High current, low gain amp for Grados?
Apr 10, 2006 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

spaceconvoy

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking for something (cheap) to power my new HF-1s. I've done some research, and it seems like the A47 (CHA47) is a good candidate but doesn't get mentioned much around here lately. My uneducated guess is that all the new designs based on the AD8397 (PINT and Mini^3) are making it obsolete? From some of the descriptions I've read, they both seem to work towards similar ends: that is, high current and relatively low gain that is optimal for Grados.

Can anyone compare these two types of amps for me (dumbing it down so I can understand
icon10.gif
) and what is the best version?

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Regular Cmoy's and A47's don't get much discussion because there is no one that really sells a consistant and finished package for it. I found it to be more of a DIY'ers amp.

Most of the amps being discussed here are a finished product where someone regularly builds, sells and provides support or an amp built upon a PCB board (pimeta, pint etc) that has excellent documentation and support.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Gotcha
wink.gif
wrong forum. Mods, can this be moved?

(That said, I'm not really interested in DIY, more in sound quality. I feel like if I posted this in the DIY forum I'd get a lot of discussion about slew, voltage, buffering, and a lot of other technical junk that doesn't really matter to me. I'd rather have someone tell me which they feel sounds better with Grados, but I guess this isn't the place for it?)

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Why don't take a look at PA2V2?
It's a great cheap amp. Also suitable for low impedance cans that need more current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back