HifiMan Sundara vs Quad Era-1 vs DT 1990 Pro
Dec 6, 2022 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zergslayer

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I am currently on the look out for a new pair of headphones with a budget of around 400€, but the ever present question of what to get plagues me.

My recent history of 'phones includes:
DT 770 -> DT 1770 (unfortunately dead) -> WH-1000XM3 (current).

While the sound quality isn't the absolute best on the XM3, the portability isn't something I'd ever totally give up.

Have been considering getting a Bluetooth Amp/DAC like the Qudelix 5k or Fiio BTR5/7 along with some good wired Open-backed headphones.

I'm mainly going use the headphones at home (have the Sony for use outdoors), and I tend to listen to Classical, Folk, J-pop and Rock.

I've (somewhat) narrowed it down to the ones in the title, but I'd love to get some feedback.

Alternatively I've also been considering the Hifiman Deva Pro, can get them here in Sweden for 350€ and with it's complete package it is tempting but I'm a bit leery of the supposedly bad QC and build quality.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 17
I've owned all three of these--the Sundara is fine for starting out. As soon as you move up to the 1990, you hear more detail and get some more bass. The build on the 1990 is also incredible except for the headband and pads. Treble energy on the 1990 is too much for it to be enjoyable, at least for me.

The Quad ERA-1 is on a completely different level from both of these, in my opinion. It punches pretty hard (with EQ/boost), and makes the Sundara sound veiled in comparison.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 17
I've owned all three of these--the Sundara is fine for starting out. As soon as you move up to the 1990, you hear more detail and get some more bass. The build on the 1990 is also incredible except for the headband and pads. Treble energy on the 1990 is too much for it to be enjoyable, at least for me.

The Quad ERA-1 is on a completely different level from both of these, in my opinion. It punches pretty hard (with EQ/boost), and makes the Sundara sound veiled in comparison.
Since i can get the Era-1 for about 400€, just 70 more than the Sundara and the same as the 1990's, they would be your recommendation then?

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 17
Since i can get the Era-1 for about 400€, just 70 more than the Sundara and the same as the 1990's, they would be your recommendation then?
Yes, I would recommend the ERA-1 over the other two even if it was more.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 17
I agree that the quad is my favorite sounding headphone of the ones you listed and I would recommend it as well. The only thing I would mention is that it’s a pretty large headphone band, with quite a bit of space between the ear cups. I would listen on the smallest setting and it just fit.

I mention this because it’s a consideration if you’re going to be moving around a lot, bending down to pick things up…things like that. It’s not a strong clamp and they could move about.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 17
I agree that the quad is my favorite sounding headphone of the ones you listed and I would recommend it as well. The only thing I would mention is that it’s a pretty large headphone band, with quite a bit of space between the ear cups. I would listen on the smallest setting and it just fit.

I mention this because it’s a consideration if you’re going to be moving around a lot, bending down to pick things up…things like that. It’s not a strong clamp and they could move about.
True, but that seems like an issue for quite a lot of the ones I've looked at, not unique to the Quads 😅

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 17
True, but that seems like an issue for quite a lot of the ones I've looked at, not unique to the Quads 😅

What @DenverW said is totally true--I can wear it without extending either, and my head isn't small. If it's too big, you can always pad it. And if you're getting ERA-1's at that price new, send a bunch state side.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 17
What @DenverW said is totally true--I can wear it without extending either, and my head isn't small. If it's too big, you can always pad it. And if you're getting ERA-1's at that price new, send a bunch state side.
Something to keep in mind I guess. Atleast the store has a 30 day try at home, free return shipping if I find I don't like them in the end.

And sure, I'll buy them all up for you guys if you sponsor a plain ticket and hotel stay, smuggle them in for you 😉

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Something to keep in mind I guess. Atleast the store has a 30 day try at home, free return shipping if I find I don't like them in the end.

I'm listening to them now... they're great headphones. My only gripe is that they look and feel premium, but they creak... but still better than a Sundara.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 17
I never had an issue driving them, so I would think so. My main thought was to mention that if you’re walking around you’re ok, but if you’re gardening or something they’re going to slip off.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 17
Sounds good!

A Qudelix 5k should be able to drive them fine, yes?
Yeah man, I can drive them straight out of my laptop's 3.5 jack to comfortable levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back