High Capacity CD Changer/Transport
Jun 15, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
And yeah, you can definitely do better with any of that stuff if you spend more money. If you end up with the 27ix and a multi-terrabyte server with all your discs encoded, I'm definitely going to be green with envy.

I did look at the Wadia 27ix and was drooling until I saw the price. For $9,000(!!) I can use my PC as a DSP and massage the signal to bliss myself! I've decided that my price limit on a quality DAC is around $3500 (I might go as high as $4000 but it better be ****ing perfect!). Anything less than that I'll get a lot of storage and a good 24/192 sound card and do the data processing myself.

Right now the APE option looks the most intresting except for the price of DASD that size (today, in 2 years it's a different story). The otehr problem I have with APE files is I really wish they would have some system that would encapsulate the cue sheet into the .ape file so I wouldn't have to jerk around with the .apl files. They shoudl at *least* make the .apl files so they don't have to reside in the same directory as the ape file. This way I don't have to clutter up a single directory with 15 .apl files (which I'm ok with), one .ape file and another .cue file that generated the whole mess.. If the APL could take a filename and path (and maybe it can but I can't figure out how) so I can store the .ape and .cue fiels somewhere else it would be much better, IMHO.

I do agree that the Monkey Audio files should sound better than a transport source... Modern hard disks just aren't prone to time-consumming error correction. Once you get a solid rip with EAC it's there and the bits aren't going to change based on the lunar cycle in relation to the temperature and humidty of the day. If you push those bits straight out of an S/PDIF output without touching them (*cough* SB Live!) and delver them to a quality DAC that reclocks or does something to reduce jitter to practically nothingI think you have just blown away (or at least matched) the most expensive, highest quality transport in existance.

The way it's looking this may be the direction I'll be going. If I do this though I will absolutly require that single disc transport so I don't have to fart around with ripping and encodding when I get home from the CD store. I tend to do that in batches anyhow. I fifure I have about 50 or so discs that are in the heavest rotation so that's only, what, about 20 GB? I have at least 30GB of unused storage laying around here.

Plus I have a DLT VI drive around here too that can store 35GB per tape. That should do well enough to start holding the encoded CDs until the DASD catches up.

BTW, RAID-0 is stripping. Basically you would take two drives of the same capacity and join them as one logical drive of double that capicty and load balance read and write operations between the two. It's fast as hell but offers no redundancy so the RAID term is a bit of a misnomer with RAID-0. Seeing how it's just audio and I have the original CDs plus I could easily make DLT backups the liklihood of a failure means nothing more to me than some lost time restoring from tape and re-ripping those that were not backed-up.

Hmm, if my numbers above are right, 500 discs would be about 200GB, a number *easily* acheivable with a pair of ATAPI drives these days.

(Math isn't my strong point so help me out here... Figure 500 MB per average CD, figure Monkey's Audio will take that day at *least* 20% (usually more) so that's 400 MB / CD. 400 MB * 500 CDs equals about 200 GB with some serious margin of error).

If this is the case the changer may just be a dumb idea after all as I could get nearly infinite capacity for about the same price as 2 quality mega changers and I wouldn't have to deal with their mediocre transports. Plus I could always throw the stuff I listen to the most on a USB hard drive and have it at work with a USB->S/PDIF output and throw that into a reasonable DAC. This would give me a *great* setup at home with a very good setup at work and still keeping most all of my music handy (which is a feature I just love about the PJB100).

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
pioneer makes a 50 cd changer...

I'm looking for something 500 +. 50 just isn't enough for the long-haul.

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 29
Nezer
The 27ix goes for about $4k used--sometimes a bit less. I know, I looked. Believe me, I considered it. My local dealer offered me the 270/27ix combo for $8500. You can't even imagine the emotional pain I was in while saying no thank you.

Anyway, I think I'm getting at least 20% on my .ape files so that's probably realistic. I only have 20 or so discs encoded to .ape so far with a good assortment of 192k mp3s as well. I've got something around 30 gigs of files total so far. The RAID is overkill for music -- the speed coming off of an IBM deskstar is more than enough for streaming music.

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 29
Just don't accidentally set your RAID array to RAID -1*... (RAID-5 is striping with parity, RAID-1 is mirroring, RAID-0 is striping no parity, and RAID--1 dosen't store the data at all
wink.gif
)

* as mentioned in the BOFH Tales (http://bofh.ntk.net)

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Just don't accidentally set your RAID array to RAID -1*... (RAID-5 is striping with parity, RAID-1 is mirroring, RAID-0 is striping no parity, and RAID--1 dosen't store the data at all
wink.gif
)

* as mentioned in the BOFH Tales (http://bofh.ntk.net)

RAID -1 is cheap...

