HiFiMan RE-400 vs Soundmagic E80
Mar 12, 2017 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BoomBap08

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, guys!

I'm currently in the lookout for a midcentric iem with good amount of treble extension, airy/wide stage presentation, and precise imaging to be used solely for vocalcentric, instrumental jazz/acoustic, and live tracks.

I've already spent days and weeks reading and re-reading reviews/impressions/posts about these two boys but I'm yet to find a thorough, in-depth comparison between them. So if any of you have, guys, have already tried both, then please, hit this thread up with your knowledge.

My budget revolves just around $40-70 so I might just cop a used unit and that's why I'm also considering Dunu Titan 3 if ever as someone is selling me his titan 3 for just $70.

Anyway, hoping for your responses.
Thanks!

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Have only heard the RE-400 once and it was a while ago. I own the E80. One difference between the two for sure is durability. The E80 is built like a tank. The RE-400 is somewhat fragile and really not very durable at all. I'm sure you read about this, but it is worth saying again. I love my E80. It sounds awesome and is easy to get a good fit. Bass is fantastic. Very detailed. It is a great buy at its price point. It gets my vote.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey, man, big thanks for the response!

Anyway, I'm not really much into durability as I tend to treat my gear like babies lol! What I'm all about is the sq between these two.

Can you say that the E80's treble extension is good but not that shrill/harsh? I don't want smoothed out highs and overly warm sig as I already have one in the form of the Fidue A65.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey, man, big thanks for the response!

Anyway, I'm not really much into durability as I tend to treat my gear like babies lol! What I'm all about is the sq between these two.

Can you say that the E80's treble extension is good but not that shrill/harsh? I don't want smoothed out highs and overly warm sig as I already have one in the form of the Fidue A65.

E80 treble is extended but not harsh or sibilant. Bass is excellent and the mids are not recessed. Would not characterize as warm, personally. That is how I experience them. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back