High Bit-Rate Streaming Service?
Mar 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked several times, but didn't see it when searched. 

I was wondering what services offers highest bit-rate in streaming, and which services are preferred over the others.  I'd like to hear some recommendations and opinions on the options that exists.

I like low price or freebees, but if I must pay I will pay if the service has lots of features.  I personally like Pandora's radio stations, and recommendations to discover music, that is one feature I like, in terms of bit-rate, other services probably provides higher, no?

I also like high bit-rate streaming services if available for smart phones if possible.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 20
Spotify offers 128kbps OGG for free, which is superior to MP3. If you're willing to pay 5$ a month, they offer 320kbps OGG, and they've got a pretty impressive selection of music.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 20
I have A/B'd Spotify on a bunch of albums with Google Music and I dunno what's up but Spotify's SQ is kinda rough for a bunch of 'em. Lower volume and less clear, and that's with a premium subscription. However, their discovery engine is top notch.

If you don't need flawless recommendations (but are okay with just going with stuff like "similar artists" and auto-play radio) Google Play Music All Access has been my service of choice lately. The library is the biggest you'll find in the US, 320kbps MP3 that sounds fantabulous. 

Rdio comes in a close 2nd for me, and falls behind Google ONLY due to catalogue size. They have a lot of awesome features that Google doesn't (way better apps, seamless transition from device to device). Try a trial on both of those two, I'm sure one will suit your needs. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 20
Google Music is 320 now? Last time I check their "high quality" was 256, while Spotify's "extreme" is 320.

Let me know because I will convert in a heartbeat, I'd love to have my on-device files, cloud storage, and streaming all in one.

Yep. 96, 192, and 320 I believe. I know it goes up to 320 but I'm not 100% on the middle step. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm also looking to get a subscription. Deezer seems to be really good on the desktop site, but you need premium+ (£5/month for 6 months and then £10) to listen on mobile. I think Google Play is £10 and Spotify is £5.

Is the sound quality difference that big and noticeable?

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 20
It really depends. On a lot of albums, not really. On some, Google is NOTICEABLY better. I would absolutely get Deezer if it was in the US, though. They seem to have the biggest catalogue of anyone. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Looks like Pandora is 192 AAC.  I wonder what MP3 bitrate it is equivalent to?  I know MP3 is lower quality than AAC.

Although, I prefer Pandora since I love it's music discovery, sounds like the draw of Spotify is the OGG format at 320.

How are you guys getting $5 a month?  They charge $10 from what I see.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 20
$5 is for students. Just pay then ten! It's worth it! 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back