High-End Audio Cassette Fetish!
May 15, 2002 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
Anywayz, just wondering if anybody knows which is best from past experience (not that I've been able to purchase them around town, buying from eBay and UK vendors would cost a fortune and not prepare yet to commit):

Candidates:
Sony Super Metal Master - got 3 in hand, one already got eaten! =( (Only found 4 of them months ago)
TDK MA-XG - UK vendors charge a lot on the net
Maxell Metal Vertex - no luck finding

After experimenting with the Super Metal Masters, I bought a Denon S-Port Metal and it also sounds pretty impressive, better bass response but not as clear highs.

I've been trying to dig up some older version blank tapes around the older audio stores in town... but so far not much luck finding the above three besides the rare left-over older Japan made versions of Maxell MX/MX-S/XL-II/XLII-S, TDK SA-X, and Sony Metal-SR/UX/UX Pro. But I've used these yeons ago so just collecting up un-opened cassettes one of each now as all of them seem to have discontinued???

May 15, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 16
TDKs current offerings

I mentioned in a previous thread about the likes of Sony ES metal tapes, TDK MA (still made) MAX, and MAX-G

The original Sony Metal Master (NOT the 'Super' Version, same ceramic shell, but standard plastic case, not the metal case of the 'Super' variant...

May 16, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 16
When I was really into tapes before car CDP's got good. I had Nakamichi home/car decks and compared all but the Sony (TDK,Maxell,Fuji) and found the TDK MA to be most natural sounding from top to bottom. I liked their overall performance the best.

May 17, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 16
Okay here's something I don't really get... what's the difference between Metal TypeIV and TypeII tapes? The cost between the two aren't significant and if Metal tapes are so good, then why don't everybody just buy Metal? (provided that your tape deck can record Metal tapes)

May 17, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 16
everybody who uses cassette tape SHOULD use metal. as far as i'm concerned the other types are only good for dictation, especially if you don't use dolby n.r. like me.

the difference is in formulation and grain size of the metal particles. metal tape has much lower noise and a wider frequency response.

plus if you record on to analog tape you should really use an analog source like a turntable, otherwise you are bottle-necking the audio quality at the dac.

May 17, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 16
There isn't too much available in the US anymore. I've bought stuff from www.tapeworld.com for many years, and long ago decided to use TDK exclusively. My Nakamichi was set up for it (Nak tapes were made by TDK), and many years ago I bought as many TKD MA-R tapes as I could. Those are the super casettes with the metal skeleton frame and the polycarbonate faces. I've never had a TDK metal tape break, and I still think recording onto the MA-R gives superb sound. The only TDK metal tape is the MA formulation & shell, and it's an excellent tape.

Metal has been only pennies more than the other formulations, and well worth the added headroom, as long as your equipment is set up for it. My Sony WM-D6C works great with the TDK stuff, as does my car's head unit.

May 17, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 16
...as i've said in a couple of other threads, Type IV tapes haven't always been the best... Type III tapes (Ferri-Chrome) had, whilst not as much headroom ~ a clearer and deeper sound than type IV

...Probably why the formulation was deleted... why use IV if III is better?!

May 17, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Duncan, i didn't even know a Type III existed!

As for Metal tapes, i'm sure the Type two tapes (TDK's at least) that have the 'S' in them are better than standard Metal tapes (i remember seeing this from TDK's own grading system). To be quite honest, i never saw these hi end grades when i was into cassettes...damn shame really, i stuck with Type IIS (?) tapes from TDK.

Interesting thread though....
wink.gif

May 17, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 16
For tapes, audio or video, I buy TDK they have the best sound a longevity from my experince. Though I don't buy either anymore because I just use CDs and DVDs now, which I still use TDK.

May 17, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 16
You guys are not talking about the newer batch of TDK tapes I hope (ie. from the last 3 years or so) cuz I've noticed that even their SA-X cassettes are not what they once were, really bad quality shell (blemishes here and there) and worst of all, dropouts everywhere!!! I'm not kidding, apparently the TDKs I bought from the early 90's are superb, even the old SAs were much much better than the current SA-X.

Just to verify my findings, I took out my only SA-X tape that I got a few weeks ago and did a few recordings, just horrible compare to the Maxell XLII-S which is excellent! Really much much better than the inferior XLII!

Well I think that's the fun part about cassettes.. cuz with MDs, I can pretty much buy anything and it'll sound the same.

May 17, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 16
here is some info on tape types i found:
Quote:

14.24 What is Type I, Type II, Type III, and Type IV cassette tape?
These are IEC (International Electrotechnical Committee) standards. They provide broad standards for all tapes, and end the need to align a deck for an individual tape. Type 1 is for normal "iron oxide" tapes (Fe2O3), Type 2 is for high-bias "chromium oxide" tapes (CrO2), Type 3 (obsolete) is for FeCr (ferric chrome), and Type 4 is for Fe (Metal). Type 2 tapes tend to be more expensive than type 1, and type 4 tapes are the most expensive. This is because type 2 tapes tend to have less noise and flatter high frequency response than type 1, and type 4 tapes tend to have even flatter highs and even less noise.

Some Type 1 tapes are more expensive than other Type 2 tapes, and may be worth the extra price. More expensive tapes come in better shells, have better lubrication, fewer dropouts, smoother frequency response, and better uniformity from tape to tape. Even though the types imply a particular tape formulations, the type really refers to the tape performance. For example, some iron oxide tapes have an unusual oxide formulation with very small grains that conforms to the type 2 standard better than the type 1 standard. These tapes will be labeled type 2, but may not have any chrome in them.

audio faq

May 17, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 16
funny, I found an auction days ago on an old unused TDK SA-XG typeII tape (SA-X tape in the metal reinforced shell) and I missed the auction so I emailed the guy about availability... he said it cost him $18US each and he bought 10... but that's crazy cuz a SA-X tape across from my house is around $4CDN, and $18US is like almost $30CDN!!! and the tape is not even metal typeIV!

In comparison, my Sony SMMs were only $15CDN before tax... I think either the guy's BSing or he got gipped big time!

May 18, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
In comparison, my Sony SMMs were only $15CDN before tax... I think either the guy's BSing or he got gipped big time!

No, I don't think he was BSing...

Sony Super Metal Masters here in the UK when we had them were £17 each ($24US) convert that to CAD$ then you'll see that we got a really poor deal........

May 28, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 16
The only problem with Type III tapes is that a lot of units only have a type "metal" bias (I.E. Type II or IV). I'm not sure what's going on with today's day of auto-detect hardware (there's little dips in the top to identify Types I, III, and IV). But that's just what I noticed.

However, it depends on your equipment. A good III will be better than a bad IV. If your equipment will handle it, III is damnfine!

May 28, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #15 of 16
Funny thing is that i never saw a Type III cassette in a general store or one of those little shops in chinatown that export tapes from Japan (ya know, like 34mins, 44mins, 54mins, 64mins and even 74mins tapes!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back