HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #1,036 of 1,057
I already got a buyer. I think my pricing is fair, even though I may have pissed off @draytonklammer ...lol.

The Shang Sr is a great pair of headphones. I'm feel fortunate to have owned them for the time I had them. They are a great experience. I hope the new owner enjoys them as much as I did.
And thanks for offering it to this little community before you opened it up for offer. :)

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #1,037 of 1,057
9k used is a really great opportunity for someone. If resolution, detail and spacing are your thing, look no further!

GLWS!

If I wasn't in the middle of a massive move I would do it myself 😢

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #1,039 of 1,057
Let’s find out, Mr. Bad Influence 🤪

Poorer Ben

Lol the funny thing is generally in life, I'm pretty frugal lol. I don't even have a car lol

But I do like seeing other people on here splurge lol

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,040 of 1,057
Lol the funny thing is generally in life, I'm pretty frugal lol. I don't even have a car lol

But I do like seeing other people on here splurge lol
I'm waiting for you to splurge on the HE-1 after you hear it :beyersmile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #1,041 of 1,057
Lol, I'll tell you right now simply.. I can't afford it haha. Can't wait to hear it though.

I do think more and more that I'm going to find a way to add the Valkyria. I think it would be excellent next to the Sr. and it's been on my mind heavily. I'm being patient and keeping an eye on the used market.. they almost never come up.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #1,042 of 1,057
Lol, I'll tell you right now simply.. I can't afford it haha. Can't wait to hear it though.

I do think more and more that I'm going to find a way to add the Valkyria. I think it would be excellent next to the Sr. and it's been on my mind heavily. I'm being patient and keeping an eye on the used market.. they almost never come up.
I'm gonna get the Valkryia. After I sell off the rest of my estat sh!t, I'm buying the Valkyria. I think I could get a good deal from a dealer or two.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #1,043 of 1,057
Sometimes I wish I could talk myself into one.
My mental block is that I would prefer to continue to work on my two-channel systems, for that level of cash.

As much as I enjoy the experience of headphones, the visceral, often shared experience of two-channel is excellent.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #1,044 of 1,057
My mental block is that I would prefer to continue to work on my two-channel systems, for that level of cash.

As much as I enjoy the experience of headphones, the visceral, often shared experience of two-channel is excellent.
To be honest, I dunno if it is better than my TC chain. I think the TC chain might even be better, but the HE-1 is still very special. If it didn't have that bullsh!t marble sh!t, it would be a lot cheaper. I'd say it's not worth $60k, but maybe it's worth $30k. I guess it's a "statement" piece, so you pay for that. I'm considering buying one to be honest, but it's a large chunk of change and there is a lot you can buy for $60k.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,045 of 1,057

This is the case for me too. My next major investment in audio will be in a speaker upgrade (Currently using the Klipsch Heresys out of the EVO 400). Mainly because they don't need to be used in isolation. It's hard to conceive dropping that kind of cash on a headphone setup that will get a fraction of the use.

To be honest, I dunno if it is better than my TC chain. I think the TC chain might even be better, but the HE-1 is still very special. If it didn't have that bullsh!t marble sh!t, it would be a lot cheaper. I'd say it's not worth $60k, but maybe it's worth $30k. I guess it's a "statement" piece, so you pay for that. I'm considering buying one to be honest, but it's a large chunk of change and there is a lot you can buy for $60k.

I think this is the sad truth across the board with premium statement pieces, the SGL Sr. included. Depending on the use case (genre you listen to, preferences, etc.) even the best of the best isn't extremely better than the general consensus affordable TOTL gear. I love the Sr. to pieces and above everything else, but if I had to pay retail or buy the entire system including the amp, I simply wouldn't have it.

If two channel speaker systems aren't in the picture I could see how that changes things though.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #1,046 of 1,057
This is the case for me too. My next major investment in audio will be in a speaker upgrade (Currently using the Klipsch Heresys out of the EVO 400). Mainly because they don't need to be used in isolation. It's hard to conceive dropping that kind of cash on a headphone setup that will get a fraction of the use.

I think this is the sad truth across the board with premium statement pieces, the SGL Sr. included. Depending on the use case (genre you listen to, preferences, etc.) even the best of the best isn't extremely better than the general consensus affordable TOTL gear. I love the Sr. to pieces and above everything else, but if I had to pay retail or buy the entire system including the amp, I simply wouldn't have it.

If two channel speaker systems aren't in the picture I could see how that changes things though.
Definitely. These "statement" pieces are nowhere near worth the asking cost. I understand that it costs a lot for R&D for these pieces, but they are priced way too high. The Shang is an awesome pair of headphones, but it should probably cost $10K new if we are being honest. The HE-1 should probably cost $25K.

It's amazing what Abyss and I guess Hifiman have been able to accomplish with the TCs and Susvara. You're getting the best that planars can provide for a "reasonable" price. The Sus probably shouldn't cost $6k, but it is what it is.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,047 of 1,057

That 30-40k range is right where I would put it as an experience tbh. I think you can do better for less, and my sus chain is an overall similar tier for the same money, but both those options have big caveats (different ones than he1) that make me put it there. If it's any consolation, I'm not sure I would buy one again. Think I'd rather just get he90 and play with chains

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,048 of 1,057
Definitely. These "statement" pieces are nowhere near worth the asking cost. I understand that it costs a lot for R&D for these pieces, but they are priced way too high. The Shang is an awesome pair of headphones, but it should probably cost $10K new if we are being honest. The HE-1 should probably cost $25K.

It's amazing what Abyss and I guess Hifiman have been able to accomplish with the TCs and Susvara. You're getting the best that planars can provide for a "reasonable" price. The Sus probably shouldn't cost $6k, but it is what it is.
It'll always bother me that Sennheiser doesn't build an HE 900 that's essentially a 580V HE-1.
I'd bet they could sell it for $10,000 a pair and make a few bucks. Heck, I would preorder one.

Obviously, the design would differ slightly. Maybe a hair more distortion and slightly different FR (albeit, almost the same) but basically the same sound and technicalities.
It could end up being better with some of the 580V options on the market, though...

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #1,049 of 1,057
It'll always bother me that Sennheiser doesn't build an HE 900 that's essentially a 580V HE-1.
I'd bet they could sell it for $10,000 a pair and make a few bucks. Heck, I would preorder one.

Obviously, the design would differ slightly. Maybe a hair more distortion and slightly different FR (albeit, almost the same) but basically the same sound and technicalities.
It could end up being better with some of the 580V options on the market, though...

They tested a passive he1 at sennheiser and said it was bad enough they never pursued it further (I asked about converting mine to passive). Just tbh, as a transducer alone, I wouldnt be suprised if he1 was simply the best to exist easily surpassing shang and aperio. But those electronics with it are serious ass.....

Unfortunately, with senn consumer no longer having access to the film deposition machine we are unlikely to see another estat any time soon, but I realy do hope they make one.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #1,050 of 1,057
Well, I'm done with the Shang. Listened to my last album. It was a good ride. Sad to see them go. Estats just aren't for me 🤷‍♂️

Now time to maximize my planar/dynamic chain. Once I sell my 3ES elite, I'll have some money to play around with, so we shall see. Still, I may just keep my current chain. I'm buying the motherfukcing Valkyria though...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back