HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #676 of 1,057
The reason you don't see aftermarket designs for STAX and in general electrostat is due to capacitance and the invariably proven track record of incompetence in this space.

There are now at least eleven companies making STAX compatible amps (not counting people who will contract to build a one off amp like a T2). By my count there are now at least seven companies making STAX (pro bias) compatible headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #677 of 1,057
There are now at least eleven companies making STAX compatible amps (not counting people who will contract to build a one off amp like a T2). By my count there are now at least seven companies making STAX (pro bias) compatible headphones.
You may want to frame a point more directly.

Pro bias is the standard in this space so STAX compatible is not meaningful.

The in-direct question was why aren't there aftermarket cables for electrostatic headphones.

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #678 of 1,057
You may want to frame a point more directly.

Pro bias is the standard in this space so STAX compatible is not meaningful.

The in-direct question was why aren't there aftermarket cables for electrostatic headphones.

There are some current production electrostatics that are not pro bias (HE-1 and Sonoma Acoustics) plus a lot of older models that are still available used, so it seems meaningful to me. However, I did not pickup that by "aftermarket designs" you meant cables, sorry. I'm not a cable believer, so 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #679 of 1,057
There are some current production electrostatics that are not pro bias (HE-1 and Sonoma Acoustics) plus a lot of older models that are still available used, so it seems meaningful to me. However, I did not pickup that by "aftermarket designs" you meant cables, sorry. I'm not a cable believer, so 🤷‍♂️.
Aftermarket cables are not only about "to some perceivable" vs "to others not" sonic improvement, you can be in either camp, I won't judge. This being said, another factor with cables is their ergonomics, touch and feel, how much they coil, how stiff they are, how long/short you want them, if they are loud (microphonics, slapping your table/chest), stuff like that. Stock headphone cables are usually terrible at this "usability" category, so if you don't think there are any differences in sonic performance between cables, that's all fine, you still may benefit from a better build quality.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #680 of 1,057
Aftermarket cables are not only about "to some perceivable" vs "to others not" sonic improvement, you can be in either camp, I won't judge. This being said, another factor with cables is their ergonomics, touch and feel, how much they coil, how stiff they are, how long/short you want them, if they are loud (microphonics, slapping your table/chest), stuff like that. Stock headphone cables are usually terrible at this "usability" category, so if you don't think there are any differences in sonic performance between cables, that's all fine, you still may benefit from a better build quality.

Very good points. I absolutely think that electrostatic headphones should have detachable cables. I had to replace my 009 cable due to a fault and it was a PITA. That said, lack of a detachable cable would not influence my purchase decision, but I'd still prefer it.

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #681 of 1,057
Gotcha. Whether you are a cable believer or not is irrelevant to the aforementioned point of discussion.

I'll clarify on my end, the reason why there are limited aftermarket cables for electrostatic headphones is because dealing with capacitance is an issue.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #682 of 1,057

Types de traductions​

Traduction de texte​

Texte source​

Hello I received the Meitner / Viva STX / Sangri LA Senior system
Everything has been said about this exceptional Headphones in terms of sound;
it is light, comfortable, the cable seems indeed fragile but let yourself be forgotten as it is so light, it has the major flaw for me not to be detachable from the headphones... The leather headband also seems very fragile to me, I protected it with cling film. I would not comment on the price…. If you buy it and have listened to it before, you will surely be disappointed: be patient; I had to let it run for 2 hours to find the magic. "Breaking in" (I can't find the English term) of the tubes of the Viva STX amp?
Do you know if the Hifiman LA Senior has been measured and if so can you give me a link to find the curves? Thanks in advance

825 / 5000

Résultats de traduction​

Hello I received the Meitner / Viva STX / Sangri LA Senior system
Everything has been said about this exceptional Headphones in terms of sound;
it is light, comfortable, the cable seems indeed fragile but let yourself be forgotten as it is so light, it has the major flaw for me not to be detachable from the headphones... The leather headband also seems very fragile to me, I protected it with cling film. I would not comment on the price…. If you buy it and have listened to it before, you will surely be disappointed: be patient; I had to let it run for 2 hours to find the magic. "Breaking in" (I can't find the English term) of the tubes of the Viva STX amp?
Do you know if the Hifiman LA Senior has been measured and if so can you give me a link to find the curves? Thanks in advance

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #683 of 1,057
Here is a measurement of the Shangri La . ( Red line )
The green curve is the Harman Target 2018 .

EC2E1477-8E4C-491A-BBF4-752F5F57C656.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #686 of 1,057
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #690 of 1,057
Hallo MAISONOBE AALAIN .

If you have the option to use a Parametric EQ , this is an excellent idea 😉

( And a little experimentation is also good.
zB. at 1850 Hertz instead of 6 decibels only 4 decibels add ,
or the bass Shelf instead of 6.7dB maybe only 3,5 dB etc. .)

I found these settings too .

Best Greetings , Nomos

6086B13B-4E2A-4C03-9CCD-9AE6E5736D07.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back