High current USB charging cable?
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheGiantHogweed

1000+ Head-Fier
This isn't to do with audio, but I hope it is still suitable to be on this forum section.

I am really struggling to find USB to micro USB cables that are capable of close to 2.4A at 5V.

The wall charger I have is this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Char...r=1-1-spons&keywords=anker+wall+charger&psc=1

I do think Anker should be one of the top brands for these sorts of things so I think I can trust this. I very often use portable chargers. And it is the time they take to recharge that seems to be my problem. I have this portable charger below:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-2...qid=1510844127&sr=1-2&keywords=ravpower+22000

This has a 2.4 amp input so I should be able to get close to that. The cables that came with it seem pretty good. A 20 and 60cm one. I have a USB test meter and they both manage about 2.1A.
Just today, I received an order of some longer USB cables that the seller specifically advertised on the page could handle up to 2.4A. With the 6ft cable, I could barely get over 1A. I know there will be a slight drop over a long length cable but should there be this much?

All USB cables I have bought that are around 2M have usually been rubbish. One I bought was so thin it could hardly manage 0.5A. This one I got today is actually the first one that seems to manage over 1A. What I am looking for is a some cables that are around 1 and 2 metres that can easily handle over 2A as I can only get really short ones to do this. But from what I have experienced, is that even possible? I have the same problem with tablets that charge via micro USB. The charger that comes with most tablets usually will be 2A or over, but the cable barely ever can handle that much. If I use my short 20cm cable with my tablet, then it charges a lot faster. Until recently, I never thought length would make a difference, but I think it is more the quality of the wires inside. If they are longer, I really think they need to make them thicker so there is less loss.

So, could anyone suggest a type of cable I should go for, or is what I am trying to achieve not even possible? I'm not bothered if it transfers data or not. Something strange I have noticed is my cheap tablets often also have a DC port on them. A 5v pin charger. If you get a USB cable to the right size pin for them, that seems to be far quicker than micro USB. May that be because it doesn't have any data wires or is micro USB just not the quickest way to charge by 5V?

I'm a bit puzzled by all this. I would much appreciate some help!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Look at the blitzwolf ampcore cables. They are far better than any cable i have ever seen. https://www.blitzwolf.com/Android-Cables-c-23.html
They should be pretty easy to get from banggood for example.
Just looked on Amazon.co.uk. There are several available between 1m and 1.8 and 2.5. The price is a fair bit more which hopefully means the current will still be strong no matter what the length is. Thanks for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back