Hifiman Serenade - Himalaya Pro R2R DAC headamp all-in-one
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #121 of 252
Our review of the Serenade is now live with comparisons to the YULONG DA10, FiiO's K9 Pro ESS, and the Shanling EM5 :)

https://headfonics.com/hifiman-serenade-review/

1702459818833.png
Nice review, thanks. Would you mind commenting on the performance using it as a DAC through line out? I find it sad that many reviews of devices (amp/dac or DAP) that have a line out are not evaluated as DAC only, specially one like this which has a custom R2R DAC with it's own flavor. By using it as a complete package, we get an evaluation of the amp against other manufacturers amps, we don't get the feel of how their custom DAC sounds versus ESS or AKM competitors. Many thanks again, I'm always on the lookout for your new reviews. :thumbsup:

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #122 of 252
Nice review, thanks. Would you mind commenting on the performance using it as a DAC through line out? I find it sad that many reviews of devices (amp/dac or DAP) that have a line out are not evaluated as DAC only, specially one like this which has a custom R2R DAC with it's own flavor. By using it as a complete package, we get an evaluation of the amp against other manufacturers amps, we don't get the feel of how their custom DAC sounds versus ESS or AKM competitors. Many thanks again, I'm always on the lookout for your new reviews. :thumbsup:

Give me a few days on that. I did actually try the DAC out on the Prelude, but it was a few weeks ago, and I want to refresh my memory on the tiny details. The general feeling was that it was not as warm or as 'soft'. The Prelude is more dynamic and resolving compared to the Serenade equivalent headphone amp.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #123 of 252
Give me a few days on that. I did actually try the DAC out on the Prelude, but it was a few weeks ago, and I want to refresh my memory on the tiny details. The general feeling was that it was not as warm or as 'soft'. The Prelude is more dynamic and resolving compared to the Serenade equivalent headphone amp.
Wow would you say that the amp of the serenande itself is soft? Thats very interesting

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #124 of 252
Wow would you say that the amp of the serenande itself is soft? Thats very interesting

Softer compared to the Prelude, but soft 'per se' I cannot confirm until I try a few other amps.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #125 of 252
Give me a few days on that. I did actually try the DAC out on the Prelude, but it was a few weeks ago, and I want to refresh my memory on the tiny details.
Thanks a lot, appreciated 👍🏼

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #126 of 252
I have got my device. A modest, neat device.
:)

Серенада в стойке.jpg

The impression right out of the box is that this device is at least much better than the Fiio K9 Pro and Singxer SA-1 bundle.

Only Kennerton Thekk is at hand now - but it sounds very good with this source.
Precisely, distinctly, harmoniously. With a good scene.

I am very glad that I bought a Serenade

The difference in sound compared to the K9 Pro + Singxer SA-1 bundle is audible even on small (office) iLoud Micro Monitor speakers - noticeably better resolution, deeper and more precise bass, and everything related to vocals is just fine.

The treble is quite neat. Not to say that they are muted, but slightly "tidied up".

The controls are simple and intuitive.

Of the minuses, low-resistance IEMs (Snowy A7, Shanling me800) frankly hiss with this device.
That's where the Ifi IEMatch adapter came in handy, which is fine.
Especially on the bass - I have never heard such basses from my Shanling me800.

Strangely enough, there is not much heating noticeable.
30 minutes of use - the case is slightly warm.

It was written that Serenade is more suitable for dynamic headphones than for gliders, but Kennerton Thekk planar headphones sound very good on Serenade.

On the Singxer SDA6 + Aune S17 Pro bundle, they sounded pretty flawed - flat and not very interesting.
And even more so for bundle of Fiio K9 Pro and Singxer SA-1.
And with a Serenade, it is quite complete.
I thought about replacing them with something - but no, they will still serve very well.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #127 of 252
Nice, if you have some time, would you mind giving your impression using the Serenade line out feeding your Aune amp. This would give us an impression of how the DAC in the Serenade sounds versus using it with it’s own amp.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #128 of 252
Loftprojection, the DAC is good, musical, dark background, strong dynamics , toe tapping and great slam!.

Am using Eversolo A6 as transport stream (in Ethernet iFi Lan silencer) to (out USB Odin Cable Hifiman Serenade) RCA stereo out Odin Cable to Felix Audio Euforia to HE1000SE.

Attachments

• IMG_8539.jpg
    IMG_8539.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8546 1.jpg
    IMG_8546 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #129 of 252
Loftprojection, the DAC is good, musical, dark background, strong dynamics , toe tapping and great slam!.

Am using Eversolo A6 as transport stream (in Ethernet iFi Lan silencer) to (out USB Odin Cable Hifiman Serenade) RCA stereo out Odin Cable to Felix Audio Euforia to HE1000SE.
Wow, love your kit, did you ever try another DAC with this setup, impressions versus Serenade? I’m using a NOS, tube, MHDT Orchid feeding a Unison Research SH tube amp. I’ve tried a few other oversampling chip DACs that really don’t satisfy me so I’m always interested on impression of R2R DACs since it seems to be the closest sound signature to what a NOS DAC sounds like. Thanks, enjoy the Euphoria, I’m jealous! Haha

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #130 of 252

Doesnt Serenade come with streamer function as well? Do you notice a step up from using by using DMP-A6 as a network transport compared to serenade's internal streamer? (or direct USB connection from PC or Mac). I am asking cause I am also interested in cutting the usb connection by adding network transport in my chain. Any input will be helpful. BTW, I am also HE1000SE user as well:raised_hands:

