HIFIMAN's NEW Flagship IEM Svanar!
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28
Introducing the new HIFIMAN Flagship IEM: Svanar!
2023.2.23 Svanar.jpg

The new Svanar IEM features brass in the front chamber and an aluminum alloy in the rear, placing the center of gravity at the pinna, or outer ear. By doing so, stability, fit, and comfort are maximized, even when enjoying extended listening sessions.

“Brass is an essential ingredient in the Svanar,” says Dr. Fang Bian, President, and CEO, HIFIMAN Electronics. “It’s resonant performance and overall density reinforce sonics by way of synchronous vibration, adding up to a detailed, realistic soundstage typically associated with the finest studio headphones, but in an IEM that is light, durable, and consistently comfortable, hour after hour.”

HIFIMAN’s patented Topology Diaphragm technology features a special Nano particle coating that is applied to the surface. The result is a more natural and detailed sound than what is typically achieved in wireless earphones

"Different nano materials have differing structures and each of those materials has its own properties,” says Dr. Bian. “Therefore, by carefully controlling the diaphragm’s surface structure, we can yield different results in acoustic performance to a previously unobtainable degree.”

The Svanar features a powerful 9.2mm dynamic neodymium driver to enhance both the sonic output and overall durability through the years. Cables that are packaged with the Svanar are made from the finest silver-coated crystalline copper wire.

Specifications:
Frequency response: 5Hz - 35kHz
Impedance: 60Ω
Sensitivity: 100dB.

Svanar is now available at a suggested retail price of $1,999

Where to purchase:
HIFIMAN online store: http://store.hifiman.com/
HIFIMAN's authorized dealers: https://hifiman.com/dealers#

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 28
The cable...:scream: Fang needs to finally learn to include an attractive cable with his products. Outsource it, whatever, but no more cables that look like they came with a $10 product. There are $20 IEMs with better looking cables-probably better performing too.

Fang is absolutely masterful at making beautiful sounding products, especially at the flagship level. I love HiFiMAN products and have bought and owned them all the way from the HiFiMAN RE0 to the Susvara. I have no doubt this will sound as elegant at its name. However, it is no excuse for ignoring a decade of feedback from consumers, and ignoring industry trends towards better looking and performing cables. Poor quality cables should not be a chosen part of HiFiMAN's identity.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 28
The cable...:scream: Fang needs to finally learn to include an attractive cable with his products. Outsource it, whatever, but no more cables that look like they came with a $10 product. There are $20 IEMs with better looking cables-probably better performing too.

Fang is absolutely masterful at making beautiful sounding products, especially at the flagship level. I love HiFiMAN products and have bought and owned them all the way from the HiFiMAN RE0 to the Susvara. I have no doubt this will sound as elegant at its name. However, it is no excuse for ignoring a decade of feedback from consumers, and ignoring industry trends towards better looking and performing cables. Poor quality cables should not be a chosen part of HiFiMAN's identity.
The only stock cable i like is the Audeze braided one.

Every company should work on that actually.
Focal, Sennheiser 2020 iems cable and above are the worst nightmare, et cetera

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 28
Fang should be the first guy with the balls to ship headphones without cables at all. Everyone "upgrades" them anyway. Why bother?

You're really telling me people are using stock cables on $2000 IEMs?

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 28
Maybe Fang is not a cable believer.

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 28

Gotta agree. I can get a nicer cable from Linsoul for $20. Also, Hifiman needs to stop naming everything with similar names. The Sundara should not be similar to the Susvara and the Svarna - too similar and it creates confusion. That's just bad branding.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 28
I was intrigued by the naming because Swedish is my first language and haven't actually heard much about the product other than seeing the initial announcement from HiFiMAN. I do find the naming scheme a bit odd. When I first got into the headphone hobby I could never remember the difference between the Sundara and the Susvara, and I understand why it would be difficult for people to remember the name Svanar. Worth noting is that "svanar" translates to swans in plural and not singular form. I guess that makes sense since they're a pair of IEMs but I still think it sounds a bit awkward in Swedish...

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 28
I was intrigued by the naming because Swedish is my first language and haven't actually heard much about the product other than seeing the initial announcement from HiFiMAN. I do find the naming scheme a bit odd. When I first got into the headphone hobby I could never remember the difference between the Sundara and the Susvara, and I understand why it would be difficult for people to remember the name Svanar. Worth noting is that "svanar" translates to swans in plural and not singular form. I guess that makes sense since they're a pair of IEMs but I still think it sounds a bit awkward in Swedish...
Yes to us Swedish speakers it might even sound silly. Maybe it sounds exotic and interesting to the Chinese 😃

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 28
Fang should be the first guy with the balls to ship headphones without cables at all. Everyone "upgrades" them anyway. Why bother?

You're really telling us a $2000 MSRP flagship should come with a landfill shoestring?

Edit: even IF you "upgrade" or believe in such tonality gospel, it at least gives you an opportunity to avoid adapters or have a quality back-up. At the minimum, you can have a 3.5 and a 4.4 that's not like the iSine throwaway analog cable. Stax pro bias cables aren't an aestethic anyone wants on non electrostatic items.

This may even be targeted at HP primary users who are customers of the good Doctor and are looking for an IEM from a company & tuning perspective they believe in. Not everyone has a box of adapters for IEM cabling.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 28
You're really telling us a $2000 MSRP flagship should come with a landfill shoestring?

Edit: even IF you "upgrade" or believe in such tonality gospel, it at least gives you an opportunity to avoid adapters or have a quality back-up. At the minimum, you can have a 3.5 and a 4.4 that's not like the iSine throwaway analog cable. Stax pro bias cables aren't an aestethic anyone wants on non electrostatic items.

This may even be targeted at HP primary users who are customers of the good Doctor and are looking for an IEM from a company & tuning perspective they believe in. Not everyone has a box of adapters for IEM cabling.
I'm sure anyone after a $2000 (for now...) IEM has a great cable that they've been using for years that has one of the two standard connectors.

If a company sticks to one connector across a given product type, they'll be fine.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 28
The only stock cable i like is the Audeze braided one.

Every company should work on that actually.
Focal, Sennheiser 2020 iems cable and above are the worst nightmare, et cetera
Audeze cables are easy to break. Both the flat and braided ones. Especially at the terminal ends that connect to the headphone

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 28

Funny … gotta agree with you on iems sans cables … and funny that Effect Audio did exactly that with its Axiom (but you could purchase any of EA’s cables at the same time at a slight discount or just buy the iems on there own) and got a fair bit of panning from some Headfi’ers.
I bought a set sans cable as I already had a few good ones to use and it’s a brilliant iem, love it, it’s a keeper for me.
Still available on EA’s web-site too.
Respect to EA trying something new !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back