thanks!

I use a different manuf sub with my Omega monitors and they blend well. i found out that setting sub at where the monitor cuts off gives me the best sound. My sub is set at 48Hz and reinforces and extends the monitor bass from 48hz to 25 hz,  They do not need be from the same company.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 32
Hi Gu Sensei,

I feel like I owe you for the advice you gave me before I bought the leben. So Here goes:

I have a pair of Proac Tablettes. I use them exclusively in near/mid field listening mode. They sound really great with all kind of music. The bass doesn't go all that deep, but the upper bass is perfect and most of the time fools my brain into thinking there is more bass than their really is. I have read some of your headphone reviews and I suspect we have ears that are not so far apart. The treble is clear, the bass well defined. But maybe a bit more in balance that a "fun" headphone. Tones are rich. The tablette signature has even more bass and I would have bought those but I was on a budget (Senns, Leben and Black Cube Linear all bought in the last twelve months) so I went with the regular tablettes because I found them 1 year old used at a great price.

Unlike some of the other posters I don't think you will like the Harbeths. I don't think they actually match that well with the leben for the kindof music you like.Although I admit only to having demoed them in the shop,  I found that they are great with a low power amps for chamber music and Jazz. But for SYmphoney and fast rock music they didn't quite do it. On a fuller power amp they are better than my Tablettes.

Maybe you can't get these speakers easily in Japan or for a decent price. But if you find them, definitely check them out.

Best Regards,

Shabta

Quote:
It would be wonderful if some of you kind head fi members could take a moment and help me with my speaker purchase.

I am looking for a high-end pair of bookshelf speakers to be placed on shelves on a large desk for near-field and usually low to moderate level listening. They would be driven by my Leben CS300X.

My listening habits revolve around the likes of Beck, Macy Gray, PJ Harvey, Zappa, Bjork, Talking Heads, The Roots, Nirvana, Prince, and 80’s New Wave.

Amazing (and prominent) bass is a must. I am willing to try a subwoofer also if that is really the best way to go. I generally prefer headphones labeled ‘fun and musical’ around these parts. The D7000s being a representative example. Full body, prominent but defined bass, clear treble, rich tone are key features I reckon.

I am pretty happy with the sound signature of the pair I have been using, Denon SC-A77XG, but suspect I can get a decent upgrade. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be sold outside of Japan so they will not serve as much of a reference for others.

My price range is around $2,000 but I will be delighted to spend less. I plan to buy used and should be able to audition first.

I suspect most models available elsewhere are available here, but here a list of manufacturers that I often encounter: B&W, Dali,  JBL, Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, Focal-JM lab, Spendor, Tangent, Tannoy, Vienna Acoustic, Fostex, Klipsch, KEF, & the usual Japanese brands.

Any recommendations or ideas would be most welcomed. Also, if there is a good no-nonsense site for reviews, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 32
Thanks Shabta, the ProAc tablettes (50 & Reference 8's) are around here. I will definitely give them a listen when I get the chance.

They are ported in the rear though. How do you have yours placed? Eliminating rear ported monitors really limits my options.

Can you hear any hum from the Leben when you are close to the speakers? That is another little concern of mine.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back