HiFiman RE 400 vs Massdrop HiFiman RE 00
Jun 4, 2016 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hatmann

100+ Head-Fier
What most potential buyers want to know is -- Can anyone compare the HiFiman RE 400 and the Massdrop HiFiman RE 00?

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 7
There are plenty of RE 00s out there to compare with the RE 400s.

Who has owned both?

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I just got my RE-00 from Massdrop on Friday.  I assume that information about the Massdrop RE-00 will start rolling in now that they have finally shipped.  I also have the RE-400.  I will try to give them both some head-time and see what I can tell you.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 7
All my listening impressions are based on the Fiio X3 first generation as source.  For $35 the RE-00 has pretty good sound.  They are a little south of neutral on bass, but have great mids and non-fatiguing highs.  They only come with two pairs of tips and no other accessories though, unless future versions change that.  They sound great with rock, acoustic, probably classical as well.  They don't sound the best on bass-centric music.  However, the soundstage is a bit difficult to determine left and right, but it doesn't sound too closed in like some IEMs.  There is also a bit of fuzziness to the overall sound compared to the RE-400.  Basically, I don't think they can compete overall with RE-400 and I would get whichever one you can afford.  If it were myself, I would find a used pair of RE-400.  No wait and the used price is reasonable and you get all the accessories.

Edit: I would add that I enjoy listening to them both. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Any more comparisons between these 2?
I tend to prefer my new RE-00, athough it might be a case of a ''new thing-buy'' that preference than anything else. But yes, for the time being I like the RE-00 more as they are more resolving and wider sounding to my ears. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Lately I have been thinking that it might be the case that the RE-00 just didn't come with enough tips for me.  When I first got my RE-400 I was very disappointed in the sound until I tried the very last pair of tips included in the package.  The only one that worked at all for me was the black ones with the large sound channel opening.  They were also pretty thin and formed a good seal.  Before I tried those I really hated the RE-400.  I should give the RE-00 a try with the same tips to see if I get the same clear sound I get with RE-400.  I might need to spend more time with RE-00 as well, I only posted my first impressions.  The RE-00 is just a back-up pair for me and doesn't get much head time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back