Hifiman New "Comfort Headband" Mod guide (HE6seV2 etc!)
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ufospls2

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

So, as with quite a few of the hifiman headphones currently, the HE6seV2 comes with a non suspension band model, seen below.

he6se_v2-800-1.jpg

This is not the comfiest of headbands, and leads to hotspots for lots of users. There are lots of solutions, but I wanted to find something easy, quick, and reversible. The most common option to change over to, is the Sundara style headband, but it doesn't have swivel for the earcups - A major problem.

The best option from Hifiman is "the newly enhanced comfort headband" seen below.

headband_1.jpg

But of course, it's not that simple. This headbands needs a mod of some kind to work. The most common that I have seen involves removing the drivers from the cups, and using a pencil or pen to push out the receptacles which the screws, screw into. This leaves space for the knobs on the comfort headband, as seen below

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 1.03.12 PM.png

Now, I didn't trust myself with removing the drivers etc...as I can't solder and if I screw something up, its on me. I needed a non invasive method, but still wanted to use the enhanced comfort band from Hifiman. What I did is below.

You will need

-A power drill
-Grinding stone drill bit
-drill bit ever so slightly larger than the screws from the original headband which secure the cup to the yoke

Thats it.

Step 1: Use your grinding bit, like the one below, to grind off the knob in the third photo, until it is flat and flush with the rest of the yoke. Repeat on all 4 knobs.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 1.06.06 PM.png

Step 2: Use you drill bit to drill a hole through the plastic for the mounting screws to fit through. I put the area in question in boiling water for 30 seconds to make the plastic a bit less rigid, simply to try and prevent cracks. I don't know if this is necessary, but it can't hurt. (x4)

Step 3: Simply put the cups in place, and screw in the mounting screws from the original headband so the secure the cups to the yokes (x4)

And thats it. You can now use the newly enhanced comfort band from hifiman with your round hifimans. Hope this helps someone, let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_2423 2.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 14
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 14
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 14
Nice. Yeah I didn't want to do that as I wanted to the option to go back to the original headband just in case. Either way seems to work great!
You can always reinsert those pins if they are not damaged during removal. But I like your approach, quite creative.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 14
You can always reinsert those pins if they are not damaged during removal. But I like your approach, quite creative.
Ah interesting! I didn't know that. :thumbsup:

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Hey guys,

So, as with quite a few of the hifiman headphones currently, the HE6seV2 comes with a non suspension band model, seen below.

he6se_v2-800-1.jpg

This is not the comfiest of headbands, and leads to hotspots for lots of users. There are lots of solutions, but I wanted to find something easy, quick, and reversible. The most common option to change over to, is the Sundara style headband, but it doesn't have swivel for the earcups - A major problem.

The best option from Hifiman is "the newly enhanced comfort headband" seen below.

headband_1.jpg

But of course, it's not that simple. This headbands needs a mod of some kind to work. The most common that I have seen involves removing the drivers from the cups, and using a pencil or pen to push out the receptacles which the screws, screw into. This leaves space for the knobs on the comfort headband, as seen below

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 1.03.12 PM.png

Now, I didn't trust myself with removing the drivers etc...as I can't solder and if I screw something up, its on me. I needed a non invasive method, but still wanted to use the enhanced comfort band from Hifiman. What I did is below.

You will need

-A power drill
-Grinding stone drill bit
-drill bit ever so slightly larger than the screws from the original headband which secure the cup to the yoke

Thats it.