Actually I just priced together a system for $1800 and includes 4 160GB drives and an on-board RAID controller. I also see that Hightech now has a 4-channel RAID controller that can support up to *8* device in a RAID-0 set. That could be 1.2 TERABYTE of storage all on cheap commodity hardware. Now, will the controller supprt a logical drive that size?

This is probably the route I'm going.

Any suggestions on a sound card that is reasonably priced and doesn't muck with the digital audio output? Would the Audigy work or does it up-sample even on the digital outs? I want to be sure that if I were to play an audio bitstream that I could capture that bitstream, trim the nulls off the front and back and have *exactly* the same stream (which would be the wav file without the header).

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #22 of 29
I believe that Linn makes a HD-based digital music server.
Knekt Kivor System

Might I suggest, if you go through with your HD-based system, that you put a 802.11b wifi card into the box. Then get a PocketPC and a matching 802.11b pc card. Presto--now you have remote

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Kubernetes
I believe that Linn makes a HD-based digital music server.
Knekt Kivor System

Might I suggest, if you go through with your HD-based system, that you put a 802.11b wifi card into the box. Then get a PocketPC and a matching 802.11b pc card. Presto--now you have remote

I listen with corded headphones so I'm not going too far from the setup so a remote isn't all that handy though your idea of using a palm-top device w/802.11b as a remote is a great one!

Speaking of wireless... Time to post another thread.

Jun 16, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

I listen with corded headphones so I'm not going too far from the setup so a remote isn't all that handy

Well, I was thinking of the remote in case you wanted to sit on the couch or hook your baby up to speakers--nothing like flipping through your entire catalog of music while sitting on your barcalounger with a martini.

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 29
The Terratec gets good reviews but does anyone know of a good soundcard that ONLY outputs a digital bitstream?

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

The Terratec gets good reviews but does anyone know of a good soundcard that ONLY outputs a digital bitstream?

Not one that outputs a bitsream worth a ****. All the ones I can find do 49KHz only. The thing is, it's so trivial to add this to an existing interface you may as well get the other goddies along with.

I would start my checking out the M-Audio DiO 24/96 or the Audiophile 24/96.

The more I look over thier prodcuts the more I'm begining to look aththe DiO 410 which has stereo SPDIF ins and outs as well as two analog single-ended inputs along with 8(!) analog single-ended outputs. This would give me a LOT of routing flexibility. THe marketing literature specifically says something that makes me think the SPDIF does absolutly NOTHIGN to the stream except push it out in whatever format it's fed from the driver (up to 96k).

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

What about using something like this?
http://egosys.net/1-pro/eng/product/wt_u2a/wtu2a.html

If the USB isn't a bottleneck, this would be ideal for me because I could use it at work or at home (or at any other PC).

USB isn't a bottleneck unless you have devices consuming a lot of bandwidth (like an audio card).

I have Tascam US-428 and it handles six channels of 24/48k audio plus midi on the USB bus all at teh same time. Granted you really don't want anything else on the bus at that point but it's certainly doable.

As long as there is a good signal drive off the coax and it doesn't touch the audio stream (ie the driver just delivers the bitstream without touching it) I just don't see how anything else really matters as we bypass the internal DAC. At this point allw e have to worry about is noise in the SPDIF transport.

It appears that my mind is pretty-much made up about using a computer as a transport. I would want to make sure that whatever DAC I use deals with any jitter that may be introduced and I've been assured by the Cary engineers that the 306/200 does .

This solution should give me a mega-jukebox and a high-end single-transport CDP for a *cough* reasonable price. Certainly less than a Wadia 861!

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 29
I'm not sure the best place for advice is the engineers who designed the product.
smily_headphones1.gif
None the less, I've heard nothing but good about the 306/200 and it does answer most of your needs--it's supposedly excellent as a both a CD player and as a DAC. Of course, if *I* bought a 306/200, I'd be wondering how I could upgrade the output stage--muahaha. Contact the tjoeb njoeb guys and see what they can do with a real player instead of POS Marantz.

Anyway, how do you think that external soundcard would fare against something internal--given that we'll both be using external DACs regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back