High Definition iTunes Music Downloads May Be on the Horizon
Apr 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Solitary1

1000+ Head-Fier
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/10/high-definition-itunes-music-downloads/

I'm ready!

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 12
iTunes will do it eventually, they did the same with 128>256 and same thing with movies/shows also SD>HD. Of Course there will be a charge for the upgrade also but i will gladly pay it! All they have to do is release a larger classic (with digi/analog line out) and make a second tier on music match for 25,000+ songs available and they will be any Audiophiles favorite company. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 12
If people are stupid enough to spend lots of money on it, of course Apple will do it.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 12
For those of us who understand and appreciate the value of higher definition music, this is IMHO nothing but good news.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 12
  For those of us who understand and appreciate the value of higher definition music, this is IMHO nothing but good news.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you. I was going off on the previous poster. But, we know where the real stupidity lies.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 12

Thank you. I was going off on the previous poster. But, we know where the real stupidity lies.

Yes, science and the sampling theorem that created digital music are stupid...

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 12
May 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 12
My thoughts are, does apple have the audience for these presumably more expensive downloads? All the people I know who use iTunes listen on sub-par at the most systems. I don't think many of Apple's customers have the gear to appreciate the higher res.

May 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 12
^This is the least of anyone's concern, imo. I have two arguments that may be slightly incongruent.

1. It's about the perception of quality, not whether or not that quality makes a difference on a given system (e.g. apple earbuds).
2. Some gear that Apple sells in Apple Stores (b&w) is reaching a level that may benefit from high res. Also, 24-bit DACs becoming more prevalent.

I'm not convinced it'll raise prices either. Part of the infrastructure is there with the Mastered for iTunes initiative. They'd just need to submit the 24-bit masters already used.

So, if it doesn't raise prices and (*puts on salesman hat*) really cranks those new Beats that you bought at the Apple Store to their full potential, it mainly just adds value to their product line.

Personally, I think it's a smart move. I think the main issue here is that there will be a segmented market. I'm guessing new iPhones/iPods/iPads would need to be released with upgraded internal DACs for this to work to its full potential. But hey, that's what Apple does. I'd rather have a new DAC than a fingerprint scanner. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 12
  If people are stupid enough to spend lots of money on it...

The irony here is that this statement pretty much epitomise "audiophile" in general. Like how people are willing to pay Woo Audio $1100 for a CD transport and claim it makes tracks sound more "dynamic".

On topic: I can't wait for this to happen. Finally I can get rid off all my CDs and just buy CD quality online. No more dealing with ripping, jitter, scratches, the need to have a CD player. Not to mention the convenience of pulling songs off the cloud on your iOS devices any where you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back