High-centric headphones
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elmoe

Formerly known as Jashugan
Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

After quite a few years away from Head-Fi, I am back for more.

I just jumped the gun on a pair of used Grado SR325is and couldn't resist grabbing a pair of Sennheisers HD6XX from massdrop, after reading that they are as good as HD650s (would love more opinions on this!!)

I still have most of my old gear though I've sold most of my headphones, I am now back in the market to gather up my old favorites (SR325is, Sony MDR-SA5000s, Stax 404s).

I am also looking for recommendations on headphones that may be a good fit for my taste. As you can probably tell, I love high-centric headphones with dynamic mids, the SR325is still being my favorite pair of headphones ever.

Price is no limit. Music taste is very eclectic, don't pay that too much mind, just know that I absolutely love the sound of SR325is, Sony MDR-SA5000s and Stax 404s, haven't been around the headphone scene in years, and am very eager and curious to find out what new toys have come out since that would fit the bill.

They will be paired with:

Mostly FLAC --> 24bit/192kHz digital interface (XMOS) --> Benchmark DAC-1 --> maxxed out Singlepower MPX3 tube amp

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!!

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Beyerdynamic has caught a lot of flak for the tesla line having such emphasized treble. They're not necessarily treble-centric, but the treble is very prominent. I own the T5p and DT1770, and I think either would fit the bill for you. The T5p's overall tonal balance leans more toward the upper ranges, so it might be closer to what you're looking for. The DT1770 has a flatter mid range and the most excellent bass I've ever heard. Might be a good option for you if you want that treble-emphasized sound, but a slightly different flavor to compliment your other headphones.

In the more budget-friendly range, the AKG K612 is pretty upper-end focused. Upper mids are brought up, as well as the whole treble region. They have a huuuge soundstage, with quite good imaging. Very comfortable, too. They can be a little shouty to me at times, but at other times I absolutely love them.

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi all,

After quite a few years away from Head-Fi, I am back for more

.....Price is no limit.

If you haven't seen prices in a few years... you might be surprised :money_mouth:

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi all,

After quite a few years away from Head-Fi, I am back for more.

I just jumped the gun on a pair of used Grado SR325is and couldn't resist grabbing a pair of Sennheisers HD6XX from massdrop, after reading that they are as good as HD650s (would love more opinions on this!!)

I still have most of my old gear though I've sold most of my headphones, I am now back in the market to gather up my old favorites (SR325is, Sony MDR-SA5000s, Stax 404s).

I am also looking for recommendations on headphones that may be a good fit for my taste. As you can probably tell, I love high-centric headphones with dynamic mids, the SR325is still being my favorite pair of headphones ever.

Price is no limit. Music taste is very eclectic, don't pay that too much mind, just know that I absolutely love the sound of SR325is, Sony MDR-SA5000s and Stax 404s, haven't been around the headphone scene in years, and am very eager and curious to find out what new toys have come out since that would fit the bill.

They will be paired with:

Mostly FLAC --> 24bit/192kHz digital interface (XMOS) --> Benchmark DAC-1 --> maxxed out Singlepower MPX3 tube amp

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!!
Most people's opinion is 6xx is exact same sounding as 650, just cheaper paint. Look at vintage 590's for bright stuff, only like 50 bucks now

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Beyerdynamic has caught a lot of flak for the tesla line having such emphasized treble. They're not necessarily treble-centric, but the treble is very prominent. I own the T5p and DT1770, and I think either would fit the bill for you. The T5p's overall tonal balance leans more toward the upper ranges, so it might be closer to what you're looking for. The DT1770 has a flatter mid range and the most excellent bass I've ever heard. Might be a good option for you if you want that treble-emphasized sound, but a slightly different flavor to compliment your other headphones.

In the more budget-friendly range, the AKG K612 is pretty upper-end focused. Upper mids are brought up, as well as the whole treble region. They have a huuuge soundstage, with quite good imaging. Very comfortable, too. They can be a little shouty to me at times, but at other times I absolutely love them.

Thank you for taking the time, I appreciate it! I do remember testing a DT880 pro and a DT660 and liking those alot, I will have to give the DT1770 a try. I did own a pair of AKG k701s which I also liked, but ultimately sold them and stuck with the MDR-SA5000s. I will look into the K612s as well.

If you haven't seen prices in a few years... you might be surprised :money_mouth:

Haha, no doubt, when I started I did not have much $$$ to invest, now I'm in a better position to spend money on higher-end cans, so any recommendations are welcome!

Most people's opinion is 6xx is exact same sounding as 650, just cheaper paint. Look at vintage 590's for bright stuff, only like 50 bucks now

Thank you, I appreciate that. Ultimately the Sennheiser sound signature is not my favorite, I jumped the gun on the 6XX because of the price, to be used with certain music genres, but having had some time with 580s in the past I don't think the 590s will be a good fit.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Beyerdynamic T70 250 ohm seems like the perfect headphone for you I think. A very bright sounding headphone with the stock earpads which I liked but ended up putting T5P earpads on mine's which made the T70 250 ohm very neutral. The T70 250 ohm is criminally underrated. Easily the best Beyerdynamic I ever heard.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Beyerdynamic T70 250 ohm seems like the perfect headphone for you I think. A very bright sounding headphone with the stock earpads which I liked but ended up putting T5P earpads on mine's which made the T70 250 ohm very neutral. The T70 250 ohm is criminally underrated. Easily the best Beyerdynamic I ever heard.

Great, I figured I would get a lot of Beyer recommendations. I will try to find the T70s locally and give them a listen as well, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back