Hifiman X100 desktop speakers
Jul 9, 2016 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jozurr

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone heard these? They've just been released (and very quietly at that).

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hifiman-x100-desktop-hi-fi-audio-system.html

Please post impressions if you have heard them. Really curious since this is their first venture  into speakers. Priced at $499.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 18
Wait so there is no sub out on the amplifier designed for this system, and thus can't be set to the preferred relative gain and then adjusted by the main volume knob? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 18
Wait so there is no sub out on the amplifier designed for this system, and thus can't be set to the preferred relative gain and then adjusted by the main volume knob? :confused_face_2:

Looks like it does have some kind of gain control on the back:

Here is the review it came from: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_624bf73f0102wj6w.html

The bigger problem is that it's an 8w subwoofer and the driver must be tiny which means no output. Check out this pic:

What is it? A 4" sub driver? That review I linked to above points out that the output is so small need to put the sub up with the speakers. Really HiFiMan? 8w? That alone tells us they don't know what they are doing. LOL

I wonder if the speakers even have tweeters in them? :rolleyes:

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 18
So they're selling the equivalent of a $99 system at $499 because hifiman?

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Maybe it has good components in it. But just doesn't seem very useful with the particular configuration that they have chosen.

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 18
I think I would go for this instead if I needed small compact speakers with a sub: https://www.amazon.com/Orb-Audio-Express-Complete-System/dp/B00GDDX032

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 18
Looks like it does have some kind of gain control on the back:

What I meant was that when you move the volume knob on the amplifier, since this gain control is not hooked up to a preamp output controlled by the same volume knob as on the main amp unit - as with digital receivers, or even plate amps that have channels for monitors, as on computer speakers - the sub will not be affected by that main volume control, hence, you'll have to reach over and move that knob too. You'll be able to set relative gain, but when you run a track or a vid or whatever that requires you to adjust the overall volume, the sub isn't going to adjust along with it, you'll reach down and adjust its gain knob independently. Look at how the diagram has the main amp unit and the sub working off a splitter from the smartphone.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 18
What the heck? What a stupid design for a 2.1 setup.

Yep, add to that how in the series of photos on the product page the sub looks to be under the table. They could have just gone with a 2.1 desktop amp since it will come with the speakers, and still use RCA on the sub so it's more idiot-proof. Dayton had such a plate amp but obviously it suffers the "oh crap why are the knobs over there?" problem unless you get a seprate preamp. In this case with a desktop form factor there would be the main volume control, a sub gain control that they can market as Bass Boost (but works on the gain rather than some kind of EQ effect), and only one power cable to plug in.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Maybe we need to get Jozurr to update his first post and say "whatever you do, don't buy this." Awful design. Super weak subwoofer.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Maybe we need to get Jozurr to update his first post and say "whatever you do, don't buy this." Awful design. Super weak subwoofer.

Plus it's $500. I mean, sure, it comes with the amp and sub, but others would just grab a set of Monoprice studio monitors and their sub, plus a preamp, and still have some change left over. And for the size of that desktop amp it outputs 1.5w per channel? Even headphone amps that size output that much at 32ohms; it might be a clean and linear amp plus high efficiency drivers though, but then again, I can't imagine why a sub preamp out can't fit in that unless it's running full Class A and is loaded with heatsinks.

That said though I was initially interested as I'm also a fan of compact systems, but for that kind of money I'd like to see:

1. A parallel preamp output on the amp (even if it's fullrange and then handled by the sub's plate amp crossover at least)
2. BT - even laptops have that built-in nowadays. If I'm listening to speakers that size and on a laptop, I'm not likely to be critically listening, on top of which if they're small but have enough bass, I can haul them out to the patio. I won't need to buy a one-piece boombox BT speaker since this is what I'll have at my work desk at home anyway. Does BT need complex certification with the FCC? I'd really much rather have this than the "dock."

If this was $149 for the amp and speakers, no subwoofer but has BT, I'd be all over it. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 18
So I keep the sub under the table. Increase the volume on the speakers, but the sub doesnt increase in volume, so I push my chair back, reach down and try and volume match to the speakers, every single time I change volume. Got it.

They should be making good planar speakers, where their speciality is, instead of selling this terrible design for $499. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozurr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I keep the sub under the table. Increase the volume on the speakers, but the sub doesnt increase in volume, so I push my chair back, reach down and try and volume match to the speakers, every single time I change volume. Got it.

They should be making good planar speakers, where their speciality is, instead of selling this terrible design for $499. 

I wouldn't mind these compact dynamic drivers with the amp though if it was being sold for $150, or just the speakers for $99. But for $499 with the sub and the two knobs? Nope.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 18
Or skip the subwoofer and redesign so that it can power HE300/400 headphones reasonably well with a gain switch for IEMs. Then they have something to market with their other products. A lot of people would love a little desktop computer speaker set up that had a plug-in for headphones that was decent since the headphone output on most multimedia speakers is terrible. Might as well through $50 worth of DAC in it as well.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Kinda insane. 

I REALLY like my Emotiva Airmotiv 5s nearfield active desk speakers ... and they're less expensive than this. 

Ditto a lot of people really like the AudioEngine A5+ active speakers ... and they're also less expensive than this. And there are some others that can be in the same conversation, performance-wise.  

The so-called subwoofer with its own volume control that is totally unaffected by the main volume control is ... there's no other adequate way to describe this ... horrendously stupid. Given the design, the only convenient location would be bolted to the bottom of your chair, because you'd have to fiddle with it all the time. 

I believe I will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back