HiFiMAN ruined my other headphones. DAC/Amp question.
Jan 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bustaplz

New Head-Fier
Been listening to my HE-500's since Christmas. Now I can't listen to music through my DT770/80 or Grado SR125. I feel like listening to music just got a lot more expensive.

triportsad.gif

Right now I'm using an HRT Music Streamer 2 and Musical Fidelity V-CAN mk2. ~$350 for both.

I'm already eyeing some upgrades, of course. The Schiit Bifrost is really pretty, and seems to get some love around these forums. It's $450, which is slightly more than I want to spend on a DAC, but I'll do it. I'm wondering if anyone has used the V-CAN with these phones and might have an opinion on power output required. Does the V-CAN have enough to get everything out of the HE-500?

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 10
The specs on your DAC and amp are pretty good except for maybe the V-Can's power.  If you don't hear it getting harsh at high volumes then more power probably won't help too much.

Where you looking to anything in particular from an upgrade?

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 10
The only real complaint I have currently is sub-bass output with the HE-500. It really seems a bit weak, especially in comparison to my DT770. The bass is much better quality, but it doesn't seem to really reach down low. Maybe I'm just a basshead. I've noticed that if I lift the earpads off of my ears just a bit, the bass output goes way up. Of course that's not very useful but I thought it was interesting. I may try to experiment with some different pads.

The first listen I had on these phones was through a Rega DAC to Musical Fidelity M1HPA and V-CAN2. I'm not enough of an audiophile to be able to explain the differences in sound I heard between the two amps, but I know that I liked the sound through the M1HPA more. As far as a DAC upgrade... I figure it can't hurt to upgrade from a $150 DAC at some point. But I'm thinking that an amp would probably have more effect on the sound?

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 10
My He500 is soon on the way. And I hope for this to happened. That way I can sell my other cans :p

I am gonna pair it with a audio gd NFB-10SE (499usd) with balanced out.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
The only real complaint I have currently is sub-bass output with the HE-500. It really seems a bit weak, especially in comparison to my DT770. The bass is much better quality, but it doesn't seem to really reach down low. Maybe I'm just a basshead. I've noticed that if I lift the earpads off of my ears just a bit, the bass output goes way up. Of course that's not very useful but I thought it was interesting. I may try to experiment with some different pads.

The first listen I had on these phones was through a Rega DAC to Musical Fidelity M1HPA and V-CAN2. I'm not enough of an audiophile to be able to explain the differences in sound I heard between the two amps, but I know that I liked the sound through the M1HPA more. As far as a DAC upgrade... I figure it can't hurt to upgrade from a $150 DAC at some point. But I'm thinking that an amp would probably have more effect on the sound?

Well the DT770 just have more bass than the HE-500 and nothing but tone controls or EQ is going to do much about that.

Beyond that, are you looking for some gear that happens to be more accurate or are you looking for some sort of synergy with the HE-500 that just sound subjectively pleasant?

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
My He500 is soon on the way. And I hope for this to happened. That way I can sell my other cans :p

I am gonna pair it with a audio gd NFB-10SE (499usd) with balanced out.

I would like to hear your impressions on how the HE-500 pairs with the NFB-10SE. I've been thinking about going for a used HE-500 or an HE-400.  Btw what do you mean you will use it "balanced out?" Do you have to recable the HE-500s to do that or is there another output that's "balanced?" Thanks in advance.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I would like to hear your impressions on how the HE-500 pairs with the NFB-10SE. I've been thinking about going for a used HE-500 or an HE-400.  Btw what do you mean you will use it "balanced out?" Do you have to recable the HE-500s to do that or is there another output that's "balanced?" Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I will post impression on the combo :)

You have to have another cable that have XLR out like this:
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=112

NFB-10SE puts out almost 6W in 50ohm balanced out, this should drive the HE500 very nice. Theoretically speaking.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 10
The V-can can be upgraded to put out 500mw per channel if you're willing to ship it out to the folks at Rock Grotto. I'm planning on buying a fully rebuilt one with new glass, mil-spec guts, and these gigantic mil-spec panasonic mil-spec caps. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, I will post impression on the combo :)

You have to have another cable that have XLR out like this:
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=112

NFB-10SE puts out almost 6W in 50ohm balanced out, this should drive the HE500 very nice. Theoretically speaking.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation :) Looking forward to hearing more about it. Can you post impressions using the combo SE vs. balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back