Feb 19, 2022 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gnanodayam

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am a music enthusiast but new to HiFi audio and looking for an advice for
headphone. The thought itself has come up because of the lossless audio that
Apple recently introduced. Coming to the point, have gone through reviews and
the Susvara seemed to garner very good reviews. However most of them also do
mention that an amplifier is required to get the best out of Susvara. I do travel a
lot and would like to carry the headphones with me. So, a head phone that
requires an amp might not be best suited for my requirement. Any idea how the
Susvara sounds without the amp? Also, any suggestions from your side for the
best headphone that money can buy that doesn't require amplifiers?
Also, considering that I only listen to Apple Music, is it worth the investment?

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 12
If I were you, I would work with a dealer. You appears to have a $10k+ budget for travel solution. I presume you have a $50+ stereo setup and know what you like and dislike in terms of sound profile and requirements.

HiFi Man high end headphones sound like garbage without amp and with the wrong amp and/or source, TBH. Hope this helps.

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 12
Even at $10K, is there a headphone that doesn’t require an amp? No right? In short what I understand from your reply is that there is no point spending more unless I have the right amplifier set up. In that case may be an Abyss Diana V2 might suit my requirement? Looks like they sound great even with portable amplifiers? Let me know your thoughts please

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 12
If I were you, I would work with a dealer. You appears to have a $10k+ budget for travel solution. I presume you have a $50+ stereo setup and know what you like and dislike in terms of sound profile and requirements.

HiFi Man high end headphones sound like garbage without amp and with the wrong amp and/or source, TBH. Hope this helps.
I fully agree with you. I do have Susvara now. I thought my existing AMPs can drive. Yes it seems they can but when I tried another AMP like Reviera or Enleum, it’s sound like from different HP. So I need to decide to sell my Susvara or spend min. 6-7k € to amp.

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 12
Even at $10K, is there a headphone that doesn’t require an amp? No right? In short what I understand from your reply is that there is no point spending more unless I have the right amplifier set up. In that case may be an Abyss Diana V2 might suit my requirement? Looks like they sound great even with portable amplifiers? Let me know your thoughts please
At least Abyass is more solidly built than HFM - they are super fragile and I am very careful with mine. I honestly don't think they will survive even 1 trip in a backpack. I can't fault the sound though, it's like an electrostat with 2 subwoofer attached

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 12
I fully agree with you. I do have Susvara now. I thought my existing AMPs can drive. Yes it seems they can but when I tried another AMP like Reviera or Enleum, it’s sound like from different HP. So I need to decide to sell my Susvara or spend min. 6-7k € to amp.
If your amp can drive them fine but has a wrong signature profile, just EQ the cans. They take EQ very well. What I mean by "driving well" is on bass heavy music (including orchestras) you feel like 2 subwoofers trapped to your ears and the bass can go down forever and dynamics feel effortless.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 12
If you travel a lot, go for a DAP + HP or/and IEM setup (simpler the better). Diana Phi or TC (as suggested by others) is a already very good. You will not be getting ideal environment for critical listening most of the time while on the go anyway. Plus the bulkiness (from bigger headphones) , separate dac/amps, and wires will put you off while traveling (been there done that).

In my case I have a smartphone + IEM as my EDC. For extended trips, I carry a dac/amp + HP (when I'm in my hotel). Only that the dac/amp I have now I liked the sound very much. If not, had replaced it with a dedicated DAP a long time ago.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 12
A few words that might be of help:

- The Susvara is one of the most difficult to drive headphones out there. There is not really a mobile solution for the susvara that makes it sound half way to its potential. There are "transportable" solutions - not sure if you are willing to carry them around with you though.

- Every headphone needs an "amplifier" of some sort - even your smartphone has some amplifier circuit built it ... the question is just how capable it is :)

- One of the better mobile/portable solutions of an open headphone is (like others already mentioned) one of the Abyss Diana variants - paired with a decent DAP.
Since the Dianas are also pretty power hungry it needs to be a DAP with enough juice though. No guarantee that this is to your taste though. I personally listen to the LCD4Z more often than the Abyss Diana out of my DAP. Also depends on what music you like.

- If you really want to use it "on the go" an open headphone is not really useful anyway ... in that case probably better to go with an IEM and a DAP.

- What comes out of the headphones in the end is the sum of all pieces before it ... so from the recording to the source, the DAC, the amplifier and the headphones to your ears. Buying expensive headphones without good enough recordings and a good DAC and amplifier is therefore pretty much a waste.

- Hearing and sound perception is very personal, so asking what headphones are good is a bit like asking somebody which restaurant is good to go eating. If your buddy has the same taste and preferences as you it might be a good advice but if not then obviously not. That is why the only way to buy headphones and not end up disapponted is to try and hear them by yourself. Trying headphones in specialized shops that sell high end headphones (even if they are far away) is therefore really worthwile.
So I would strongly suggest against buying high end headphones without having heard them before - however if you have the cash just buy a few (or all of them) and keep the one(s) you like :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Thank you all for the replies. I researched a bit more and now more inclined towards Audeze CRBN electrostatics with Stax SRM-D10 portable amplifier. The weight is also very conducive for the travel (300g). When I say I would want use it when I travel, I don’t mean on the go. It will be used in the hotel room. For on the go I have zeroed in on Empire ears Odin. Would love you hear if you have any thoughts on the Audeze CRBN and Odin? Thank you

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 12
The best headphone that i have owned that was great without an amp is easily the hekse.

recently owned/own susvara, empyrean, hekse, utopia

it is perhaps in the brighter side of neutral. Imaging is very precise.

Tight bottom end that is punchy but not big or round.

highly recommend it IF it suits tour personal preference - so demo recommended.

I believe hifiman offers a 30 day money back guarantee if bought direct if you do not like it - at least they used to which i used when i bought the ananda

i have not heard any of the abyss hps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back