Step 1: Use your grinding bit, like the one below, to grind off the knob in the third photo, until it is flat and flush with the rest of the yoke. Repeat on all 4 knobs.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 1.06.06 PM.png

Step 2: Use you drill bit to drill a hole through the plastic for the mounting screws to fit through. I put the area in question in boiling water for 30 seconds to make the plastic a bit less rigid, simply to try and prevent cracks. I don't know if this is necessary, but it can't hurt. (x4)

Step 3: Simply put the cups in place, and screw in the mounting screws from the original headband so the secure the cups to the yokes (x4)

And thats it. You can now use the newly enhanced comfort band from hifiman with your round hifimans. Hope this helps someone, let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_2423 2.JPG

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Hi, I'm a little amazed that barely anyone has responded to you on this thread. The screws are definitely the way to go, and they offset the plastic of the yokes with a touch of metal which they needed, not to mention the upgrade in stability. May I ask, when you bought "the newly enhanced comfort headband', did it come with the model number pictured in the photo from Hifiman or are they all black such as yours? Also, could you please upload another pic of these from side on so that I can get a good look at the screws? I've just bought a pair of these headphones and it's been a mission deciding on a replacement headband. Sadly for me, the aesthetics are just as important as the quality of the sound.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Hi, I'm a little amazed that barely anyone has responded to you on this thread. The screws are definitely the way to go, and they offset the plastic of the yokes with a touch of metal which they needed, not to mention the upgrade in stability. May I ask, when you bought "the newly enhanced comfort headband', did it come with the model number pictured in the photo from Hifiman or are they all black such as yours? Also, could you please upload another pic of these from side on so that I can get a good look at the screws? I've just bought a pair of these headphones and it's been a mission deciding on a replacement headband. Sadly for me, the aesthetics are just as important as the quality of the sound.
The only issue is I get a bit of rubbing between the headphone and the yokes, which some people might find annoying. I think I could probably figure out a way to fix this if I was doing it again. Doesn't bother me personally and the comfort upgrade is nice. The headband doesn't come with any model information printed on it, plain black :thumbsup:

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 14
The only issue is I get a bit of rubbing between the headphone and the yokes, which some people might find annoying. I think I could probably figure out a way to fix this if I was doing it again. Doesn't bother me personally and the comfort upgrade is nice. The headband doesn't come with any model information printed on it, plain black :thumbsup:
Oh thanks for the reply, I didn't see it while I was rambling about Dremeling. Yes I thought it might rub a little, wouldn't bother me either if it meant extra security.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi there, one more question, what exactly is it you would do differently if you had to do it again? I just ordered one. Thanks in advance.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Hi there, one more question, what exactly is it you would do differently if you had to do it again? I just ordered one. Thanks in advance.
I'd just try to be more accurate with drilling the holes, lining it up as best I could. Also, I might try to thin out the yoke where the little stud you grind down is. I think that if that was thinned out slightly by grinding it down further, there would be more clearance and the cup wouldn't rub against the yoke. Also, if you find it doesn't work out for you, if I was doing it again, I'd also try something along the lines of the link below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...sea!CA!917541084!A&curPageLogUid=XUcPmpl1gU4D

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 14
There are several Aliexpress bands that look like they might work.

I find the HFM suspension headbands too small for my big head. @ufospls2 Possibly 6se cups touching the yokes because the cups have to rotate so much to make up for the short band.

For 6SEv2, I found pilot pad headband supports to work well.
IMG_0734.jpeg

^ This is a cheap $15 set from Amazon that needed a little modification to make work with 6se. ZMF sells some fancier pilot pads but for more money.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 14
I'd just try to be more accurate with drilling the holes, lining it up as best I could. Also, I might try to thin out the yoke where the little stud you grind down is. I think that if that was thinned out slightly by grinding it down further, there would be more clearance and the cup wouldn't rub against the yoke. Also, if you find it doesn't work out for you, if I was doing it again, I'd also try something along the lines of the link below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005588893913.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.4f6a2c43QJMwmH&algo_pvid=f5d93a88-5834-4681-bf3e-818674ca6779&algo_exp_id=f5d93a88-5834-4681-bf3e-818674ca6779-3&pdp_npi=4@dis!CAD!58.72!58.72!!!306.94!!@2103223016938518138431981e6c1b!12000033663661153!sea!CA!917541084!A&curPageLogUid=XUcPmpl1gU4D
Cool, thanks for all the info. I was tossing up between the Hifiman and that same headband from AliExpress, I've read that it's good quality, great price too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back