Hifiman Sundara vs AKG K702
Apr 8, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 17
I have the k702 and 400i, and would say they are very interesting to pit against one another, and am glad I have both :)

AKG are very reference style and are quite neutral. Now that i've been modding the 400i with different earpads (which change the sound signature significantly), it's good to have the AKG there as a reference. To me the 400i is more 'fun', including the speed and depth of bass, but then you go back to the k702 and you become enamoured with the soundstage and openness.

Hope I didn't derail too much as I know the Sundara's will be slightly different (and are also on my bucket list for purchase)
That's interesting. Yeah that is a good comparison!

I guess it just comes down to which one makes my music sound better TO ME! lol

No it's cool. But I've read many ppl say they believe the Sundara is superior to the HE400i, so yeah. I may very well buy it off Amazon to test it out vs. the K702.

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 17
IME, portable devices can work ideally in rare occasions, when headphone is highly sensitive like recent Denons, V-moda, etc.. My desktop amp is too strong for V-moda. lol You can hear faint sounds even with volume all the way down. So, I believe there are ideal gain level per sensitivity range level of headphones that output the most ideal performance.

I used to think all headphones should benefit from stronger amping than portable battery sourced amping, but some of these sensitive headphones has proven to me otherwise.

Personally, I wish they'd make sensitive headphones that sound good that I can easily drive out of a smartphone. It's really convenient. It's really interesting how easily headphones can be driven if they have high enough sensitivity.

I think this hobby is dated in this sense. There's no reason these companies can put out headphones that can be easily driven (except planars).

I'm tired of theses huge lug of old ass looking amps, arn't you all? If I don't need to have space for them, the better.
Yeah I can see that happening. I def wouldn't bother using my amp/DAC on my earphones, unless I actually bought like $1000 earphones, which I'd NEVER do! lol Most I'd spend is prob $200 (like my wireless Samsung AKG Galaxy Buds+ lol).

Yes, on more sensitive ones, you def don't want to use TOO strong a source. It's all a big balancing act I guess.

Well these days it seems like more & more of headphones & earphones are being sold with lower resistance ratings and/or higher sensitivity ratings. So the # of options are def increasing. But the issue is the DAC quality on MOST smartphones still isn't up-to-par with a good amp/DAC device. Esp if you're willing to spend at least $100.

At least here in the U.S., as long as most ppl don't really show they care THAT MUCH about sound quality, then smartphones will continue to keep only offering decent but not great amp/DAC integration unfortunately.

Well if you want, I can suggest a few portable but strong amp/DACs for you to try out. I myself use the iFi xDSD ($400), which offers a semi-wireless set up that even blew away the Quad DAC (Sabre) on my former LG V30 (fully wired). It has a lot to do I'm sure with the implementation of this device, and the fact that they used a Burr Brown DAC chip, which are very highly-rated. But there are also cheaper options as well, like iFi xCAN ($300), and a few other really great ones in the $100-$200 range, including the soon to be released THX Onyx ($200) which looks like a winner too. (Let me know if you're interested and I can help ya choose one.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back