HIFIMAN SUNDARA vs HE5SE vs HE400i
Feb 23, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 52
Interesting think:

I spent some more time today with Sundara and HE5SE
both approaching 100h mark
I prefer Sundara on Grace m9xx DAC (to NVA amp)
but HE5SE sounds more pleasing to me on Arcam Delta Black Box (TDA1541 S1 - old fashion R2R) DAC
So precision and details vs musicality (but less details - in respect of DACs as amp is as neutral as they come ( I like my amps to only work as close to wire with gain as possible)
Maybe there is something "vintage" about HE5SE sound after all

Both are really good - and that level of performance even couple of years ago was un-achievable anywhere near their price point (more so at current Sundara price)
It would make Sundara more universal in my opinion when HE5SE is more of a niche product (well it is a limited edition after all)

Time to do some pads rolling on HE5SE now ;]

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 52
Interesting think:

I spent some more time today with Sundara and HE5SE
both approaching 100h mark
I prefer Sundara on Grace m9xx DAC (to NVA amp)
but HE5SE sounds more pleasing to me on Arcam Delta Black Box (TDA1541 S1 - old fashion R2R) DAC
So precision and details vs musicality (but less details - in respect of DACs as amp is as neutral as they come ( I like my amps to only work as close to wire with gain as possible)
Maybe there is something "vintage" about HE5SE sound after all

Both are really good - and that level of performance even couple of years ago was un-achievable anywhere near their price point (more so at current Sundara price)
It would make Sundara more universal in my opinion when HE5SE is more of a niche product (well it is a limited edition after all)

Time to do some pads rolling on HE5SE now ;]
I am currently have he560v3. Is he5se is a upgrade or downgrade?

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 52
Mar 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 52
HE5Se and Sundara are different but I am not sure if that difference is big enough to buy both - Arya on the other hand is vastly different - only had a chance to listen to Anada for a brief time but it is closer to Arya than to Sundara or HE5SE -
So if you looking for a different sound signature (but still within Hifiman house signature) then one of As is for you.

I use word different rather that better for a reason - as whats better to me might be actually downgrade to others - but generally most of us can agree that some headphones are more similar to each than others and some are different - or very different.

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 52
HE5Se and Sundara are different but I am not sure if that difference is big enough to buy both - Arya on the other hand is vastly different - only had a chance to listen to Anada for a brief time but it is closer to Arya than to Sundara or HE5SE -
So if you looking for a different sound signature (but still within Hifiman house signature) then one of As is for you.

I use word different rather that better for a reason - as whats better to me might be actually downgrade to others - but generally most of us can agree that some headphones are more similar to each than others and some are different - or very different.
That's what I was looking for! Thanks for saving me the cost of an even discounted purchase!! Inexpensive and not needed still equals expensive!

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #26 of 52
Any new thoughts on the HE5se? I just ordered a pair from Adorama; they were willing to give me the earlier discount at $449.99 total. And...does anyone here know if there is anyone making 3.5mm to XLR balanced cables made with Mogami or Canare wire? I've heard nothing but good things about both with these headphones...

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #27 of 52
Bump...

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #28 of 52
not sure about Mogami or Canare but VE is doing good and reasonably priced cables
alternatively it is not too hard to make one yourself

Due to a big changes in my personal live recently I didnt have much time to play with audio gear recently - it should get better after Easter though.

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #29 of 52
not sure about Mogami or Canare but VE is doing good and reasonably priced cables
alternatively it is not too hard to make one yourself

Due to a big changes in my personal live recently I didnt have much time to play with audio gear recently - it should get better after Easter though.

I understand, man. Hope you're able to get back into it soon. I actually had to send my pair of HE5se back to the place I purchased them for an exchange; there was a static type of sound in the left ear at a specific high frequency. I contacted Hifiman, and they got back to me very quickly (which is very cool). I'll have the new pair Tuesday; I'll try to post some impressions after I get some listening in.

May 29, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #30 of 52
I understand, man. Hope you're able to get back into it soon. I actually had to send my pair of HE5se back to the place I purchased them for an exchange; there was a static type of sound in the left ear at a specific high frequency. I contacted Hifiman, and they got back to me very quickly (which is very cool). I'll have the new pair Tuesday; I'll try to post some impressions after I get some listening in.
Any impresssions on the HE5se??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back