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #131 of 252
Loftprojection, i also have the Chord Mojo, the only DAC i have not heard which i wanted are the latest Eversolo A8 AK Dacs. I find the Serenade better than the Mojo more relaxed, equally detailed and top end well controlled.
drspeter, i have spent days trying to get Tidal Connect stable on the Hifiman Serenade as of now Hifiman is getting Tidal certification. I can assure you the Tidal Connect through ethernet sounds good lowers the noise floor versus pc usb. I have a 7950x3D PC , a great PSU Corsair and Gigabyte motherboard, no noise from the USB i ensured that.
I found playing through USB the music is about 10% more impact, through Serenade ethernet streamer which i originally planned (save money no need buy Eversolo A6) but when it works its great, lower noise background about 20% versus USB PC. but there seems to be Tidal server error, once you off the serenade and try Tidal Cast on iphone, android phone or PC it gives such error. I am sure its not a hardware fault just tidal server needs to update to allow reset of the tidal stream over the serenade.
also i find that i could only use Tidal Connect not Qobuz nor Apple Music which does not have Qobuz connect and Apple does only with Airplay up to CD quality.
With Eversolo A6 all of these native apps in the A6 does 24bit 192khz, i tested them all tonight except Apple Music which surprisingly in the market i know so far only Eversolo A6 and A8 also Fiio R7 can output lossless up to 192Khz. More report soon to follow.
Verdict so far with Eversolo A6 as Streamer (must use USB - so the DAC side clock will be used - not coaxial or optical from A6) i find this very smooth even smoother than direct stream ethernet to Serenade. And all the apps works and with a screen to navigate. Sad thing is none of the apps can download the songs except Apple Music (to be tested soon). My logic for download is (1) keep the storage in Eversolo to be useful and most importantly when locally stored the data are permanent and does not rely on the internet, server which sometimes could be slow or have error and cause the music to stall or be less than perfect (digital error correction CD days).

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #132 of 252
Loftprojection, i also have the Chord Mojo, the only DAC i have not heard which i wanted are the latest Eversolo A8 AK Dacs. I find the Serenade better than the Mojo more relaxed, equally detailed and top end well controlled.
drspeter, i have spent days trying to get Tidal Connect stable on the Hifiman Serenade as of now Hifiman is getting Tidal certification. I can assure you the Tidal Connect through ethernet sounds good lowers the noise floor versus pc usb. I have a 7950x3D PC , a great PSU Corsair and Gigabyte motherboard, no noise from the USB i ensured that.
I found playing through USB the music is about 10% more impact, through Serenade ethernet streamer which i originally planned (save money no need buy Eversolo A6) but when it works its great, lower noise background about 20% versus USB PC. but there seems to be Tidal server error, once you off the serenade and try Tidal Cast on iphone, android phone or PC it gives such error. I am sure its not a hardware fault just tidal server needs to update to allow reset of the tidal stream over the serenade.
also i find that i could only use Tidal Connect not Qobuz nor Apple Music which does not have Qobuz connect and Apple does only with Airplay up to CD quality.
With Eversolo A6 all of these native apps in the A6 does 24bit 192khz, i tested them all tonight except Apple Music which surprisingly in the market i know so far only Eversolo A6 and A8 also Fiio R7 can output lossless up to 192Khz. More report soon to follow.
Verdict so far with Eversolo A6 as Streamer (must use USB - so the DAC side clock will be used - not coaxial or optical from A6) i find this very smooth even smoother than direct stream ethernet to Serenade. And all the apps works and with a screen to navigate. Sad thing is none of the apps can download the songs except Apple Music (to be tested soon). My logic for download is (1) keep the storage in Eversolo to be useful and most importantly when locally stored the data are permanent and does not rely on the internet, server which sometimes could be slow or have error and cause the music to stall or be less than perfect (digital error correction CD days).
thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that DMP-A6 is worth a spent money. I read from the DMP A6 user forums that internal SSD storage sounds quite good too, which will be my main source of music if I happen to buy one for me. I also like the streaming services but many of those have remastered versions (too compressed and loud) of old records which I prefer. DMP A6 is certainly a standing out option for me so happy hearing from the user's expererience. Thanks :) Hope you have happy experimenting with your new gear!

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #133 of 252
would you mind giving your impression using the Serenade line out feeding your Aune amp.
Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to be able to check this out anytime soon. I use the S17 Pro and Serenade geographically in different places. Quite far from each other.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to me that Serenade needs an additional amplifier - it copes with all tasks perfectly on its own.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #134 of 252
Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to be able to check this out anytime soon. I use the S17 Pro and Serenade geographically in different places. Quite far from each other.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to me that Serenade needs an additional amplifier - it copes with all tasks perfectly on its own.
It better, thats the point of an all in one haha

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #135 of 252

HEKSE owner here as well as DMP-A6. Running the Eversolo internal DAC via RCA direct to my Violectric V340 (RCA input only). Was thinking of getting rid of the Violectric as the sound is on the polite side. I do like the clarity of the HEKSE/Violectric combo, but it sometimes is less emotionally engaging. I guess I am looking to warm up/smooth out the HEKSE a bit. Was thinking of getting a Prelude and a R2R DAC to go with it, but Serenade might be a good one and done. My concern is that I am used to the clean/detailed presentation of the V340 that the Serenade might be more of a step down in resolution than I am comfortable with.

Stetup 1.jpg
Setup 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back